Author Topic: Safe Household Cleaning  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Safe Household Cleaning
« on: March 23, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »
This can also be printed, for a handy reference... or sharing.  :)

Sorry, can't provide a snip of info.

http://thecreativecat.net/living-green-with-pets-spring-cleaning-new/#.Uy97StzoZz8
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Safe Household Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »
I have been cleaning with vinegar for a while now.  It does an AWESOME job.  I don't mind the vinegar smell either.  It doesn't seem to hang around long anyway. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »
One of the great thing about cleaning with vinegar too, if you have allergies, it neutralizes the proteins that dogs have all over them from one thing or another--dander, saliva, urine.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 05:05:41 AM »
I've been cleaning with white vinegar for about 2 years.  I miss the fresh clean scent of bleach, but prefer the safety of vinegar and baking soda.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
Fresh scent of bleach?  I'm surprised you like it.  The smell just about kills me!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »
I miss the fresh clean scent of bleach, but prefer the safety of vinegar and baking soda.

Using bleach to clean with makes me wheezy.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
Well I don't mean overpowering, like it smells as you use it straight from the bottle.  I just like the smell of a house that has been cleaned with bleach. I still use it once in a while for certain things.  But not often.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 01:08:32 PM »
Well I don't mean overpowering, like it smells as you use it straight from the bottle.

I'm talking any product with bleach in it though. I'll also get wheezy at indoor swimming pools too, so I avoid them as well. In fact, most chemicals make me wheezy. I like these one-piece tub units in this house a lot better than our old house just because they're so much easier to clean and keep clean without strong products. Furniture polish is about the only thing that doesn't make me wheezy, as long as I stick to one room a day. Doing the whole house in one day ends up causing problems with that too, but my wood furniture is one place I can't imagine using vinegar.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 03:06:52 PM »
Well I don't mean overpowering, like it smells as you use it straight from the bottle.  I just like the smell of a house that has been cleaned with bleach. I still use it once in a while for certain things.  But not often.

Oh, I think I know what you mean.  I USED to like the smell of a home, that had been cleaned with Pine-Sol.  Not the smell while cleaning, or the smell straight from the bottle... the "left over" smell.

Note:  If someone else maybe reading.  Pine-sol is DANGEROUS to use in a home with cats...and probably other pets as well.  Not just if they ingest or lick something that has been cleaned with Pine-sol either.  The oder itself. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »
DeeDee,
I don't polish furniture.  A person, that cleans houses for a living, told me to use a lightly damp (water) cleaning rag.  It works!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
I use a furniture polish once a month b/c the man from Cresent furniture told me to do that. He said the wood needs it to keep it moisturized because wood can dry out just like anything else can. He said that's the reason some people have furniture that can be handed down as antiques, and others don't. So I do what he told me to do. I want it to last at least as long as I live.

I use either the Old English in the pump spray, or Pledge that's now in the pump spray with the Orange scent. I like Orange a lot better than Lemon, but I buy whatever's cheapest on any given day.

The rest of the time now I just use a Swiffer and a vacuum hose running at the same time. Holding a vacuum hose up where I'm pushing the Swiffer towards keeps any dust from going anywhere else at all. Swiffers will catch most of the dust, but some of it DOES go in the air no matter what they say. I want it REmoved completely--not just moved around.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:26:55 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
I have to use Vinegar as we are on septic, so bleach cannot go down the drain at all. Bleach makes Shadow go all weird, rolling on her back she used to love the smell of it I think. lol
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 01:25:53 PM »
DeeDee,
I don't polish furniture.  A person, that cleans houses for a living, told me to use a lightly damp (water) cleaning rag.  It works!

I use a furniture polish once a month b/c the man from Cresent furniture told me to do that. He said the wood needs it to keep it moisturized because wood can dry out just like anything else can.

I actually do both.
I also cleaned houses for several years.
I use a well wrung damp cloth for quick dusting.  A lightly misted Swiffer Duster works pretty well, too.
But about twice a year or so, I'll get out the lemon oil and Howard's polish and give my woods a good "feeding".

Also, you don't need fancy glass cleaners to get a streak free window/mirror. Streaks are usually caused by the residue of the cleaners themselves.  Clean with damp paper towel (or spritz of vinegar water), dry with dry paper towel.   Drying is key.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags: