Author Topic: Swai Fish And Egg Chat  (Read 5345 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Swai Fish And Egg Chat
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »
The pro-raw vet recommended Swai fish for Lacy.  She said Lacy's skin was dry. I've read so much negative info concerning fish, in general... I haven't done anything with her suggestion. 

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:04:51 PM by Lola, Reason: Changed the subject title »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Swai Fish
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
I saw this the other day in FB. It has a chart to show you the least amount of mercury fish/omegas. Of course, every post he makes is to sell one of his products, but the information is still good:

I must say I never expected a simple task like finding and sourcing a safe, balanced and sustainable omega oil supplement for dogs would shake me up so much. But, as often happens, the simplest tasks prove to be much more difficult than they seem.

The positive side is these challenges lead to important discoveries that ultimately make our dogs healthier and our time together with them longer.

Many dog lovers seem to be unclear about omega oils and I've have seen people make serious mistakes that can lead to toxicity, disease, epilepsy and a shortened lifespan.

Omega oils are also known as essential fatty acids (EFAs) and they're divided into three main groups: Omega-3, 6 and 9.

Find the chart at:  https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/the-best-omega-oil-for-your-dog-or-puppy
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »
Sooooo, I need to pick up some squid?   pullingouthair

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »
Sooooo, I need to pick up some squid?   pullingouthair

I'd go with Sardines. It's low enough there. I don't think we even have squid around here in the stores. It's probably something I'd have to have Publix order for me.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
Nope. I think I'd skip that fish altogether:

https://draxe.com/swai-fish/

I’m a huge fan of certain types of wild-caught fish. Certain seafood picks land serve as muscle-building protein foods. Some even provide ample doses of healthy fats like omega-3s. But fish often comes with a hefty price tag, which is why consumers are always looking for more affordable options. Consumers are flocking to Swai fish due to its cheap price tag, but there are major problems with this fish that you need to know about.

Swai fish costs only about $2 per pound, but it’s much costlier when you consider what it could be doing to your health.

What is Swai Fish?

Swai fish is a type of white fish with a mild flavor and flaky texture. It’s a freshwater fish that’s native to Vietnamese rivers and a type of catfish. It’s also called Vietnamese catfish, basa fish and iridescent shark, but it’s neither a basa nor a type of shark.

The abundance of names come from an identity crisis swai fish had in the early 2000s, when it still was sold in the U.S. under the name of “catfish.” In 2003, Congress passed a law stating that only American catfish could be labeled as such, prompting a variety of names to flood the market, though today, the Vietnamese fish industry seems to have settled on swai. You won’t find the fish in in Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi, though. In these states, where catfish is a big industry, it’s illegal to sell swai.
(1)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »
I kinda already knew ... the higher up the food chain... the more mercury.  But I also read something (don't quote me ;) ) about all fish going through China for whatever reasons.  Whatever details I read at the time, it was enough to scare me off of fish of any kind. 

Although I did buy ground Sardines from Hare-Today kinda recently.  So much for my scare of fish...

MC,
Don't you give your cats fish in vitamin form?  If so, why?  And would it do the same "trick" as real fish... as far as Lacy?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 05:32:27 PM »
I think I will just put some lotion on her .... Silly7

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fish-oil-omega-3-dogs-safe/

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 06:27:18 PM »
Most people that that I know that feed their dogs raw regularly feed them canned in water sardines. I do occasionally, but I'm not a fan of fish and beards for obvious reasons.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »
If I remember correctly, I think this is the one that a holistic vet recommended to me for Pookie:  https://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/General_Public/Products_for_Dogs_&_Cats/469

I used the capsule form and just poked a little hole with a safety pin to squeeze the oil onto his food.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 05:29:51 AM »
I kinda already knew ... the higher up the food chain... the more mercury.  But I also read something (don't quote me ;) ) about all fish going through China for whatever reasons.  Whatever details I read at the time, it was enough to scare me off of fish of any kind. 

Although I did buy ground Sardines from Hare-Today kinda recently.  So much for my scare of fish...

MC,
Don't you give your cats fish in vitamin form?  If so, why?  And would it do the same "trick" as real fish... as far as Lacy?

I have read a number of articles about all fish goes through China before it reaches our stores, even fish caught in the US.

I don't supplement with krill any more. It seemed to make them, all three, itchy. They get the green lipped mussel (GLM) in the EZcomplete, and of course Mazy cat gets her therapeutic dose of GLM daily.

I would suggest you add eggs to her diet for coat and skin health, and maybe some sardines every week.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
DeeDee,  Do you give your dogs anything extra for their coats and skin? 

Thanks for the info Pookie!

MC,
I DO have a memory... you remember the fish and China info too! 

I'm leaning towards staying with the sardines.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 11:21:05 AM »
DeeDee,  Do you give your dogs anything extra for their coats and skin? 

I rotate coconut oil and olive oil daily, but I can only give Vlad a teaspoon a day. Otherwise he gets an upset stomach due to the lack of cortisol that helps digest food. Really don't want to see pancreatitis again either.

Mostly I just rely on eggs every other day. I also give sardines every now and then, but I have to stand there and feed them to Vlad or he gets the beard from hell smell.

I put chia flour, flax meal, and shelled, raw hemp seeds in their cookies too, and often throw some into their food. They seem to really like the stuff. They're all high in omegas. I checked into the hemp flour, but it seems that it's from what comes after the oils have been pressed out, so that's a no.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 01:32:11 PM »
By the way Food Fur Life has a dried egg product available now.  Pure dried egg yolk.  Nothing else.

http://www.foodfurlife.com/blog--news

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 01:33:31 PM »
By the way Food Fur Life has a dried egg product available now.  Pure dried egg yolk.  Nothing else.

http://www.foodfurlife.com/blog--news

I just saw they posted that on Twitter.  I get Twitter updates via email. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 01:34:21 PM »
Just curious.... why would that be better then actual eggs?

Also... thanks DeeDee for the info.