Author Topic: What do you guys do when...  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
What do you guys do when...
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:45:50 AM »
you thaw meat out and it sits longer than you intended? I thawed 10 lbs of chicken leg quarters for a batch of cat food, but my cousin ended up needing surgery and I had to stay with her younger sisters. The bag sat in a sink of cold water for several hours, and then spent two days in the refrigerator. It wasn't spoiled or anything, but I was worried about the bacterial load with it sitting out so long, so this particular batch of cat food is going to be fully cooked, instead of just partially cooked (on the outside).

What do you guys do if a situation like this arises? Cook the meat, eat it yourself and thaw some more, or feed it raw anyway?

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: What do you guys do when...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »
I would not take any chances. I would either throw it out, or cook it all up, then freeze it and give as treats.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »
In the "old" days, food sat out on the counter to thaw for mannnnnny hours.  Not to mention the things we did with cross contamination!  We all lived.  (For the record, I don't do ANY of those things anymore.)
If it were me, I'd throw it out.  BUT good "dead" meat gags me.  If the chicken doesn't smell or look scary to you, cook it up and eat it...yourself.  I'd risk me, before the furkids.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:02:07 PM »
If it doesn't smell like spoiled meat, the cats get to eat it, every time.

My electricity was out for nearly two weeks when we had a freak October snow / ice storm. Everything partially melted - and the cats have eaten it all with nary a whisker twitch.

Cats are tough, and built to eat stuff we wouldn't even go near, never mind cook and eat ourselves. This is natural behavior for them, and nature has given them all the tools they need to do deal with it. No problem.

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:53:23 PM »
I agree with Auntie.

I would probably rinse it well and go by smell.

Also, kitties noses being a bajillion times stronger than our own, I let them decide.  ;)

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags: