Author Topic: CalmingCollars.com  (Read 4207 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
CalmingCollars.com
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
We got ours today, and here's the Twitter post I made to a blogger about how it worked:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/l8sokf

@my_petcareguide I promised everyone a review of the @DebMendez calming collar once I had a chance to try it.

We received it in the mail this morning--that was fast!

My first impression is "GREAT! I'm not going to be allergic to THIS 'fix'!" It doesn't smell like flowers the way so many other tranquility items do. It's got an herbal smell that doesn't make this allergy sufferer start one of her sneezing fits. This means it's not going to bother me in the RV either!

Well it's a nice, warm day here in Middle Tennessee, so sure as the guarantee of death, the target shooting starts. This is the BIGGEST problem we have with Barkly. So when it got almost time for his afternoon walk (5 minutes before), I put the calming collar on him. I have to add, it looks cute as all get out on him too!

We head outside. As soon as he gets on the patio steps, BANG, BANG, BANG! He looks up, and just keeps on going down!!! Now how's THAT for immediate success??? His ears stayed up, his tail stayed up, and there was no indication at all of his usual bolt back to the door!

The weekend target practice that goes on almost every weekend, all year long, especially on warm days, is OBVIOUSLY NO LONGER an issue! Since this has been his biggest issue, I feel that the Calming Collar will work on ANY of his noise-fears.

I DID also turn on the vacuum while he had it on, and no reaction from that either. The only downside I can see is that Vlad seems to want to try to get it away from him--I think to eat like he does with every other stuffed thing he can get his mouth on.

If I find any of the issues he has, that I can't test on right now--thunder and fireworks--aren't fixed with the Calming Collar, I WILL write another review for you all, but with the lack of reaction to the gunshots, I doubt I'll have to do that.

So, for the Calm-Me-Down Calming Collar from @DebMendez http://www.calmingcollars.com Dee says Barkly gives it four paws up!

Barkly and Dee DEFINITELY recommend this to others!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:31:59 AM by Lola, Reason: Changed subject line »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: CalmingCollars.com
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »
THANK YOU, POOKIE!!!!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »
That is soooooo cool the collar works for Barkley!! Nice to know it isn't just another lame gimmick.  I'm impressed and will definitely give one a try for our Sparky. 

LOVE too that is doesn't have any over-powering smells.   thumbsup1 thumbsup1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »
Well with my allergies being as bad as they are, that's one thing that really worried me. If something sets me off I can sneeze for an hour at a time until I get some Benedryl to work. It says clearly on the site though that you can return them for a refund; so, I figured, why not?

It truly shocked me that it worked that well though, despite reading all the claims on her Facebook page. Mainly it smells like sage to me, but I couldn't tell you what the rest of the smells are--no herbs I know of that I've ever grown for cooking.

I'll forever be grateful to Pookie for telling me about the collars. I'm always afraid of aromatherapy (flowery most of the time) or putting something into their mouths when I don't have a full chemical breakdown of the ingredients they're using. Some "holistic" things can actually be poisonous--like using black walnut for heartworm preventative. A lot of people do it, but there's always this ONE case...you get my drift.

Don asked me when I took them out, "What's that you've put on him now?" with one of those weird what-have-you-done-now-men-looks. Then he had an "Oh %&#@" look on his face when those shots rang out. Then confusion. Then a "Well &*%$! His ears are still up and he's not jerking."

I just said, "She's got a patent on it, and if it doesn't work I can send it back."

Don said, "It works, and no you can't send it back!"

LOL

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »
I'm so happy that the collar worked for Barkley!  That's wonderful!

I had heard about this from IBDKitties.net and I know she's used it on her cats with success, so I felt very comfortable passing that information on.  I've read conflicting things about using essential oils on pets, with some saying it's safe and others saying it's not.  So the collar seemed like a much safer solution.

Thanks for sharing your success story!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:37:28 AM »
Yep...this thing works on strong-storm anxiety too! The storm hit, Barkly went into his usual circling around the room mode, put the collar on and within 30 seconds he took a big breath of air, puffed it out, and laid down!

Yep, this is one of the best aids I've ever had for ANY canine problem!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 12:22:51 PM »
AWESOME!  I'm so glad it works for him!    multistars multistars woohoogif happydance1 yaygif bananamiddlechild BanWooHoo tiggerbounce coolgif2 multistars multistars

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »
I ordered one for Sparky yesterday!   dogstir1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »
Keep us posted, Lola!   :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »
Keep us posted, Lola!   :)

You know me...    :)

I didn't order one sooner, because I thought a dog is supposed to wear the collar all the time.  (Our dogs chew each other's collars off... for fun.)  I read up on the collars yesterday.  Learned the dog only wears the collar, during stressful situations.  When not in use, put in air tight baggie in the dark... it will last longer.

Sparky is due for her rabies shot, in a few months.  I'm not expecting miracles, but...If it should stop her from wanting to take a chunk out of the vet...I'll be doing commercials for the collars!   

I thought about getting one for Jenkins (cat).  I would be able to get it on him at night.  But...I've been able to get close to him in short spurts, during the day.  And... I can pet him a LOT, when he is snuggled up with Lilly, in my bed for the night.  I really thought the vet experience would have set him back for a very long time... but it didn't! 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »
Sparky is due for her rabies shot, in a few months.  I'm not expecting miracles, but...If it should stop her from wanting to take a chunk out of the vet...I'll be doing commercials for the collars!   

I know I shouldn't laugh, but . . .  funny2

Congratulations on the progress with Jenkins!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »
I know I shouldn't laugh, but . . .  funny2

Congratulations on the progress with Jenkins!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

She just gets soooooo nervous... she reacts.  Scares the heck out of me.  He (the vet) just stays sooooo calm about it all.  He has never once made me OR Sparky feel badly. 

I don't want my dog to bite anyone... whether I can be sued or not.  I just find it interesting that a vet can't sue a pet owner, unless the pet owner purposely withheld info about their pet.  However a pet owner can sue the vet, if their own dog bites the owner.  A vet is the "professional," therefore should know how to handle the pet.  I'm willing to bet it is the insurance companies that force the lawsuits. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 05:09:49 PM »

I thought about getting one for Jenkins (cat). 

Do like I did. Test it by holding it up to the other one's nose. If it works....THEN order another! :D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 04:23:16 PM »
Got it on Monday... SCREAMING fast delivery!  Very well made and several material choices.  It is as cute as can be.  Oh, and it is adjustable. 
I want to be perfectly clear... I am reallllllllllllly reallllllllllllly reallllllllllllly sensitive to smells.  I have it sealed in two plastic bags and can still smell it, when I enter the room where it is being kept!  I was kinda hoping to have Sparky wear it, while in the house.  That is NOT going to happen...gives me a headache and sore throat. 
The cats all run from it, when I take it out of the bag.
I will test it on Sparky, when she is outside.  If it does work, I will takes allergy meds and have her wear it during the vet trip.
On the other hand, if I find the smell unbearable... how about Sparky? 
Hubby has no issues with the odor.  He has to put his nose right up to it, to get a good whiff. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 05:03:19 PM »
That's odd....for some reason, despite my allergies from the devil, I haven't had a bad reaction to it.

I'm sorry you're having such a problem with it.

Maybe you should just send it back?

Tags: