Author Topic: Modems  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Modems
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:01:47 PM »
I have DSL and had the modem for years.  Every now and then, it drops me.  I shut it off, wait a few seconds and turn it on again.

Well, recently I called the carrier and they replaced it, saying it shouldn't be doing that.  Well, now the new one is starting to do it.  Do all modems drop the connection now and then?  If not, can anyone recommend a good modem that's not expensive?  I pay a monthly fee to the carrier for this one, otherwise I'd have to pay $100 for it to purchase it outright.  I'm not a tech wizard, so I have no idea what a good modem is or if they have to work with specific equipment or networks or . . .

Thanks in advance!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Modems
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:49:45 AM »
I don't do a lot of hardware unless it's picking out things to make my computer itself. I'll ask hubs when he gets home.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
Question:

Do you want a modem with wi-fi?

Do you want a modem that's like a router where more devices can he hardwired (cables) to more than one device?

I ask because we've got more devices than the modem from Comcast allows, so we have a router hooked to the modem. The modem is wi-fi too, but not all of our computers are wi-fi capable.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
I have cable, so things probably work differently.  For me, dropping often means time for a new modem, but not always.  A few months ago, I was having a LOT of issues with being dropped.  I did allll kinds of checks and resets on my end.  The fixes were always short lived.  I ended up calling the cable company and they did a reset on their end. 

I wish I could remember the explanation, but... something about a bazillion people using the same whatever at peak times. 

Often a simple fix is logging into your modem admin and resetting things from there.  What brand is your modem?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:37:31 AM »
Question:

Do you want a modem with wi-fi?

Do you want a modem that's like a router where more devices can he hardwired (cables) to more than one device?

Good question!   Doh1  Yes, it needs to have wi-fi.  I can't have a phone line run into the room that I use as my office, something about the way this place was built.  So my laptop uses wi-fi.  My desktop, which I don't use for the internet with a couple of exceptions, has a wi-fi thing (receiver?) plugged into it to receive the wi-fi from the modem.  I hope that description makes sense.

I wish I could remember the explanation, but... something about a bazillion people using the same whatever at peak times. 

Often a simple fix is logging into your modem admin and resetting things from there.  What brand is your modem?

This was probably around midnight last night (Thursday).  Most people are in bed by then, I think.  The modem is made by Zyxel Communications Corp.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »
Look at Netgear or Toshiba.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »
Look at Netgear or Toshiba.

Her modem is new though. 

Wouldn't' she want to see if there is an issue with the modem? 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 07:00:18 PM »
Here is some info for the default log-in for your modem:
http://defaultpasswords.in/zyxel-router-default-password-login-username-for-modems

Just type in your numbers, where you normally type in a website URL...  192.0 whatever.  Look around :)  and go from there. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 10:46:39 PM »
Here is some info for the default log-in for your modem:
http://defaultpasswords.in/zyxel-router-default-password-login-username-for-modems

Just type in your numbers, where you normally type in a website URL...  192.0 whatever.  Look around :)  and go from there. 

???  Why would I do that?  I have the password to the modem -- I needed it when I first set it up with my laptop.  What would I be looking for?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 10:57:44 AM »
In Basic Set-Up under Network Configuration....I was told to click "Renew WAN Lease."  That MIGHT help with the dropping issues. 
BUT I just thought of something... it is your laptop that is having the issues...correct?  And you are using your laptop vie your wi-fi in another room (a room different then where your modem is located)... correct?
If your answers are all yes...  do you have issues when you use your laptop in the same room as where your modem is?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 03:47:17 PM »
BUT I just thought of something... it is your laptop that is having the issues...correct?

I don't know, because I rarely use my desktop to connect to the internet now that I have a laptop.  The desktop is OLD, probably over 8 years old, and connecting to the internet was PAINFULLY slow.  That's probably the main reason I bought the laptop.  I pretty much only use the desktop to connect to my bank account now, because the bank recognizes it and I don't feel like going through the hassle of changing what it recognizes.  Besides, it just feels . . . safer, using the desktop.  Which makes no sense, since either way it goes over the same wi-fi, but it just . . . does.   :-\

And you are using your laptop vie your wi-fi in another room (a room different then where your modem is located)... correct?

Yes, my laptop is in the spare bedroom, which I use as an office, and the modem is in the other bedroom which has a landline connection in it.  There's a splitter? on the landline in that room so I can use the phone while I'm online.

If your answers are all yes...  do you have issues when you use your laptop in the same room as where your modem is?

I've never used it in that room.  There's no place to set it up, since that's the room I sleep in.  It probably would have made things simpler if I used the "office" (which technically is the Master) as my sleeping room and the other one as the office, but I like the view better from that room.  The Master bedroom, which I use as the office, looks out at a parking lot.  I didn't want to wake up to that or hear people coming and going while I was trying to sleep.  Overexplain much, do I?   ::)

I will say, when I worked from home, I used the kitchen and I don't remember having connection problems.  That was the old modem, BUT, that was also a work laptop and it was over the company's VPN, so maybe that had something to do with it.  I hardly ever use this laptop in the kitchen.

Tags: