Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 847 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
What would you do?
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
Driving to work this morning, I saw a calico cross the road, then stop.  She wasn't fully grown, and probably still working on her confidence.  She wanted to jump across the ditch that runs along the road, but I think she thought it was a little too big for her to make it.  I had stopped my car, afraid she'd run back the other way, and even honked to get her to move, but she didn't.  Eventually she did change her mind and walked back across the other way.  A FedEx van had stopped (coming from the opposite direction), and after I moved on I think the driver got out.  Whether he/she caught the cat or not, I don't know, and if they did, I don't know what they were going to do.  Maybe bring her to the closest house and ask if she belonged to them?  Keep her?  Take her to a shelter?

It's a rural area, so it could have been someone's barn cat, or from a barn cat's litter.  It could have been feral, or an indoor/outdoor.  I don't think she had a collar, but she could be micro-chipped.

I have to admit, I was tempted to get out and either help her across the ditch or put her in my car, forgetting that 1.  I was going TO work, so she'd be in my car all day and 2. my financial situation is not such that I think it's fair to bring a kitty home.  It's not a good place to stop a car because of the way the road curves, and there's no shoulder to park on.  Anyway, it wasn't until later that I thought about how she might be someone's barn cat, etc. 

Did I do the right thing, leaving her (and letting the FedEx person go after her, though I didn't know they would do that at the time)?  What would you have done?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »
I think you did right. Now if you see the cat repeatedly, that's another story.

People out here are now picking up dogs all the time, taking them to the pound, and never check the "missing" list that the county has. I find this type of behavior problematic because, if someone's out looking for them, they won't be able to find them then, and it's just dumb luck in some cases that they're able to find them in the shelter then.

At least our shelter in town is no-kill now and works with the private shelters.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »
I think you did the right thing.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: