Author Topic: Cross Contamination?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Cross Contamination?
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:44:22 AM »
Probably a dumb question.  My theory is... if I'm wondering, someone else must be too.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

One variety of our raw meals is me grinding the meat, organs, and adding needed supplements... yadda, yadda, yadda.  I grind a minimum of 20 pounds of one protein at a time.  I like to grind enough meat to make it worth cleaning the grinder.  No, it isn't difficult.  It is just tedious, making sure every little nook and cranny is washed and dried well. 

I have always ground only one protein at a time because of the words ... "CROSS CONTAMINATION."  :)  However, would cross contamination really be an issue? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Cross Contamination?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 12:11:44 PM »
I'm asking because... the neighborhood grocery store has a lot of different meat on sale.  I would like to purchase a boat load and do all the grinding at one time.  :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
Well, I can tell you that cross contamination is a big enough issue that the health department will knock points off of a restaurant inspection if there is any evidence of can openers, etc. not being cleaned properly.

So, I'd at least clean it between changing over to different types of meat. Even if it wasn't anything more than rinsing and then dipping the blades in some chlorine rinse.

http://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/files/26437.pdf
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
I do understand the importance of not cross contaminating... in general.  We have pet food supplies.  Bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, spoons, etc that are used for pet food only.  All meat and supplies are on the counter before beginning the process, so NOTHING else will be touched!  The kitchen counters are cleaned before, during, and after.  I think I am pretty anal about keep raw "germs" away.  :)

What I meant was... in the instance of grinding meat for pet consumption only... will raw germs from chicken really do anything to raw turkey meat? (Just an example.) 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:44:52 PM »
I don't think so.  Many people feed mixed proteins, after all.

For humans, at least how I understood it, is because some people don't cook beef products thoroughly but poultry always has to be cooked entirely.  So one has to be careful not to mix chicken with beef..for humans.

I am careful when cleaning Mazy cat's food processor too.  In fact, after I have finished cleaning it and make sure there are no little specks left anywhere, I wipe it down with alcohol before putting it away.

By the way, those tiny bits of meat that don't get scrapped off to be used in the food, kind of cook in the hot water when I am washing them.  I discovered at the first use that those tiny cooked bits clog my sink drain strainer very quickly and they are impossible to get rid of.  I now place a paper towel over the drain strainer before dumping the dish pan after washing the processor.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »
What I meant was... in the instance of grinding meat for pet consumption only... will raw germs from chicken really do anything to raw turkey meat? (Just an example.) 

I wouldn't think it would be such a problem in pets . . . they have shorter GI tracts than we do, which is why bacteria (in raw food) not such an issue for them.  So unless you had a pet that was allergic to a certain protein, I don't know that it would be a big deal.  But I could be wrong.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 10:10:36 PM »
My only thought about cleaning between different proteins is that I've read quite a few people making mistakes and ending up with sick pets from contaminated meat.

However, if you clean between different kinds of protein, you lessen the chance of risking contamination of ALL of your meat. It's fairly easy to throw out just one protein if you find something has gone wrong and your pet gets sick. It's harder to force yourself to throw away ALL of the meat (that you processed with that problematic item) if something goes wrong.

We have pet food supplies.  Bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, spoons, etc that are used for pet food only.  All meat and supplies are on the counter before beginning the process, so NOTHING else will be touched! 

I'm anal enough that we've got one section of cabinets that is separate from all others that is used for dog prep, serving, everything and nothing human goes on that cabinet section at all. I can wipe it down a million times, and I'd still not want any of my food to be there.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:13:09 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 09:25:58 PM »
My only thought about cleaning between different proteins is that I've read quite a few people making mistakes and ending up with sick pets from contaminated meat.

However, if you clean between different kinds of protein, you lessen the chance of risking contamination of ALL of your meat. It's fairly easy to throw out just one protein if you find something has gone wrong and your pet gets sick. It's harder to force yourself to throw away ALL of the meat (that you processed with that problematic item) if something goes wrong.

Very good point!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »
Well.... I was thinking if cats and dogs (others, not mine) eat out of trash cans, eat poo, lick unidentifiable things, etc... cross contamination is likely to be a non-issue.  HOWEVER, I didn't grind different proteins this time. 
By the time I was finished cutting, grinding, mixing, and packaging the turkey... I was DONE for the day!   Silly7

Tags: