Author Topic: The H3N2 flu  (Read 1486 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
The H3N2 flu
« on: April 01, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
Remember when the H3N2 (newer) dog flu was going around last year making a lot of dogs REALLY sick?

Well now Zoetisus has a killed virus vaccine for it for dogs. https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/CanineInfluenzaVaccineH3N2/  (Though it seems now that cats have been getting H3N2 in shelters, there's no vaccine for them--yet.)  It's a viral illness, so I think that an initial shot and a booster would cover it for a few years like most other viral vaccines do. (I don't even consider bacterial infection vaccines anymore since they don't last that long, don't really cover a lot of strains in things like Lepto, and seem to have more reactions than other vaccines in the overall canine population.)

My question for all of you before we go for yearly checkups this month (heartworm tests, Vlad's electrolytes, possibly blood tests for Barkly after I talk to vet, etc.) is do you think I should consider a vaccine that's THAT new? H3N2 has made a lot of dogs pretty sick since last year from what I've heard. 

Should I even bring up the subject about it by asking if they've had any pets come in with it?

If they've had pets with it come in to their office, should I ask about the vaccine for the boys? (Remember, Vlad's immune system can be a lot lower than "healthy" dogs and we have to be there every 28 days.)

Or, should I just play dumb unless it's brought up to me--and then reject it citing it being a new vaccine without a long-term amount testing having been done?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:57:38 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: The H3N2 flu
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »
Well . . . (you already know before I get started what I'm going to say, right?)   :D

Or, should I just play dumb unless it's brought up to me--and then reject it citing it being a new vaccine without a long-term amount testing having been done?

I'd go with this option.  You feed them a very healthy, raw diet.  You monitor and research everything.  They get fresh air, exercise and lots of love.  My personal opinion is that if the animal is healthy, their immune system will be strong enough to fight off viruses and bacteria, and diet is a HUGE part of keeping them healthy.  You're already doing that.

As for Vlad . . . I still think I'd wait.  I know he has Addison's, but that said, I'm not sure I would be comfortable having his immune system deal with a vaccine (and all the stuff in it) when he already has enough going on.  Besides, vaccines are to be used in healthy animals only, not ones with chronic or acute diseases, and it says this on the label (or at least, they used to).

And to your point:  this is a new vaccine.  We don't know what the long-term effects are when using it.  Until the manufacturer does long-term studies, or there's more information, I wouldn't be too anxious to have it given to my pets.

Here's my other issue:  viruses usually enter the body via the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth).  The body has a system in place to deal with them when they enter that way.  I don't like vaccines, like the human flu shot, because you are bypassing the body's natural defenses and putting the virus (and preservatives) directly into the bloodstream, which is what the body's normal defenses try to prevent.  I would think that actually stresses the immune system even more than normal exposure to the actual virus.  If the vaccine was a nasal spray, I would have less of an objection (but still have the other objections). 

Just 2cents from the "Anti-Vaccine Queen."   :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:48:33 AM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: The H3N2 flu
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »
Well . . . (you already know before I get started what I'm going to say, right?)   :D

I'd go with this option. 

This is the way I'm leaning too. I just want to be prepared in case it comes up. I'd reject it for a couple of months anyway even if I weren't going to reject it completely. They just had their 3-year rabies on the 19th of March, and I wouldn't want other vaccinations that close to it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: