Author Topic: What My Dog Did Today...  (Read 8853 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: What My Dog Did Today...
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
"Write that complaint in Chapter 4 of your Mommy Dearest book."

cryingfunny
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2016, 04:15:52 PM »

funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2017, 04:21:25 PM »
Lacy dog loves to be outside.  However, not when it is 100 plus degrees.  The funny thing is... she will go to the back door to be let out.  I open the door.  She feels a blast of heat, and turns back around.  We do this several times a day.  lol 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2017, 08:18:33 AM »
When there was Lacy and Sparky... interaction between dogs and cats was limited and supervised.  Sparky had a strong dislike for one particular cat.  Soooooo it was just easier to be safe, rather then sorry.  I didn't realize it at the time, but due to Sparky's dislike... we automatically had Lacy follow the same "rules," more often then not.

Anyway... with just having Lacy, we are seeing just how sweet she interacts with the cats.  It is hard to explain.  She plays with the ones that want to play.  She gives space to the ones that want the space.  If a cat wants to nap with her in her bed... that is fine.  If a cat wants her bed to his/herself... she will gently nose them over to make room for herself.  She is respectful, but not a pushover... best I can explain. 

Just thought of another example... :)
This morning, Lacy and I were coming in from outside.  Coming in through slider doors that have film on them.  We can't see inside.  I opened the door.  Jenkins was laying in front of the door that opens.  Lacy and I stop to give Jenkins time to move.  He doesn't.  So Lacy gives him a little nudge with her nose.  It was a very SLIGHT nudge.  Jenkins moved, but he had a few words to say also.  lol  Lacy didn't respond in any way to Jenkins' reaction. 

Never saw this last year.  LOVE it!

Lacy goes with me when I take my car through the auto car wash.  Then we drive through McDonalds.  I get her a regular hamburger.  No bun.  No condiments.  Just a plain hamburger.  It usually takes some repeating, because the drive through window person is pretty sure s/he heard me incorrectly. 

Son says to me... "When we were allowed fast food, we had to order exactly what was on the menu.  We had to scrape off anything we didn't want." 

Hilarious!

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2017, 09:59:30 AM »
Hubby and I met a friend for dinner last night.  Before we left, I opened the door to let Lacy outside.  She went out the door and turned right back around to come back in.  That means... "too hot to be outside and I don't have to go potty." 
We were gone less than 4 hours.  When neither hubby or I are home, we put her in the master bedroom with no cats.  It isn't uncommon for her to be "locked up" for 7-8 hours a few days a week.  Anyway....apparently she had to go potty, during the time we were at dinner.  The door and two walls needs some fixing now.  She has NEVER done anything like that before!  I am really surprised she didn't just potty on the floor.  The room is pretty big... she could have used a spot, far from where she sleeps.  Plus, there is a rug in the bathroom. 
She shot out the door like a race horse, when we got home! 
The walls and door can be fixed, but I don't ever want her to feel like that again.  I wonder if she would use one of those pee pads, in an emergency. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2017, 10:13:43 AM »
Some pads already have an attractant in them, but you can always add more. Just Google "attractant for housetraining a puppy" and several different brands come up.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »
I wonder if she would use one of those pee pads, in an emergency. 

Poor Lacy!  I was thinking the same thing.  Might be worth a try.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
Hubby and I met a friend for dinner last night.  Before we left, I opened the door to let Lacy outside.  She went out the door and turned right back around to come back in.  That means... "too hot to be outside and I don't have to go potty." 
We were gone less than 4 hours.  When neither hubby or I are home, we put her in the master bedroom with no cats.  It isn't uncommon for her to be "locked up" for 7-8 hours a few days a week.  Anyway....apparently she had to go potty, during the time we were at dinner.  The door and two walls needs some fixing now.  She has NEVER done anything like that before!  I am really surprised she didn't just potty on the floor.  The room is pretty big... she could have used a spot, far from where she sleeps.  Plus, there is a rug in the bathroom. 
She shot out the door like a race horse, when we got home! 
The walls and door can be fixed, but I don't ever want her to feel like that again.  I wonder if she would use one of those pee pads, in an emergency. 

Here's an instance when this post never showed up for me under new posts.

Anyway sorry to be dumb but I don't understand. Or maybe I do, not sure. Are you saying she tore up the walls and door trying to get out?

Poor girl!  You would have to train her to the pee pads I think. But I don't know, there are some dogs that just have too much of a sense of what should be, to pee in the house at any time.

A doggie door in the bedroom wall leading to an enclosed space?  Like what you have for the cats, but just left opened for her, only when she is in there alone, when you are out?  As she gets older it may be more difficult for her to hold it, so it might be a good idea to train her to something like this, now.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »
Yes, she damaged two walls and the door... she was wanting out of the bedroom and into the rest of the house.  The damage wasn't in a location that leads to outside.  I guess it is possible that there may have been scary noises (left over firecrackers maybe) that scared her.  I just assumed she had to go potty.  She definitely had to go potty, when we got home. 

Actually, scary noises would make a lot more sense... going by her usual reaction to scary noises.  And the damage not being to a wall or door that leads to the outside. 

We did think about enlarging the cat door (it is in the master bedroom) that goes to the outside enclosure.  BUT for that door to be big enough for Lacy to get through... it would also be big enough for a human to get through.  I don't live in a very good neighborhood. 

Not to be gross...but over the years, as our (now deceased) dogs aged... accidents happened. We just assumed that was normal.  We never had an old dog not have an accident inside the house. 

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:53:43 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2017, 08:41:18 PM »
Not to be gross...but over the years, as our (now deceased) dogs aged... accidents happened. We just assumed that was normal.  We never had an old dog not have an accident inside the house.

That's not gross at all.  Just part of living with our precious furkids.

Oh so the tearing up you think was caused by something upsetting her ot the need to toilet? I did get that wrong then.

Well I envisioned the dog door leading out to a secure enclosure.  Chain link, as opposed to the cat set up which is probably more easily broken into, relatively speaking.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2017, 10:42:14 PM »
Since Lacy had to go potty reallllly bad, when we returned home.... I assumed she did the damage that she did, because she had to potty and no one was home to let her out. 

As I was posting (the 5:41pm post today), it hit me that maybe some scary and/or loud noises scared her... and she just wanted out of the bedroom NOW.   

Random thoughts that were going on in my pointed head...
Lacy is not normally a destructive dog. 
Loud noises do scare the holy heck out of her! 
Wouldn't it be more likely that a dog that had to tinkle really bad, would likely (not always... but likely) tinkle on the floor?
A dog having to go potty so badly... would that dog be more likely to scratch on a door or wall that leads to the outside...rather then an inside door and wall?

Cat enclosure.... it has a door on the outside for humans to get in and out.  It could be padlocked.  The enclosure is not anchored to the block wall.  It is really heavy.  A cat wouldn't be able to move any part of it.  An adult human wouldn't be able to easily move it either.  BUT it could be done, if a person wanted in badly enough.  Lastly, the cat enclosure flooring is the same tile as in the house. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2017, 10:53:53 PM »
Wouldn't it be more likely that a dog that had to tinkle really bad, would likely (not always... but likely) tinkle on the floor?

Just my opinion, but I think that would depend on the dog.  I suspect some are so well-trained or . . . fastidious that they will actually hold it, unless they really just can't.

A dog having to go potty so badly... would that dog be more likely to scratch on a door or wall that leads to the outside...rather then an inside door and wall?

Maybe she didn't realize there was a door to the outside?   :-\  She came in the room that way, so maybe that's (in her mind) the only way "out?"

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2017, 11:05:12 PM »
Wish I could just ask her! 
Part of me kinda hopes it was a potty issue.  I can figure out a fix for that.  And having to potty has got to be better, then being scared out of her mind. 

Useless info:  ;)
We didn't even potty train her really.  She was a young pup when we got her, but she just "followed" what the other dog did.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2017, 11:08:50 PM »
Wish I could just ask her! 

You could get an animal communicator to ask her . . .  :D

Useless info:  ;)
We didn't even potty train her really.  She was a young pup when we got her, but she just "followed" what the other dog did.

She's a smart girl!  I bet she'd catch on with the pee pads quickly.   :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2017, 05:03:17 AM »
I know how you feel though, thinking of her in such distress.  Hug1

Tags:

'Hare