Author Topic: Urinary Tract Health - from Dr. Pierson's site  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Urinary Tract Health - from Dr. Pierson's site
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »
I was looking for information on cats and urinary health and checked Dr. Pierson's site:

http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

Her focus is more on making sure they are on a high-moisture diet, and less on pH.  I did a quick re-read of the UTI section in Dr. Hodgkins' book, and she tended to focus oh the pH and how concentrated the urine is.  I want to look at it again, because I can't remember what she said the ideal pH is for cats.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Urinary Tract Health - from Dr. Pierson's site
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:09:12 AM »
Just a quick follow-up:  I re-checked Dr. Hodkins' book, and it states the ideal pH is below 7.4.  However, in the 3 cases that she includes of cats that had urinary issues, after treatment and a switch to an all-wet diet, all 3 tested at a pH of 6.5 and she was happy with that.

One of the 3 cases came into her clinic with a pH of 5.5 and he was developing crystals, due to being on a "prescription" dry food.  She explained to his owners that the urine was too acidic, and also that it was too concentrated because of the low-moisture diet he was on.  (Elsewhere in that section, she also mentions the moisture is needed to flush out the crystals).

So I'm a little confused as to how critical pH is compared to the amount of moisture in the diet.   :-\  On one hand, you have Dr. Pierson stating the moisture is the most important factor, and yet pH seems to be very relevent as well.

When I have more time, I'll check out Dr. Hofve's site to see what she has to say . . .

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »
This program has been interrupted, for this message:

I have an extra Your Cat book.  Brand new.  If you don't have one and want one, MC, I can send it to you. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:43 AM »

I have an extra Your Cat book.  Brand new.  If you don't have one and want one, MC, I can send it to you. 

LOL!

I searched littlebigcat and almost all of Dr. Jean's articles emphasize moisture for urinary health.  The only place I found where she referenced pH was here:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/vegetarian-cats/

Cats consuming meat have a naturally low urinary pH; vegetables and grains cause the urine pH to be alkaline. While the food producers skim over this problem, the website Vegan Cats is at least honest about the risk. They recommend frequent testing of the cat’s urine pH to make sure it is remaining in the normal range (6.5 or less), and therefore less likely to create struvite crystals and stones in the bladder.

It's interesting . . . there doesn't seem to be a "hard" number for ideal urinary pH.  Just for fun, I checked Dr. Pitcairn's book (which is probably outdated) and he mentioned pH of 6 to 7.  Another book I have (also outdated) mentioned a pH of 6.8 or lower.

Doh1 I didn't think to look at Pookie's last lab work to see what the reference range is.  Feel free to post it, anyone, if you have it handy.  I'm curious now.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
I have a few test results.... what is it listed as?  I don't see anything that just reads "PH Levels."  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »

I would like that very much, thank you!

As for the pH vs moisture, I've read a lot about both, too.  I think it depends on the cat and the situation.

For instance my Mazy cat is on a high moisture diet (all canned and raw) and yet her pH is still high, according to her last UA at the vet.  It was 8.0.  This was a home catch and the phinex strip said that same urine was 6.75.   Granted some bacteria was detected also and she did go on a course of antibiotics.  I don't think it's been tested since then, I can't seem to get her to the vet with a full enough bladder for the cystocentesis, but she is asymptomatic.

I have a friend whose cat has idiopathic cystitis.  He is on an all canned partial raw diet.  His pH is always normal (6.5) but he periodically has bouts of showing urinary tract disease symptoms. Stress induced inflammation is the hypothesis.

I also know of another cat on an all raw diet who still has urinary tract issues, a female.  I can't remember the details of hers, if it is pH related or what, but she was on a dry diet for many years before going raw.  Just as Mazy was, and my friend with the boy cat was.

So I think moisture is the most important thing.  Then, if the problems continue, pH has to be considered.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 05:36:09 PM »
I bought a few to donate to a Cat Rescue auction.  Only one sold.  :(  I thought there would be more interest... the majority are kibble feeders.  I probably just answered my own question.  Silly7

Anyway, I will put it in the mail this week.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 07:15:55 PM »
I happened to find the lab work for Pookie's sister, and the range is 5.5 - 7.

So I think moisture is the most important thing.  Then, if the problems continue, pH has to be considered.

I think you're right.

I bought a few to donate to a Cat Rescue auction.  Only one sold.  :(  I thought there would be more interest... the majority are kibble feeders.  I probably just answered my own question.  Silly7

LOL!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »
I happened to find the lab work for Pookie's sister, and the range is 5.5 - 7.

Where are you finding the info, on the lab work? 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 09:06:05 AM »
Where are you finding the info, on the lab work? 

The last time I took her to the vet, they did a urinalysis in addition to the bloodwork.  It's listed on the results as pH.   :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
The last time I took her to the vet, they did a urinalysis in addition to the bloodwork.  It's listed on the results as pH.   :)

Hmmm  I'll look again... 

Tags: