Author Topic: Let's kick-start the raw feeding section!  (Read 14537 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Let's kick-start the raw feeding section!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 08:33:55 PM »
I want to buy a raw food that has all the nutritionally needed stuff already in it.  I don't know if it is possible, but I would prefer something more in a pate style...rather than chunks or obvious body parts.  I want to introduce a little bit and see what the reaction is at my house.

Any suggestions?
Felines pride...have heard many good things about this food.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 08:57:48 PM »
Felines pride...have heard many good things about this food.

Thanks!!
I think I have heard good things about it also.  I believe it is the brand that Dr. Pierson recommends.  I think it also costs a fortune to ship.  I'll have to check into it...again.  Soooo many food issues, so little time.  

Anyone ever feed it?

I was hoping to find something that can be purchased...without having to be shipped.  

Wish someone would just set a food down on my door step and say...This food is PERFECT.  No ickie ingredients to make your cat sick.  Company has an awesome rep, etc. etc.

Maybe I'll just round up the cats and take them to the zoo every day for their meals.  At least THEY know how (and what) to feed carnivores!   Bumpurr1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 01:44:53 AM »
I have six cats, all frankenprey raw fed with no supplements.

Although grinding is the most time-consuming of the home-prepared feeding methods, is the only one that requires supplementation and offers no dental or mental benefits, it is also the closest to the commercial foods most cats are familiar with and is the most readily accepted raw diet, to both the cats and the owners.

This is my menu:

Breakfast
Ten ounces of each of the following is divided between all six.
Monday: Whole chicken hearts
Tuesday & Saturday: Beef Round or Stew Meat chunks.
Wednesday: Whole Duck Hearts.
Thursday & Sunday: Pork Loin Chunks.
Friday: Whole Turkey Hearts.

Lunch
Monday: Three pieces of Chicken Wing each. I use only the wing tips and the middle pieces and I cut the middle pieces in half between the two bones (not across them). Two of the cats get three wing tips apiece, the others all get three pieces of the middle joint each.
Tuesday & Friday: ~1oz of Chicken or Turkey Liver and 1oz of Chicken Gizzards for every cat. I feed the liver first and when it's gone, feed the gizzards.
Wednesday: Three or four Chicken Breasts-with-Rib Halves divided between them with about 1/4 of the meat still on them.
Sunday & Thursday: ~1oz of Beef Kidney and 1oz of Chicken Breast for every cat. I feed the kidney first and when it's gone, feed the gizzards.
Saturday: ~Three or four ounces of small Rabbit bones with meat still on them for every cat.

One cat, Ralph, throws up organ meats when they are fed alone. For him only, I chop the organs and the accompanying meat and mix them thoroughly before I give it to him.

Dinner
Monday and Thursday: 10oz of Rabbit chunks divided between them.
Tuesday & Saturday: All the meat from a skinned Chicken Quarter is divided between them.
Wednesday & Sunday: All the meat from a Turkey Drumstick is divided between them.
Friday: All the meat, minus the skin, from nine drummettes (the third and largest chicken wing joint) is divided between them.

Friday night, they each get half an egg; Saturday afternoon, I dump two or three dozen crickets in the tub and let the cats pick them off as they wish and every Sunday, they each get about 3/4 of a wild-caught, packed-in-water-no-salt-added sardine.

In this menu, no single item is fed more than twice a week.

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 02:57:15 PM »
hmmm... my menu schedule looks something like this:

Day 1:  chicken, liver, hearts
Day 2:  pork, kidney
Day 3:  chicken, liver, hearts
Day 4:  beef, melt
Day 5:  chicken, liver, hearts
Day 6:  pork, kidney
Day 7:  chicken, liver, hearts
Day 8:  lamb, melt

As you can see, I tend to feed organ meats with every meal, it seems to keep the stools a little more... uniform.
Chicken days are "bone days"; one meal of boney bits (ribs, wings, necs, breast bones, etc.,.).
I'm also working on incorporating pinkies on "meat days".

I do supplement with vit E and salmon oil when I can remember, and I'll put down the occasional plate of egg yolks as a midday snack.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
hmmm... my menu schedule looks something like this:

Day 1:  chicken, liver, hearts
Day 2:  pork, kidney
Day 3:  chicken, liver, hearts
Day 4:  beef, melt
Day 5:  chicken, liver, hearts
Day 6:  pork, kidney
Day 7:  chicken, liver, hearts
Day 8:  lamb, melt

As you can see, I tend to feed organ meats with every meal, it seems to keep the stools a little more... uniform.
Chicken days are "bone days"; one meal of boney bits (ribs, wings, necs, breast bones, etc.,.).
I'm also working on incorporating pinkies on "meat days".

I do supplement with vit E and salmon oil when I can remember, and I'll put down the occasional plate of egg yolks as a midday snack.

Interesting. What is "melt"? Do you only feed once a day, or do the cats get three similar meals each day? And this must be a rolling menu (not attached to any particular day of the week)? If so, how do you keep track of it?

Thanks!

AC

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »

...Do you only feed once a day, or do the cats get three similar meals each day?

Doh!  Re-reading that, I realize I was not quite clear.   bonkhead

I feed 2 similar meals a day.
On chicken (bone) days, only one of those meals is boney (except for the Babee dog, she gets bone in both meals).

I was also not very clear that the type of liver gets alternated; pork/beef
I have yet to be impressed with the quality of chicken livers in any store; half of them are usually brown and mushy.  yuk

What is "melt"?
Spleen, usually pork, found at the Asian Market.
I was told by a hunting friend that "melt" is an old term and refers to its consistency when cooked nicely (melts in your mouth).

And this must be a rolling menu (not attached to any particular day of the week)? If so, how do you keep track of it?
heh...
chicken every "odd" (bone) day
pork alternated with beef/lamb every "even" (meat) day

So really, all I need to keep track of are the "meat" days. 
And that's simplified by asking myself, "Did I feed pork the day before, or beef/lamb?"  sillytongue

Overall, it comes out to:
4 days chicken
2 days pork
1 day beef
1 day lamb

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 07:03:05 PM »
Doh!  Re-reading that, I realize I was not quite clear.   bonkhead

Ah, I've got it now. Thanks for the clarification!

This is one of the cool things about feeding frankenprey... as long as one follows the 80/10/5/5 guideline, the menu and feeding regimen is completely up to the cat owner. Flexibility rocks!

AC

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 10:32:52 PM »
Thanks all for posting your menus!  Gives me something to mull over in my head. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 08:31:02 AM »
I've seen some (in other forums) say it's not a good idea to feed pork, and others are okay with it.   :-\  Thoughts?  References?  Advice?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »
The typical argument against feeding pork that you risk it containing trichinosis.

However, in the US, Australia, Canada, and the UK, it is safe to feed pork fresh from any government approved source without risking trichinosis.  Pork has never been affected by trichinosis in Australia (or at least, it was never reported).  In the US pork has been safe for at least a decade, which is close to the same time as it has been safe in the UK.  But, if you are not sure of the pig's provenance and/or live in some EU countries, you should freeze pork for three weeks prior to feeding it, which will kill any trichinosis the meat contains.  Information that is contrary to this is either old data or scare tactics.

I have no problems with feeding pork.  My cats love it, it is a fairly cheap, and readily available.

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »
The farm cats menu (for 14 cats):

Sunday: Pork
Monday: Chicken Gizzards
Tuesday: Bone-in chicken, beef/chicken liver
Wednesday: Beef
Thursday: Chicken Heart
Friday: Bone-in chicken, beef/lamb kidney
Saturday: Turkey

That is just a rough idea of what they get.  They do get other meats to, though beef heart is the other main one.  Soon I will also be throwing venison and elk (and possibly duck) into the mix, once hunting season starts here.  Tuesday/Friday are the days that each cat gets a fish oil softgel, Friday the ones that won't eat fishoil softgels, get a sardine a piece.

The farm cats are fed once a day, which I know is not ideal.  However, there is no way for me to get there more than one time a day.  They have been getting fed that way since most of them were kittens, and typically won't eat if I try to bring them their food an hour early, they just aren't hungry yet.

Matilda/Mooshu/TyTy/Mikey/Morey/Mitch/Malachi: They each have their own ziploc with 20 ounces of food in it.  Each ziploc has 13 ounces of meat, 5 ounces of bone-in chicken, 1 ounce of liver, and 1 ounce of kidney.  The meat could be beef heart, beef, pork, chicken heart, chicken gizzards, beef heart, or turkey. 

"Calf Barn Cats" (five of them) eat the same thing as the farm cats....they are just on a differant farm.  However, they get canned in the morning, and then raw at night.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »
I've seen some (in other forums) say it's not a good idea to feed pork, and others are okay with it.   :-\  Thoughts?  References?  Advice?
The typical argument against feeding pork that you risk it containing trichinosis.

However, in the US, Australia, Canada, and the UK, it is safe to feed pork fresh from any government approved source without risking trichinosis.  ...  In the US pork has been safe for at least a decade...  But, if you are not sure of the pig's provenance and/or live in some EU countries, you should freeze pork for three weeks prior to feeding it, which will kill any trichinosis the meat contains.  Information that is contrary to this is either old data or scare tactics.

What Mo said.   thumbsup1

I've been feeding it for 3 years with no problems. 
It's the main fatty food in my menu cycle.   eat1

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
Do you guys all freeze your food first for a few weeks before feeding it?
How many ounces would I feed per meal?
How do I start out?
How do I start without them getting sick, or poopies?

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 05:16:22 PM »
First off let me note that I feed ground raw instead of frankenprey.

Do you guys all freeze your food first for a few weeks before feeding it?
Yes and no. I prepare my food in batches, so sometimes the meat is frozen for a while before I process it, but often it is fresh. Once I have made a batch of food, I put most of it in the freezer, but one or two days gets refrigerated instead since I am going to use it immediately.

How many ounces would I feed per meal?
That depends on your cat's weight and activity level, along with the calorie density of the food. The less complicated answer is "between 4 and 6 ounces on average, depending."

How do I start out?
Go out and buy a pack of chicken thigh/breasts. See if your cat(s) will eat it. Go from there. Find a meat that your cat likes, and when they will eat it consistently and have no stomach upsets, start adding bone and organ in small amounts. When you cat is used to the food and has no issues, you can start feeding a ground recipe or find a frankenprey schedule that fits you. Make sure to feed a variety of meats, but add new meats one at a time and slowly to prevent stomach upset.

How do I start without them getting sick, or poopies?
You go slowly, starting with one meat at a time and adding variety very gradually. Organ can cause loose stools, so try to feed your organ meats with bone meals for frankenprey. I have to parboil or parbroil meat in order to kill surface bacteria because my cat has a weakened immune system. Please note, however, that healthy cats should not have a problem with clean, well sourced raw meat.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 07:47:54 PM »
Thanks Amber I have been getting quite a bit of info from IBD kitties web site too so this is great :)
Im just wondering if all stores only sell frozen cornish game hens? that is all I have found. I have been told to thaw it just a bit them seperate it, then refreeze the rest, as I know I wouldnt be able to use it up fast enough.
I should do ground becuase Shadow has no teeth (only inscissors and fangs). So this would be easier for her.
Though I really dont want to buy a grinder, and do all that grinding. :-\

Tags: