Author Topic: DIY Essential Oils for Dog Anxiety  (Read 505 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
DIY Essential Oils for Dog Anxiety
« on: June 03, 2017, 05:42:01 PM »
Aromatherapy & Essential Oils

A Little Background

Although the term”aromatherapy” was coined in 1920’s, the use of essential oils for their healing properties goes further back. Hippocrates who was known as the “Father of Medicine” studied the effects of essential oils on health. He also promoted the use of essential oils for their medicinal benefits.

As you might know, fragrance affects us. Essential oils therapeutically trigger emotions and moods as the brain interprets scent. They sort of work similarly to how scent might trigger memories i.e., fresh baked cookies might remind you of when grandma used to bake. Other fragrances might put you “in the mood.” I don’t think examples are necessary for that one. Aromatherapy uses the essential oils of flowers and herbs to travel from the scent receptors in order to communicate directly with the brain. It is unlike the examples I provided in that specific oils derived from nature affect the brain and the nervous system to evoke specific emotional responses. I like the essential oil recipes here.

More with recipes at: http://essentiallydogs.com/diy-essential-oils-for-dog-anxiety
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: DIY Essential Oils for Dog Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »
Thanks, DeeDee.  That reminds me that I have to get on the ball and find something that will work for the cats and Lacy dog.  July 4 is right around the corner.  :(
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 04:34:15 PM »
Thanks, DeeDee.  That reminds me that I have to get on the ball and find something that will work for the cats and Lacy dog.  July 4 is right around the corner.  :(

Just a friendly reminder, essential oils are not safe for cats.  Personally, I would think twice about using them with dogs, but I'm no expert.  But definitely, they are not for cats.   HeadButt HeadButt
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »
Just a friendly reminder, essential oils are not safe for cats.  Personally, I would think twice about using them with dogs, but I'm no expert.  But definitely, they are not for cats.   HeadButt HeadButt

No worries.  DeeDee's post just reminded me to find something (not product in the link) that will work (and is safe) for cats and dogs. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 06:06:50 PM »
A reminder that the article says:

Beware: Essential oils are very potent.  A single drop of a plant’s essential oil is more than 75 times stronger than the natural plant equivalent.  While essential oils can be beneficial for dogs, if not diluted, essential oils become dangerous for the use on dogs.  Never apply them unless diluted directly onto your dog. Many dilutions use alcohol which enables the oil to blend with the water.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »
Just to be clear...

I am not dogging ;) the product in the link.  I didn't even look at it, due essential oils not being safe for cats.  I saw DeeDee's post.  My brain said to self... "Hey, July 4th is right around the corner!  Find something NOW for the cats' and dog to help with their anxiety that comes with fireworks."  Then I thanked DeeDee because her post reminded me.  :) 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
Beware: Essential oils are very potent.  A single drop of a plant’s essential oil is more than 75 times stronger than the natural plant equivalent.  While essential oils can be beneficial for dogs, if not diluted, essential oils become dangerous for the use on dogs.  Never apply them unless diluted directly onto your dog. Many dilutions use alcohol which enables the oil to blend with the water.

That goes for humans, too.  Essential oils should always be diluted when used on people.  There are carrier oils that are often used with essential oils to dilute them.

Just to be clear...

I am not dogging ;) the product in the link.  I didn't even look at it, due essential oils not being safe for cats.  I saw DeeDee's post.  My brain said to self... "Hey, July 4th is right around the corner!  Find something NOW for the cats' and dog to help with their anxiety that comes with fireworks."  Then I thanked DeeDee because her post reminded me.  :) 

I got that.  I was just posting the other information for our other readers/visitors.  My apologies if I sounded like I was going after you.   :-[
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »
My apologies if I sounded like I was going after you.   :-[

Gosh no!!!!!!