Author Topic: Call of the wild supplement for raw feeding meat only  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Call of the wild supplement for raw feeding meat only
« on: July 09, 2012, 08:25:46 AM »
http://www.wysong.net/products/cotw-dog-cat-supplement.php

I don't understand the concept here.  The supplement is marketed and used to provide all the nutrients a cat needs when fed with a raw meat only diet (meaning no measuring, no organs and bone mixing and so on)

But how is feeding a hunk of meat with a supplement sprinkled over it any better than feeding a "nutritionally complete" canned diet?

With the supplement, it seems you are faced with the same issues as feeding commercial diets. If the supplement is really balanced, or if it is missing something.  The source of the ingredients. If the ingredients really are beneficial to the cat.  And so on.

So...what is the benefit?

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Call of the wild supplement for raw feeding meat only
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:46:32 AM »
Hi MC

Think the difference from canned is, it's "missing" all the unnecessary gunk and "preservatives" which are found in them.  
Say your cat is eating raw chicken or quail breast.   This Supplement may provide the benefits of bone and organs which you won't have to grind yourself & mess with, to balance that chicken breast.   HeadButt
(We used to buy a powder supplement from a Holistic vet cause I was afraid of missing something when home-cooking for our dog during the recalls.) 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:48:59 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
Thanks CC.  Okay I hadn't thought of that but...

here are the ingredients.  It's got fruits and vegetables and grains AND Menadione (artificial K)

Ingredients:Chicken, Chicken Liver, Calcium Carbonate, Lecithin, Kelp, Plums, Dried Seaweed Meal, Ground Bone, Calcium Lactate Pentahydrate, Coral Calcium, Barley Grass Powder, Wheat Grass Powder, Taurine, Organic Blueberries, Carrots, Direct-Fed Microorganisms (Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactococcus lactis, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus lactis, Aspergillus oryzae, Aspergillus niger, Yeast Culture), DL-Methionine, L-Carnitine, L-Arginine, Phytase, Sage Extract, Rosemary Extract, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Niacin, Iron, Zinc, Thiamin, Manganese, Pyridoxine, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Copper, Folic Acid, Menadione, Iodine, Selenium, Biotin, Vitamin B12.

Just....doesn't seem all that great, but in a raw forum I read in people are always recommending it..

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »
First, I'll just say... I don't use supplements, never have.

That said, I think there are a couple reasons people fall for the supplement approach...
  • 1. They are just starting out, and are squeamish.
  • 2. They are still under the delusion that commercial food is best.  Supplement companies play on this, hence the reason the ingredients are so similar

It is true that if you are just starting out, and only feeding meat, a supplement is needed.  However, it is not true that the supplement needs to include all those silly extras.  But, like I said, the supplement companies play on the fear that "you are not giving a complete meal without our product".  This is one of those weird in between spots that people find themselves in.  My advice is always, skip the supplements, feed the *&^@!! bones and organs already.   :P
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:41 PM »
First, I'll just say... I don't use supplements, never have.

That said, I think there are a couple reasons people fall for the supplement approach...
  • 1. They are just starting out, and are squeamish.
  • 2. They are still under the delusion that commercial food is best.  Supplement companies play on this, hence the reason the ingredients are so similar

It is true that if you are just starting out, and only feeding meat, a supplement is needed.  However, it is not true that the supplement needs to include all those silly extras.  But, like I said, the supplement companies play on the fear that "you are not giving a complete meal without our product".  This is one of those weird in between spots that people find themselves in.  My advice is always, skip the supplements, feed the *&^@!! bones and organs already.   :P

iagree iagree

Tags: