Author Topic: Rare 'werewolf' cat found in South Africa  (Read 1098 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Rare 'werewolf' cat found in South Africa
« on: December 04, 2016, 12:09:35 AM »
Okay, this is weird.

A Lykoi kitten — sometimes referred to as a "werewolf cat" — was found by an animal rescue group in Cape Town, South Africa. This extremely rare cat breed comes from a naturally occurring gene in feral cats, according to the International Cat Association. The breed gets its name from the Greek word for wolf.

Although the cat was discovered in March, it wasn't until recently that the group realized how rare he was.

According to Tears Animal Rescue, "The cat, found under a bush, is the only natural-born Lykoi on record in [South Africa] and one of just 35 in the world, making this one of the most exciting discoveries in the [South African] animal world in recent years."

Continued at:
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/rare-werewolf-cat-found-south-africa
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Rare 'werewolf' cat found in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:14:01 AM »
Too bad they didn't leave him alone.  Why do humans have to mess with EVERYTHING.  Now he'll be used to breed and there will be another "designer" breed created and exploited and more animals bred in horrific conditions to suffer.  Humans suck.

Okay I have now read the story.  I hope the entire litter has been neutered so people don't try to make more of this "rare breed".

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Rare 'werewolf' cat found in South Africa
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »
I looked for the story in Google, and read several places until I found a source that I thought was credible. On several of the articles, they said that the cat had been given to a special rescue so that it couldn't be used for breeding by unscrupulous people.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: