Author Topic: Gas cap problem  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Gas cap problem
« on: November 18, 2016, 08:09:03 PM »
Last winter I had to replace the gas cap on my car.  The new one has a much smaller grip and I am having a lot of trouble getting it open.  It's been bad enough in summer but now that winter is coming it's going to be even more difficult.

My hands are just too arthritic they don't have the strength to get it open because I can't get a good grip on it.  Today I really though I was going to have to go into the store and ask for someone to come open it for me.

Doing that all winter is not my idea of fun.

I searched on amazon but didn't see anything that had a bigger grip. 

Any ideas?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Gas cap problem
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 08:45:52 PM »
I wonder if those grip do-hickeys used to open jars of food would work.  They are smaller and cheaper.  I have something similar to this...
https://www.amazon.com/Jar-Grippers-Grip-Slip-Rubber/dp/B004HM1E3Y
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 09:30:24 PM »
No they don't work because you still have grip the handle and to put pressure on the cap.  It has to be pressed down and turned while gripping the little handle and the handle is too small, my gingers can't grip it right, and I just don't have the wrist and finger strength to do it.

My hand and wrist still hurt from finally getting it open this afternoon.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 10:17:06 PM »
I wonder if those grip do-hickeys used to open jars of food would work.  They are smaller and cheaper.  I have something similar to this...
https://www.amazon.com/Jar-Grippers-Grip-Slip-Rubber/dp/B004HM1E3Y

Yeah, I was wondering if the "rubber husband" would work, too, but then I saw MC's reply.   I don't have anything to suggest.  That's one nice thing about living in Jersey -- we don't have self-serve gas here.  An attendant pumps it for us.   thumbsup1

I hope the device you ordered works, MC!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 01:51:51 AM »
No they don't work because you still have grip the handle and to put pressure on the cap.  It has to be pressed down and turned while gripping the little handle and the handle is too small, my gingers can't grip it right, and I just don't have the wrist and finger strength to do it.

Makes sense. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Gas cap problem--Hey Brandon
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »
Don't order anything again. Go to Autozone http://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-cap?filterByKeyWord=gas+cap&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false&newYmme=true

or Advance http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3/gas-caps/15390?isAllVehicle=true&showTitle=&vehicleIdFromReq=-1&vehicleIdSearch=-1

or O'Reilly http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=gas+cap

I like Autozone best because they'll even replace my wipers for me instead of having to wait for hubs to do it. (I haven't done it since the first time I tried it and cut my finger on one back in the 90's. Call me a wuss, but oh well.)

Where's Brandon when we need advice for stuff like this?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 09:10:09 PM »
Don't order anything again.

Miss Bossy! 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »
PS
FTR, I did get your tone.  I'm just razzing you. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 09:22:04 PM »
Miss Bossy! 

LOL. Sometimes live men are useful though. Really.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 08:07:10 AM »
Don't order anything again. Go to Autozone http://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-cap?filterByKeyWord=gas+cap&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false&newYmme=true

or Advance http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3/gas-caps/15390?isAllVehicle=true&showTitle=&vehicleIdFromReq=-1&vehicleIdSearch=-1

or O'Reilly http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=gas+cap

I like Autozone best because they'll even replace my wipers for me instead of having to wait for hubs to do it. (I haven't done it since the first time I tried it and cut my finger on one back in the 90's. Call me a wuss, but oh well.)

Thanks Dee.  But I really need something to save my hands.  I think I'm going to order both styles of those things I posted links to and see which works best for me. Amazon has the one I found in the arthritis foundation too so I can order both from Amazon.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 10:42:42 AM »
But I really need something to save my hands.

That's what I'm talking about. You can go in, tell them your problem, they'll find something, and you can try it before you buy it.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »
That's what I'm talking about. You can go in, tell them your problem, they'll find something, and you can try it before you buy it.

Oh I see what you are saying.  Sorry I misunderstood.  Yeah,  I'm not likely to do that. I loathe actual physical brick and mortar shopping of any kind, resent any time having to spend doing anything like that, though I do grocery shop still (even though my sotre now offers shopping to go service)

I think the red thing will be more useful to me, but I decided having both wouldn't be a bad thing.

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »

I wouldn't be much help :/
Brandon

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 01:24:03 PM »
Yeah,  I'm not likely to do that. I loathe actual physical brick and mortar shopping of any kind, resent any time having to spend doing anything like that, though I do grocery shop still (even though my sotre now offers shopping to go service)

I hate most stores too. But I don't mind going to Autozone. If you're female, help comes running before you're even 10 steps away from the door. I can even get my computer read for free if I get a Service Soon light. That way I know what to tell the shop so they know how long it will take to fix the problem when making an appointment, and make sure they have the part needed before I go there.

Tags: