Author Topic: Has anyone tried...  (Read 2385 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Has anyone tried...
« on: March 02, 2013, 01:31:21 PM »

Has anyone here tried aromatherapy or "Holistic remedies" for their pets? Did you have good results with it? Since it's been formulated by a vet, I'm asking b/c I saw this:

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2012/09/11/qa-how-to-choose-spirit-essence-remedies/

And I'm wondering about trying some of these for Barkly's loud-noise fear.

http://www.spiritessences.com/category-s/1849.htm

I'm really not sure which one would be most appropriate for specific fear though--a lot of them sound like they'd be good for it (if it works). I don't want umpteen bottles of flowery smelling stuff that would set off MY allergies.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Has anyone tried...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »
Hi DeeDee,

If Rescue Remedy doesn't help (the pet version doesn't have alcohol in it), maybe this will:  http://www.calmingcollars.com/index.html.

I've read different things about using essetial oils and aromatherapy, but mostly for cats, and my impression was that it wasn't a good idea because, in the case of essential oils, it gets absorbed through the skin and then the liver has to filter it, and it can't.  As for aromatherapy, my thinking is that cats and dogs have a much better sense of smell than I do, so I don't want to overwhelm them with something.  I hope that makes sense . . . I think I'm babbling.   Bumpurr1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »
Oooo...I like that collar a lot better than the sprays. It looks like something that wouldn't affect ME as badly as a lot of sprays do. Almost any kind of flower (magnolias and gardenias are the 2 exceptions I know of) makes me sneeze my head off.

I'm going to get one, THANK YOU! I don't think the scents on the collar would linger the way a spray will.

I want to help Barkly, but seriously, ignoring his actions when he gets upset over the guns shooting on weekends, or trying something like this are the only ideas I'm left with. That thundershirt didn't work with him over this problem.

Edit: I ordered him one. We'll see if it works...starting with the vacuum. Poor dog is looking miserable. And I really hate having to take him outside when people are target shooting all over the place. He does nothing but pull back toward the house and it's a chore to get him to potty those days.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:31:43 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
You're welcome!  Crossing fingers fingerscrossed and paws that it works for him!  Poor little guy . . .  
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
I'm reallllllllly looking forward to hearing if it helps Barkley.  If it does, I want to give one a try.  Not the same situation, but Our Sparky (dog) is verrry skittish, which often results in "bad" reactions.  We do a LOT of "working around" with her. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:45:33 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
That's cool. I didn't know if I was supposed to put it here where we were originally talking about my getting one, or make a new thread. See? You always decide for me if I can't make up my mind the right way!  DrLisaPiersonWorthy   :D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Re: Has anyone tried...
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 01:41:17 AM »
There aren't any cut and dried rules.  I just didnt want info, concerning a great product, to get "lost" in a thread.

Tags: