Author Topic: Re: Raw  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Raw
« on: December 15, 2011, 06:35:17 PM »
The following is said in COMPLETE respect to ALL raw feeders.  I promise.  I'm in awe of you that feed raw...and YOUR confidence.

There seems to be so many "options" to raw feeding.  Who does a person listen to?  What "recipe" should one follow?  Do I want to take the chance of screwing up my furkids health myself...or just let the pet food industry do it FOR me?    bangshead
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
Re: Simplistic Recipe - Is it complete?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:29:53 AM »
The following is said in COMPLETE respect to ALL raw feeders.  I promise.  I'm in awe of you that feed raw...and YOUR confidence.

There seems to be so many "options" to raw feeding.  Who does a person listen to?  What "recipe" should one follow?  Do I want to take the chance of screwing up my furkids health myself...or just let the pet food industry do it FOR me?    bangshead

First of all, you can feed raw without home-preparing it. There are several high-quality commercial options available and more are coming to market all the time. Some, like Nature's Variety Instinct, even cater to those who are concerned about bacteria by guaranteeing their foods are pathogen-free (not a guarantee you'll ever see on kibble or canned products).

Second, if you're worried a particular "recipe" isn't complete, don't use recipes... feed as nature intended and offer your cats whole prey or frankenprey. It's easy and you can't go wrong, since you're following nature's own recipe.

Third, there is no topic under the sun that isn't going to have it's fringe element, it's well-meaning but uneducated advocates, and those who are out to make a buck. Just like any other decision, research the topic and determine for yourself what makes enough sense for you to elicit your confidence.

I know for a fact that nature's package is perfect for my cat, and I also know the pet food industry is simply guessing that it's vitamin / mineral supplements are complete and balanced, and that the many additives they throw in are completely harmless. I also know the pet food industry's priority is profit, while mine is the health of my cats. Finally, I know of no healthy cat that has been killed eating a natural and balanced raw diet, and I know of thousands that have been killed eating what the pet food industry spews out. Historical evidence dictates cats are safer and healthier eating what I'm giving them than they'll ever be eating from a can or, heaven forbid, a bag.

Regards!

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:38:54 AM »
I should have worded my post better...   :-[

Random thoughts in my pointed little head:
Commercially prepared raw (from a REPUTABLE source) doesn't seem to be an option, due to cost.
I would like to go from canned wet to mushy raw ONLY for a short period.  My ultimate goal would be feeding whole prey or frankenprey.  I think the transition from wet to mushy raw would be easier on the felines.  The dogs...they are open to ANYTHING.  
I am NOT afraid of feeding raw food (from a reputable source or home prepared), due to bacteria... or any other BS that the anti-raw people throw around for scare tactics or personal financial gain. I have had several intelligent and educated people explain to me why that is NOT something I need to be concerned about.
My concern is... ME not being able to follow a mushy wet diet recipe from a reputable person's recipe.  
Me not feeding the needed variety of meat, organs, bones, supplements ?, etc.  
Getting 7 felines, 2 dogs, and 1 hubby to go with the program.  

I also know that I am probably making this waaaaay more difficult then it actually is. I can't be the only wacko...there has to be others that find (or have been "conditioned" to think) feeding raw is complicated. Something someday IS going to click for me.  
Feel free to roll your eyes at me.  I would.  I KNOW raw is the best.  I've been yapping about the subject for a very long time, and yet...here I am, still scratching my head.   bangshead

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:41:29 AM by Lola »

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »
Lola, the only way to become comfortable feeding home-prepared raw is to actually do it.

When I first started, I tried all sorts of things, some of which worked and some of which didn't. One of the later was attempting to break down whole chickens or quail - for some, this is a great way to save money, for me, it's a huge and aggravating waste of time. I hate it and will never, by choice, do it again. Learning what fits into your schedule will be somewhat trial and error and once the dust settles, your choices and methods will be unique to you.

It only took a couple of months before I settled into a routine, and now it's old hat. Even so, I keep a schedule on my fridge to make things that much easier for me:

With the variety of items I'm feeding, I've scheduled it so the cats don't get any given product more than twice a week. I also set breakfast as the most standard meal - it's always chunky meat and it's always ten ounces. Dinner is the meal that fluctuates the most - three bone-in meals, two liver and meat meals and two kidney and meat meals every week. Bone-in meals were measured out when I first began raw feeding, but no longer (it's always six chicken wings, three large ribs, etc.), and organ meals are balanced 50/50 with meats I only feed with those organs (chicken breast and gizzards).

I deliberately set it up that, with the number of cats I have and their total weights, plus feeding 10 ounces for breakfast every day, I can feed chicken quarters and turkey drumsticks as their final meal four nights out of the week, even though the quarters and drumstick vary, sometimes considerably, in weight. One chicken quarter per meal, one turkey leg per meal, peeled off the bone and separated into mostly even amounts between the six cats - no weighing necessary! (The chicken quarter is also skinned.)

Exactly the same thing with the six drummettes separated from the six chicken wings - they make one meal for all six cats, regardless of their weight.

- - - - - - - - -

I wrote all this out to show you that you don't have to be exact. Raw feeding is a very flexible practice and can be tweaked in whatever manner best suits your lifestyle. The ONLY constant is that you do have to ensure your cats eat what you give them, so their meat / bone / liver / organ balance remains fairly constant... and there are many ways to support this (like crating for security and sprinkling with Whole Life treats when necessary).

Hope you find some of this encouraging! Please know, however - you can't wait for the confidence to come before you jump in... you jump in and your success will breed your confidence.

AC

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
AC thanks for that post showing feeding schedule. This will help a lot.
Guess what Im getting for Christmas?? a digital kitchen scale, I am so excited  ;D
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »
When I first started, I tried all sorts of things, some of which worked and some of which didn't. One of the later was attempting to break down whole chickens or quail - for some, this is a great way to save money, for me, it's a huge and aggravating waste of time. I hate it and will never, by choice, do it again.

I find cutting up whole chickens...oddly calming.  Nothing like cutting up a couple dozen fryer chickens and taking out your frustration on them.  That and the look when you buy them is pretty good as well (I get a lot of chicken when I find it for $0.79 a pound).  I never cut up meat with a knife, I always use a meat cutting scissors, much easier IMO.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:46:32 PM »
I find cutting up whole chickens...oddly calming.  Nothing like cutting up a couple dozen fryer chickens and taking out your frustration on them.  That and the look when you buy them is pretty good as well (I get a lot of chicken when I find it for $0.79 a pound).  I never cut up meat with a knife, I always use a meat cutting scissors, much easier IMO.
Mo where would I find meat cutting scissors? another thing to put on my christmas wish list :)

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »
Mo where would I find meat cutting scissors? another thing to put on my christmas wish list :)

They're called "shears" and you can find them anywhere they sell knives. I'd recommend picking up a good quality combo knife / shear sharpener as well - there's nothing so aggravating as working with dull cutting tools!

AC

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
Thanks for your response Auntie Crazy.  I'm going to print it out, and read over it 101 times.  :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:46:53 PM by Lola »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »
Ive just used the online calculater to find out how much to feed, awesome I must say!! thumbsup1
Thanks AC :)
Now the only thing Im concerned about it is them getting wet poopies, lol!! how do I stop this from happening?
I gave Wilson some Beef the other night, he loved it and gnawed away at it like it was old hat to him.
Shadow on the other hand not so much, but as soon as I put it in the frying pan just to take the chill of, she gobbled it up.
She is going to take alot of work I know.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »
Wet poopies...

I've recently been working on our bunch to eat (willingly) different brands and more varieties of meats...other then chicken.  I added this to prevent the poopies and such.  http://www.amazon.com/Holistic-Select-Solution-Digestive-Remedies/dp/B000VT1R7U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1324090333&sr=1-1

So far, so good.

However, Pookie mentioned using this: http://www.amazon.com/NaturVet-Digestive-Enzymes-Prebiotics-Probiotics/dp/B001BOMAL6?tag=parenfurki-20
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:53:41 PM by Lola »

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:05:15 PM »
I seem to be a bit lost. Raw foods don't cause runny or loose stools....

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 12:50:02 AM »
I seem to be a bit lost. Raw foods don't cause runny or loose stools....
but when you introduce them to something new, would it not cause loose stool?
Also I heard if you do not give them bone and only meat this will cause loose stool.
Its going to take some time to introduce the bone to Wilson,Shadow not sure what I am going to do about bone since she has only her fangs and inscissors. :-\

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 12:51:33 AM »
Wet poopies...

I've recently been working on our bunch to eat (willingly) different brands and more varieties of meats...other then chicken.  I added this to prevent the poopies and such.  http://www.amazon.com/Holistic-Select-Solution-Digestive-Remedies/dp/B000VT1R7U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1324090333&sr=1-1

So far, so good.

However, Pookie mentioned using this: http://www.amazon.com/NaturVet-Digestive-Enzymes-Prebiotics-Probiotics/dp/B001BOMAL6?tag=parenfurki-20

Lola I have the Holistic select solution, but its now expired :( plus I dont think they would eat it sprinkled on a chunk of meat.

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 01:00:40 AM »
but when you introduce them to something new, would it not cause loose stool?

Generally speaking, only if the food is so difficult to digest that it requires "adjustment" (such as kibble and carb-heavy canned products). Raw food doesn't fall into that category.

Also I heard if you do not give them bone and only meat this will cause loose stool.
Its going to take some time to introduce the bone to Wilson,Shadow not sure what I am going to do about bone since she has only her fangs and inscissors. :-\

Do a slow transition and / or include commercial raw in the transition and / or add ground egg shells (.5 teaspoon per pound of meat) as a temporary substitute.

I've read of many dentally-challenged cats handling meat chunks and bones (small, of course) just fine. Only Shadow can tell you if this is something she's comfortable with.

AC

Tags: