Author Topic: An Unpopular Thought  (Read 216 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
An Unpopular Thought
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »
So, this story is being passed around everywhere, including by veterinary medical personnel. http://doggiescare.com/police-officer-shoots-dog-leaves-die/

Now I've got a thought about this that isn't the normal "burn the cop at the stake" reaction that most everyone is having.

These 2 quotes are at the foremost of my brand of thinking:

1. "He then departed, leaving Bruno behind, injured and bleeding in the front yard. "
2. "The family returned home to find their beloved Bruno wounded and a citation from the local sheriff’s department."

Everyone else is asking, "Why did he go to the wrong address, and WHY, OH, WHY, did he have to shoot the dog?

While I'm sitting here asking, "Why did he go to the wrong address, and WHY, OH, WHY was that dog loose outside when he was home alone?"

I've seen enough of the home in the video to know that dog wasn't contained in a fenced area. That railing around the front porch area isn't enough to contain Barkly, much less a GSD. It's bad that the deputy had the wrong address, but it's worse that the dog was home alone outside. The cop wasn't to blame for that dog being home alone.

And, why is the little note that the cop left being called a citation? It just describes what happened and says to call them. It doesn't say anything about being cited b/c it wasn't even marked where it says, "Allow animal to run at large."

Citations don't look anything like principal office "your child did this today" slips sent home with them. That's not a citation. Actual citations look a lot like driving-offense tickets.

This world just blows my mind.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: An Unpopular Thought
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 11:19:47 PM »
I didn't read the story, but

While I'm sitting here asking, "Why did he go to the wrong address, and WHY, OH, WHY was that dog loose outside when he was home alone?"

VERY good point.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 10:18:57 PM »
I Googled to see if I could find out the police officer's side of the story... didn't find any info.  I did find a few different versions of the story though.  Anyway...

The people were not given a citation.  Cut the drama and stick to the facts. 
Cop went to the wrong address.  So. Cops aren't allowed to make mistakes?
The dog was LOOSE in the front yard.
In another article, it was mentioned that the dog charged at the officer, when he got of his car.  Shooting explained.  IMHO
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 11:07:25 PM »
Cop went to the wrong address.  So. Cops aren't allowed to make mistakes?

And for all we know, the dispatcher provided the wrong address, OR whoever called the police gave the wrong address.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags:

'Hare