Author Topic: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding  (Read 27646 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »
Thinking of you, your furkids, AND your friend.   grouphug
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2017, 04:17:20 PM »
Ugh.  It got me, too.  Temp. 100.1, very woozy.  Cats seem better today. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »
See if you can get some Tamiflu within the first 48 hours.

And check Pookie's list for me here:

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=5507.msg41276
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
See if you can get some Tamiflu within the first 48 hours.

And check Pookie's list for me here:

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=5507.msg41276

Probably too late for Tamiflu.  I think this is what I thought was a cold the other day.  I'll see if we have anything on the list and take it if we do, but honestly, if we don't, I'll just have to live with it.  I do not feel comfortable driving feeling this light-headed.  In fact, I've spoken with J, and if I am no better tomorrow morning, we will have to find another way for her to get home, although they may be willing to keep her for another day, which would be even better.  If they are taking care of her, I can rest and take care of myself. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
Glad to hear cats are doing better.  And your friend.  Your turn!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »
One thing I forgot to add on the list:  hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!  And rest (as much as possible).

P.S.  Chicken soup (or bone broth  :D) would also help.  And a probiotic if you have any at home.  Those are helpful even if you're not sick.

HangInThere GoodVibes GoodVibes CatPurr  HeadButt HeadButt :-* :-* Hug1
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 09:16:20 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2017, 07:34:19 AM »
How is everything Catgirl?  Are the cats all eating again? All canned, or have you tried again with the homemade?

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2017, 10:51:53 AM »
How is everything Catgirl?  Are the cats all eating again? All canned, or have you tried again with the homemade?

Better than they were.  I admit I did give them a little bit of ACANA dry last night.  I know that's bad, but I was so nauseous I couldn't bear the smell of any food, cat or human, and didn't want to throw up all over their dinner, and I had to give them something.   :-[   It won't become a habit, it's the bribe food I got in desperation the other day - 3 12 oz. bags.  They nibbled at it, enough to keep me from panicking, but I don't expect any real setbacks in terms of their holding out for it again.  I just opened some canned for them a few minutes ago, and they are eating it.  All I have the energy for.  Thank goodness, J found another ride home from the hospital, so I won't have to go out in the rain - weather here is horrid right now.  My scale is supposed to arrive today, and the Redbarn and green-lipped mussel powder I ordered is expected tomorrow.  I have some homemade ready to go in the freezer, but do not want to let my stash of canned food I know they like get too low while I transition, as I suspect that is what caused all this hassle in the first place.   
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:29:28 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
Back on track!  Scale is here, good supply of Redbarn is here, green-lipped mussel powder is here (I will share this with J's two elderly terriers - I think it will be good for them.)  Will take out a container of homemade to thaw later. 

I am not 100% by a long shot, but I feel human today.  Lucy eating normally and chattering away again.  I was worried about Mouse yesterday, as she seemed kind of dull and depressed, but she's feeling better today, as well.  Mouse is EXTREMELY bonded to me, and I am wondering if me being so sick made her seem a little "off."  She spent most of yesterday under a side chair, but is sitting here on the arm of the recliner now, overseeing my Internet activities.   HeadButt

Felt too rotten to do anything with the scale yesterday, other than bring it in off the stoop and leave it in the box in the utility room.  Here pretty soon, I'm going to weigh everyone. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2017, 10:18:39 PM »
I was worried about Mouse yesterday, as she seemed kind of dull and depressed, but she's feeling better today, as well.  Mouse is EXTREMELY bonded to me, and I am wondering if me being so sick made her seem a little "off."  She spent most of yesterday under a side chair, but is sitting here on the arm of the recliner now, overseeing my Internet activities.   HeadButt

That is VERY possible.  I'm glad she and Lucy are feeling better, and that you're feeling feeling human.   :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2017, 12:43:38 AM »
Glad you are feeling a bit better!
I totally believe our furkids relate to how we are feeling. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
Glad you are feeling a bit better!
I totally believe our furkids relate to how we are feeling.

I think so, too.  I got Jeoffry as a young kitten, when my dad was pretty much bedridden.  That little angel barely left his side the last days of his life, and when Dad was gone, he showed the same behavior to my mother, who had Alzheimer's.  I thought for quite a while that he didn't like me very much.  He did, he just knew where he was needed more.  You don't see many people using cats as therapy animals, but I keep wondering if I should look into it for him.  I have never seen any animal so filled with love for all fellow creatures.   

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »
You don't see many people using cats as therapy animals, but I keep wondering if I should look into it for him.  I have never seen any animal so filled with love for all fellow creatures.   

Check this out:  http://www.naturalawakeningsmag.com/Natural-Pet-Archive/Feline-Workforce/

Therapists
At the University of California Medical Center in San Francisco, Duke Ellington Morris visits with patients while nurses check vital signs; he’s part of an animal-assisted therapy program through the city’s Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

With the help of his humans, Jessica and Eric Hagan, of Pennsylvania’s Wolf Creek Township, Draven was certified through a local Love on a Leash chapter that qualifies pet-provided therapy animals. He showed My Cat From Hell host Jackson Galaxy his hospital routine for a segment called “My Cat From Heaven.” Draven regularly visits the Grove City Medical Center, in Pine Township, local nursing homes and service groups.

I will warn you, though, that I've heard dogs that are raw-fed are not permitted to be therapy dogs, due to concerns about transmitting the bacteria from their food (of course, the recalls of kibble due to bacteria, fungus, etc. are totally ignored), so it wouldn't surprise me if that also applies to cats.  :( >:(

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2017, 03:11:31 PM »
Check this out:  http://www.naturalawakeningsmag.com/Natural-Pet-Archive/Feline-Workforce/

I will warn you, though, that I've heard dogs that are raw-fed are not permitted to be therapy dogs, due to concerns about transmitting the bacteria from their food (of course, the recalls of kibble due to bacteria, fungus, etc. are totally ignored), so it wouldn't surprise me if that also applies to cats.  :( >:(

Nope. Delta Society won't allow raw fed animals. However, the AKC has a huge list of therapy groups that might allow it. I'm just not going to go through them all to find out:

http://www.akc.org/events/title-recognition-program/therapy/organizations/

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »

I hadn't thought of that, but I bet you are right.  I suspect they probably demand more vaccinations than I am willing to subject him to, as well.  I am not a fan of giving pets every available shot at every possible opportunity.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:52:48 PM by Catgirl64 »

Tags: