Author Topic: Turmeric for fatty lipomas?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Turmeric for fatty lipomas?
« on: November 27, 2017, 05:01:03 PM »
There's a dog in my neighborhood, medium/large size mixed breed, old (I think 14), who has a HUGE fatty lump on her side.  She can't really use her back legs but can wag her tail.  The owners have a cart for her back legs so she can be mobile, and also some sort of sling they use to lift her hind legs while she "walks" with the front.  When it first showed up, the vet told her parents that it was benign and just ignore it.  Well, now it's so big that her parents (and I agree) think it's pressing against her spine and that's why she can't really use her back legs.  The vet doesn't think there's a connection.   Doh1 bangshead bangshead  But they also won't do surgery to remove it because of her age.

I've done some Googling and it looks like turmeric might help reduce fatty lumps on dogs.  I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with it, had ever tried it, did it help, and if there was anything else they might have used to treat fatty lumps (lipomas) that didn't involve surgery?

Thanks!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Turmeric for fatty lipomas?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:29:28 PM »
Can't comment but all paws crossed for that dog.  Damn vet should have removed it when the dog was younger and healthier.

Search on Dr Karen Becker's site, she's talked about tumeric (curcummin) before

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/dr-karen-becker.aspx

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Turmeric for fatty lipomas?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »
There are several supplements you can add to help get rid of lipomas, if it IS that, but you also need a diet change. Those lipomas are considered masses of toxins by the holistic practitioners.

This article is long, so I've only quoted the parts that list supplements. The rest needs to be read as well.

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.com/2013/03/fatty-tumors-lipomas-in-dogs-benign.html

Part Two -  Supplement Your Dog’s Diet

Turmeric – you need to get your dog on this herb ASAP read more about turmeric here; The curcumin which gives turmeric its bright yellow colour contains compounds that have been proven to reduce lipomas in dogs (and humans :>)

Other Recommended De-toxers and Immune System Boosters
Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
Coconut Oil
Garlic (no it is not bad for dogs, read the facts, don’t be fooled by unsubstantiated false rumors);
Lemon (fresh);
Omega 3-Fatty Acids;
Rooibos Tea;
Probiotics;
Whole fresh foods high in first quality antioxidants and nutrients.

Topical Treatment for Fatty Tumors (Lipomas)

Sage
Sage has a natural affinity to attract fat. You can apply sage extract topically to the lipoma on a daily basis.

Turmeric
In addition to supplementing your dog’s daily diet with Turmeric, this herb can also be used topically to treat lipoma.

Preparation and application
Combine:
1 tsp of turmeric, with;
1 tsp of olive oil, or grape seed oil or almond oil;
Mix:
 Mix until the ingredients form a soft, well blended paste;
Apply:
Apply the resulting paste directly to the skin surface of the fatty tumor;
Please note that the natural colour in turmeric will stain clothing, carpet etc.
So after application you should restrict your dog to an area where the stain will not adhere to items that you value, or;
Put your dog outside for a while.
This treatment can be used once or more a day.
Turmeric is safe for pregnant dogs.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."