Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 8804 times)

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 06:34:51 PM »
Right now I am reading The Final Chapter of Chance McCall by Stephen Bly.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »
Last night I read, "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Lee Dugard. I followed her case closely so I really wanted to read this. If you recall she was abducted on her way to school when she was 11 and held captive for 18 years in the backyard of Phillip and Nancy Garrido.

Read the book this morning.  It was a good book.  Her story is beyond horrible, but she told it well.  

Phillip Garrido was sentenced Thursday to 431 years to life in prison in the kidnapping and sexual assault of Jaycee Dugard, who was held captive from age 11 to 29 by Garrido and his wife, according to the El Dorado County, California, district attorney's office.

His wife, Nancy Garrido, 55, was sentenced earlier in the day to 36 years to life in prison for her role in the abduction and rape, said Garrido's attorney, Stephen Tapson.

Dugard didn't appear in court Thursday for the sentencings, but she submitted an emotional statement that was presented by her mother, according to Dugard's media representative, Nancy Seltzer.

Jaycee Dugard, now 31, called the Garridos "evil" and described their captivity of her as a "sexual perversion" forced upon her for 18 years.

A statement by Dugard's mother, Terry Probyn, was also read in court.

The Garridos, a married couple, pleaded guilty in late April in El Dorado County Superior Court to charges of kidnapping and sexual assault.

Dugard was abducted from the street in front of her home in South Lake Tahoe, California, in 1991. Authorities found her in 2009. During those years, the Garridos held Dugard in a hidden compound on their home's grounds in Antioch, California. She bore two daughters, fathered by Phillip Garrido.

Dugard's written statement, presented during Phillip Garrido's sentencing, was lengthy.

"I chose not to be here today because I refuse to waste another second of my life in your presence. I've chosen to have my mom read this for me," Dugard wrote.

"Phillip Garrido, you are wrong. I could never say that to you before, but I have the freedom now and I am saying you are a liar and all of your so-called theories are wrong. Everything you have ever done to me has been wrong and someday I hope you can see that.

"What you and Nancy did was reprehensible. You always justified everything to suit yourself but the reality is and always has been that to make someone else suffer for your inability to control yourself and for you, Nancy, to facilitate his behavior and trick young girls for his pleasure is evil. There is no God in the universe that would condone your actions," Dugard said.

"To you, Phillip, I say that I have always been a thing for your own amusement. I hated every second of every day of 18 years because of you and the sexual perversion you forced on me," she continued.

"To you, Nancy, I have nothing to say.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-02/justice/california.garridos.sentencing_1_jaycee-dugard-terry-probyn-phillip-garrido?_s=PM:CRIME

PS
Her oldest daughter's birthday is tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:16:38 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
I read this not that long ago and wanted to share with you:  http://www.amazon.com/Drug-Muggers-Medications-Essential-Nutrients--/dp/1605294160/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340127621&sr=8-1&keywords=drug+muggers

I really recommend it.  It's written for the average/non-medical professional person to understand, and I hope you find it helpful.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »
When checking out the above link, I found this one:

Could It Be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses
Presenting a wide scope of problems caused by B12 deficiency, this comprehensive guide provides up-to-date medical information about symptoms, testing, diagnosis, and treatment. Written for both the patient and the interested layperson, this detailed book outlines how physicians frequently misdiagnose B12 deficiency as Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, mental retardation, Parkinson’s disease, depression, or other mental illnesses. Now in the second edition, this resource has been thoroughly updated with the latest research, diagnostic tests, treatment options, case studies, and testimonials.
http://www.amazon.com/Could-It-Be-B12-Misdiagnoses/dp/1884995691/ref=pd_sim_b_7

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  Can't imagine how I never read it before.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »
When checking out the above link, I found this one:

Could It Be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses http://www.amazon.com/Could-It-Be-B12-Misdiagnoses/dp/1884995691/ref=pd_sim_b_7

That's the B12 book I read and posted about in the past.  I really recommend that one, too.  Tons of good info, and not too much medical babble, so the average person can understand it.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 08:25:23 AM »
I never Promised You a Rose Garden - Joanne Greenburg (aka Hannah Green)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 08:24:58 PM »
Just finished Lisey's Story by Stephen King. It is interesting, not like any of his other works. It has a similar feel (but not a similar story line) to Insomnia. Apparently many King fans don't like this one, but I like it very much.

Possibly about to re-read the Dark Tower Series, but I am contemplating picking up the Alex Cross series by James Patterson instead.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »
Right now am reading the Doomsday Brethren series by Shyla Black:

http://shaylablack.com/meet-the-brethren/

Sometimes I like a little witchcraft or vampires and werewolves thrown into some romance.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 05:13:33 PM »
Dee do you read Yasmine Galenorn's books? She's a friend of mine- an internet friend, true but we've known one another and our cats for years.  We met on an old CompuServe forum long time ago.  Then when the forum split we both moved to the new forum.  She's a cool lady..

I've never read any of her books though, not my genre. :)

I just finished the Call The Midwife books.  They are the memoirs of Jennifer Worth, who was a midwife in the East End of London after WWII.  I enjoy the show even more now that  I have read her books. (It's a PBS British drama based on the books)

Now I'm re-reading Marjorie Mornginstar by Herman Wouk while I wait for some library books by Ann Hood to come in.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:29 PM »
I've read the Chintz 'n China Series!!!

Not read anything else from her though. But that set is in my Calibre.

CompuServe. LMAO. The good ol' days. We both just dated ourselves BIG time!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline CatsAndDogs

• Yapper
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 11:56:17 AM »
Oh, cool! A books thread!  thumbsup1

I am currently reading The Affair, a Jack Reacher book by Lee Child.

As often happens IMO, the Reacher books are so much better than the movie Reacher.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 08:37:04 PM »
Books are always better than movies.  IMHO
Right now, I'm reading Readers Digest.  That is all my attention span can handle lately.  :(

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 08:02:45 AM »
After I finished The Historian (for the second time, not as scary as the first) I needed something light so I got out my Anne of Green Gables books. Love them. :)

Almost done though so I really do need to make a library list.

Offline CatsAndDogs

• Yapper
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »
This is a non-fiction book that I think I need to buy for my Kindle, based on the author's articles which I've read. Atul Gawande is amazing.

The topic may be too dark for some but it's an important subject and Dr. Gawande writes very well. He is certainly not boring.

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
http://www.amazon.com/Being-Mortal-Medicine-What-Matters-ebook/dp/B00JCW0BCY/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1413229239

Articles from Atul Gawande:

We Have Medicalized Aging, and That Experiment Is Failing Us
The prescription, he argues in "Being Mortal," is to rethink our priorities for the dying—and give 'em something to live for.
http://www.motherjones.com/media/2014/10/atul-gawande-being-mortal-interview-assisted-living

No Risky Chances: The conversation that matters most. (End of Life Medical Decisions)
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/10/end_of_life_medical_decisions_atul_gawande_book_excerpt_on_no_risky_chances.html

Letting Go: What should medicine do when it can’t save your life?
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/08/02/letting-go-2?printable=true

Tags: