Author Topic: I guess I coined the phrase - belling robins.  (Read 886 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
I guess I coined the phrase - belling robins.
« on: April 14, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »
I did a search and couldn't find any reference to anyone else speaking of robins belling.  As in singing their good night and good morning songs, sounding like bells.  I've always thought of it as "the robins are belling" ever since this one evening hike many years ago.

I was in the woods later than I meant to be, it was getting dusky and I still had a couple miles to go. I could still hear the owls (why I lingered so long in the first place), but as I hurried along I kept thinking I was hearing bells ringing in the distance. Finally I turned into the last section but one, a stretch of fairly open woods because of tornado damage a few years previously. And suddenly I could hear the source of the bells, it was a hundred robins (I have no idea of the number, really) singing their hearts out as they got ready to settle in for the night.

I was so astounded I just stood there with my mouth agape until it was almost completely dark. I have a flashlight in my pack of course, well I have a head-light now, but back then just a flashlight, but I didn't use it, I didn't want to lose the magic so quickly.  I managed to stumble (or float) my way through the rest of the hike to my car. I know the trail by heart, anyway, even back then I already did.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: I guess I coined the phrase - belling robins.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »
That was an interesting read Dee thanks

Last night the peepers started in full force so I did not get to hear the belling of the robins, the peepers drowned them out.  This is the latest I ever remember peepers starting.

Tags: