Author Topic: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list  (Read 94568 times)

Offline deuce

Re: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2016, 07:12:40 AM »
Browsing through the varieties on chewy this morning as I like to change it up to keep a variety for the boys and came across Spring Naturals Grain-Free 95% Chicken & Liver Dinner with a Medley of Garden Greens & Berries. Seems like a decent food?
I think I will give this a try since it has no carrageenan or gums.
The one ingredient that I am not sure on though is the agar agar, it seems some opinions are it's almost the same as carrageenan?

Hopefully it's ok to post a link to the spring naturals website...

http://www.springnaturals.com/blog/post/spring-naturals-goes-carrageenan-and-guar-gum-free-/

http://www.springnaturals.com/products/grain_free_cats/canned_dinners/chicken-and-liver-cat-food/20/

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2016, 09:49:58 AM »

http://www.springnaturals.com/blog/post/spring-naturals-goes-carrageenan-and-guar-gum-free-/

http://www.springnaturals.com/products/grain_free_cats/canned_dinners/chicken-and-liver-cat-food/20/

Everyone here is all about links. It's a big part of how everyone here learns. Nice to meet you! Someone with cats will get back to you soon.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2016, 10:40:10 AM »
Browsing through the varieties on chewy this morning as I like to change it up to keep a variety for the boys and came across Spring Naturals Grain-Free 95% Chicken & Liver Dinner with a Medley of Garden Greens & Berries. Seems like a decent food?
I think I will give this a try since it has no carrageenan or gums.
The one ingredient that I am not sure on though is the agar agar, it seems some opinions are it's almost the same as carrageenan?

Thank you!  Yes,  agar agar is the the way pet food makers are getting around the consumer now learning about how bad carrageenan is.  It is similar, in a way, to pet food manufacturers listing "maize" as in ingredient to hide the fact that they are using corn.

Not exactly the same as maize is another word for corn, but agar agar and carrageenan are both seaweed.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2016, 11:58:05 AM »
agar agar is the the way pet food makers are getting around the consumer now learning about how bad carrageenan is. 

Should we change our list to read "Carrageenan AND Agar Agar free," since pet food manufactures are getting sneakier and sneakier? 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:00:34 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »
Deuce,
Is dehydrated foods doable for you? 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2016, 06:05:22 PM »
Should we change our list to read "Carrageenan AND Agar Agar free," since pet food manufactures are getting sneakier and sneakier? 

We could.  It would mean checking each food on the list.  I should do that anyway soon to check on changes.  now that the over time is finally over maybe my wrists will stop hurting so much and I can spend more time on the computer at home.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2017, 05:35:26 AM »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2017, 05:28:41 AM »
Sadly no because of the rice.  bangshead

Organic Turkey, Organic Turkey Liver, Organic Rice Bran (Source of Prebiotics), Organic Brown Rice (Source of Fiber), Organic Stahlbush Island Farms Pumpkin (Source of Color, Fiber and Beta Carotene), Organic Turkey Bone Broth, Gelatin, Himalayan Mountain Crystal Salt, Organic Guar Gum, Organic Nutritional Yeast, Taurine.

I am still looking for a canned food for her to replace the By Nature Organic.  She is all raw now has been for almost a year,  but I do still give her a little canned each week, usually with her egg yolk.

And when she is feeling really urpy I turn to the canned too.  But the By Nature will be gone in May.  So I need something before then.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2017, 07:10:14 AM »
The rice caught my eye too, but...  I wasn't going to judge.  ;)