Author Topic: Is Fortiflora and/or VB Only The "Miracle" For Pets NEW To Raw?  (Read 932 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
At one time, I used Fortiflora to help with the transition from kibble to canned.  I used it again later to make the transition from canned to raw.  As much as I DETEST Purina, it did work.  Any new protein, change in texture, etc... the cats were all over it, when sprinkled with a tiny bit of Fortiflora.  I figured I could get past the nasty ingredients (and creepy company) for short term use. 

Later, I discovered Vets Best Hairball remedy worked just as well.  Not for hairballs, but to entice a cat to try something new.  I would crush a tablet of Vets Best Hairball remedy and sprinkle a little bit on top of the meat.  It was a miracle replacement for Fortiflora!   :)

Fast forward a few years... VB changed and many (pets and pet owners) seemed to be very unhappy with the product change.  As for MY experience... my Roxy would bring back up her meal, if it had been sprinkled with VB.  I chalked it up to VB making changes to their product.  Sooooo when I later needed some help, I went back to using Fortiflora. 

A few months ago, I used Fortiflora to help with some food changes.  Roxy and Lola both brought back up their food that had Fortiflora sprinkled on it.  I "blamed" the new protein, and fed them something different. Didn't think much more about it. 

Last week, I bought some chicken thighs.  The cats (and dog) have all eaten chicken, but never chicken thighs purchased from the grocery store. Neither Roxy, Lola, or Lucy would eat it.  I sprinkled a little Fortiflora on their meals.  They all barfed their meals back up.  I tried it again for another meal.  They all walked away from their plates, without touching the food.  I "blamed" the grocery store meat. 

Those that are smarter then me are probably wondering why I was blaming the meat... when 3 other cats and a dog had no issues.  Well, I'm a little slow.    :) 

I'm thinking, since Fortiflora contains the same nasty ingredients that kibble does... and our cats and dog have been raw fed for years....   some of their tummys can no longer handle the disgusting ingredients of Fortiflora. 

Did I figure it out?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:16:33 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Is Fortiflora and/or VB Only The "Miracle" For Pets NEW To Raw?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 11:50:56 AM »
Only one way to find out for sure. Serve the meat without the goop on it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »
Only one way to find out for sure. Serve the meat without the goop on it.

That's what caught my attention.  Three other cats and Lacy dog ate the same meat with no Fortiflora... no issues. 

My point of the post is wondering if cats that have been fed raw for a long time... can no longer tolerate Flortiflora, due to it having similar ingredients as kibble. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:32:25 PM »
I think your theory is probably true, but you still have to test it without sprinkles on the cats that had it and vomited/refused--to see if they end up okay just the same as your control group that received nothing.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 04:18:56 PM »
You're probably right.  It may also be you know that Forti Floara has changed the formula, unless you are using from a box you used form in previous times?  I stil use Fortiflora about once a month, to help Queen eva finish a meal.. I know it's only about once a month because when I open a new envelope I mark the date I've opened it.  A month will go by before I reach for it again, notice the date, and have to open a fresh one.

Really the only time I use it at all is when I'm too lazy to get the PureBites out of the fridge.  That works as well or better, and is just pure chicken bra\east,. freeze dried.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 10:15:50 PM »
My point of the post is wondering if cats that have been fed raw for a long time... can no longer tolerate Flortiflora, due to it having similar ingredients as kibble.

I would think that if they tolerated kibble before, they could probably tolerate it again, but I could be very wrong.  I just don't know, sorry.   :-\
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 08:24:38 PM »
I would think that if they tolerated kibble before, they could probably tolerate it again, but I could be very wrong.  I just don't know, sorry.   :-\

Does any cat really tolerate kibble?  All I remember is cleaning up food barf and hairballs daily, when feeding kibble. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »
Does any cat really tolerate kibble?  All I remember is cleaning up food barf and hairballs daily, when feeding kibble. 

:-[  I didn't realize.

My sister feeds kibble to her indoor cats, and to my knowledge, they don't barf (I have no clue if they have hairballs), so I was thinking if the cats didn't hork on the kibble before, they probably wouldn't do it later.  If they were horking on kibble before, then I would think the problems would come back on when fed dry again.  But again, I could be wrong.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 05:13:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure all cats puke on a dry diet, if not immediately, they will as time goes on.  Vets tell people it's "normal" so no one thinks any more about it.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 06:48:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure all cats puke on a dry diet, if not immediately, they will as time goes on.  Vets tell people it's "normal" so no one thinks any more about it.

I can only speak to my own experience, which is that when I told people about my cats' horking, they all would say, "You must have some very sick cats."  No one ever, and I mean ever, told me that their cats barfed.  There was even a family member who would point to my sister's cats and say, "Why don't her cats have these problems?"

The cat my sister had years ago was dry-fed (and I think some canned), and I lived with Sister on occasion.  I don't remember any barfing.  Hairballs, yes, which was considered "normal" but no barfing.  That's not to say the cat was "fine" on a kibble diet, because she had dental problems in later years, but I don't know that literally every cat has or will barf on a dry diet.  Whether they do or not, it's still not appropriate for them to eat.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »
I include bringing up hairballs in my statement.  this, also, is not normal.   HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »
You're probably right.  It may also be you know that Forti Floara has changed the formula, unless you are using from a box you used form in previous times?  I stil use Fortiflora about once a month, to help Queen eva finish a meal.. I know it's only about once a month because when I open a new envelope I mark the date I've opened it.  A month will go by before I reach for it again, notice the date, and have to open a fresh one.

Really the only time I use it at all is when I'm too lazy to get the PureBites out of the fridge.  That works as well or better, and is just pure chicken bra\east,. freeze dried.

I knew VB made changes, but I didn't know that Fortiflora did also.  How could they make it any worse?  (sarcasm)

Tags:

'Hare