Author Topic: Smelly socks  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Smelly socks
« on: October 15, 2016, 09:02:10 AM »
When I started my new job three years ago I also discovered footless tights and lined tights, both of which I was, and still am, thrilled with. 

So I bought knee highs, (labeled as trouser socks) to go with them.

The problem is, they smell like dirty socks and I can't get the smell out.  NO other socks I wear smell.  My cotton socks do not smell.  My smartwool hking socks do not smell.  Just these.  I am going to have to stop using these because it's embarrassing to have such smelly socks.  I change my footwear for going to the bank and PO and going home for lunch, leaving my shoes and socks under my desk.

I've ordered a pair of smartwool hiking sock liners to see if they will work, if they do I'll buy a bunch of them instead.

I hope they fit in my work shoes (Clark shoes slip on loafers).

I have tried spraying and soaking the socks with fizzion.  I have tried soaking the socks in baking soda and vinegar.  I have tried washing the socks in boiling hot water. Nothing takes the smell out.

But the odd thing is, my FEET do not smell.  My shoes don't smell.  Just those socks.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Smelly socks
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 03:47:36 PM »
After washing/drying them, try freezing them like people do with jeans to keep them newer longer. They say the freezer kills bacteria that causes smell.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »
I just remembered. I saw some parents in a local board talking about this stuff. What you're describing sounds like what happens to sports uniforms. (I can actually still smell that smell if I think about it.)

Maybe soaking in this stuff would remove the smell? http://www.holabirdsports.com/2toms-sports-detergent-30-oz.html
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »
After washing/drying them, try freezing them like people do with jeans to keep them newer longer. They say the freezer kills bacteria that causes smell.

There is no room in my freezer for socks.  Thanks for the tip though

I just remembered. I saw some parents in a local board talking about this stuff. What you're describing sounds like what happens to sports uniforms. (I can actually still smell that smell if I think about it.)

Maybe soaking in this stuff would remove the smell? http://www.holabirdsports.com/2toms-sports-detergent-30-oz.html

Thank you Dee.

I really don't see me buying special cleaner and doing all that extra work for socks that cost $10 for 4 pair or whatever it was. I bought a dozen of them when I first started my new job. The fact is, even if they smell fresh when I put them on, by the time I change my shoes at 11 (3 hours wearing them) they smell. I'm going to find different socks and throw these pieces of crap away.

I bought some at Walmart and some at Penney's but they both have the same problem.

I am just grateful the tights don't have the same issue.  They smelled terrible at first (everything you buy at Walmart smells terrible) but with about 30 washings when I first bought them I finally got rid of the moldy walmart smell and they are okay.

Tags: