Author Topic: A new complete supplement! - FoodFurLife  (Read 13873 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: A new complete supplement! - FoodFurLife
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2016, 07:51:13 PM »
It was making me flipping crazy... I opened the package.  I measured out one cup.  I had quite a bit left over.  Therefore...225 grams of EZComplete is MORE than one cup.  One cup in the baking world is not the same in the supplement world.
Problem solved.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2016, 07:56:03 PM »
I did reply to your other posts, back on page 3.  HeadButt

One cup in the baking world is not the same in the supplement world.

And yes, they explained that phenomenon too. :D I trust these people -almost- without question. I do disagree with one or the other on some minor issues that have nothing to do with their product.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 07:56:27 PM »

Just going to point out that if EZComplete covers bone too, then you definitely need the moisture kept somehow b/c you're going to have a constipated animal without enough liquid.

I wouldn't think of NOT adding water to the EZComplete.  If that is what you were wondering.

If you were referring to having to keep the juices from cooked meat...  I was hoping that I could boil a whole chicken, whole duck, etc and then be able to add the EZComplete mixture to the meat.  That isn't the case, so I'm sticking to raw meats only. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
This is how I got the 12 pounds and that was before I read up on the instructions and then asked them directly:

The bag states "130 servings".  I know that they consider one serving 1.5 ounces of meat PLUS the EZc and water. One serving is 1.5 ounces of meat, 1 tablespoon of water (or more if desired) and 1 scoop (provided) of EZcomplete.

I multiplied 1.5 ounces by 130 = 95 ounces.

I divided 95 by 16 ounces = 12.18 pounds

Judging by their reply to my question, I was pretty close.

Lola, please understand I am not trying to talk you into anything.  I just want to make sure for the sake of accuracy, the way EZc should be used is understood by anyone who might read this thread.

I have never used Alnutrin pre-mixes of any kind (though I do use their egg shell calcium and their taurine) so I can't make comparisons about cost, palatability or quality.

The EZc works for me because it is the only pre-mix that meets Mazy cat's very strict criteria. As you know I don't use it exclusively, my cats (including Mazy cat) also get prey model meals and other commercial raw brands.  EZc is only part of the rotation.

I would suggest to you (or anyone else) that you take your questions directly to the makers of EZcompelte at Food Fur Life.  You can ask them on their FB page, message them through FB or visit their website and choose their "contact us" option.

http://www.foodfurlife.com/

If you do do that, posting what you've asked and what you've learned form there here would be very helpful. :)

I was going by the package directions "Combine 2 lbs of ground or chopped meat, 1/2 cup of EZComplete, and 1 1/2 cups of water." AND the assumption (wrongly) that 225 grams equaled one cup. 

I do not think you are trying to talk me into anything. 

If I had opened their package and measured, instead of going with a baking measurement.... I would have known 225 grams of EZComplete is not the same as 225 grams of flour.  And we wouldn't be having this discussion. 

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:40:42 PM by Lola, Reason: My sense of humor may not sound funny in print »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2016, 08:29:44 PM »
By the way, I like to grind 15 to 20 pounds of meat at one time... to make the clean-up worth it.  lol
Sooooo this all started because I was trying to figure out how much meat to thaw, to use with my one package of EZComplete.  *sigh* 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2016, 08:56:19 PM »
My food processor attachment only does about 4 ounces of meat at a time.  funny2

Anyway it's a good discussion. How to use EZcomplete can be confusing especially for people used to using other pre-mixes.  It's never been a problem for me because I don't make "batches" with it.  I use it per meal only.

One of the creators feeds 5 cats.  She doesn't make batches either, at least not all the time.  She simply makes enough meat/EZc mixed to feed 5 cats for a meal, then does it again at the next meal.

Go to:
https://www.facebook.com/FoodFurLifeforPets/?fref=ts

click on "videos"

Choose video labeled "Hi everyone! Feeding multiple cats with...."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2016, 09:16:03 PM »
I watched the video.  Does she feed her cats 3 times a day?  If she does, she must spend ALL day in the kitchen.... between feeding her cats and herself/family! 
Apparently, I'm pretty lazy.  I make the dehydrated Stella and Chewys (for the cats) and the Honest Kitchen (for Lacy dog) in advance and freeze too! 

Edit:  I noticed her cats were fairly quiet also.  My house is a 3 ring circus, when fixing plates.  I thought that was normal.  lol 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:19:27 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2016, 09:45:05 PM »
Well, it's just her and the furkids (5 cats and a dog). So she would just chunk up the meat, add the EZc and egg yolk and water, portion it out and serve, 3 times a day.  That probably doesn't take very long. Espcially if you have a dishwasher. funny2

I've been trying to tell myself it's not any different than having to prepare meals for a human family every day.

I have to cut and freeze several times a week now.   Weekends and at least three nights a week. For only 3 cats.  This is because of lack of freezer space of course.  I just don't have any way to make enough to last more than a week or two of any given protein.

If I had a real freezer I'd spend an entire weekend every month or so preparing food for them.  I still would not make batches though. Because of their individual needs I have to have individual servings.

Incidentally I also wash dishes countless times a day. Mazy cat eats 4 meals at breakfast, Queen Eva eats one, and Jennie gets two. That's seven dishes PLUS the containers that held the raw meals. And now that Mazy cat is using a flatter plate, the meal has to be portioned into the usual shallow bowl, then transferred to the plate, a plate that is washed between each serving so add four more dishes to the morning wash.

Lunch time: Mazy eats 2 meals (now involves 4 washings) Jennie and Queen Eva only eat one meal each.

Once I am home for the evening I pretty much do nothing but cut and freeze meat, clean up, feed cats, wash dishes and play with cats.  somewhere in there I manage to feed myself and wash my own dishes too. HAHAHAAHAHA!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2016, 11:10:13 AM »
Well, it's just her and the furkids (5 cats and a dog). So she would just chunk up the meat, add the EZc and egg yolk and water, portion it out and serve, 3 times a day.  That probably doesn't take very long. Especially if you have a dishwasher.

In my defense...  Silly7  I also like to make it as easy as possible for the hubby to feed the furkids. 
I did buy all the furkids 3 plates each.  We do have a dishwasher.  However we still wash all their plates after every meal, because the dishwasher isn't run daily.  So much for that plan!

AND we recently started making meals for ourselves in a similar way.  We cook one day a week and freeze meal portions. 
The human food freezer has a variety, and so does the pet food freezer.  Everyone is happy.  :)
With our opposite schedules and me working 40 to 50 hours a week...we are trying out this new plan to see how it works. So far, so good.

I've been trying to tell myself it's not any different than having to prepare meals for a human family every day.

Good point!  Except they grow up and move out.  I did my 18 years.  Time for a break.  lol

If I had a real freezer I'd spend an entire weekend every month or so preparing food for them.  I still would not make batches though. Because of their individual needs I have to have individual servings.
I'm pretty fortunate being able to feed all the same.  Also, if one can't tolerate a protein or whatever... no one gets it.  If any meal needs to be individualized... it can be done when serving a meal.

Incidentally I also wash dishes countless times a day. Mazy cat eats 4 meals at breakfast, Queen Eva eats one, and Jennie gets two. That's seven dishes PLUS the containers that held the raw meals. And now that Mazy cat is using a flatter plate, the meal has to be portioned into the usual shallow bowl, then transferred to the plate, a plate that is washed between each serving so add four more dishes to the morning wash.

You wash Mazy's plates in-between each portion of her breakfast (for example) feedings?