Author Topic: Doxxing defense: Remove your personal info from data brokers  (Read 860 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Doxxing defense: Remove your personal info from data brokers
« on: December 01, 2014, 10:55:25 AM »
Many women gamers and developers, as well as those who support them, have lately come under attack from online trolls. A common intimidation tactic that trolls use is "doxxing," or publicly exposing their targets' personal details, including home address, phone number and even financial records.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2849263/doxxing-defense-remove-your-personal-info-from-data-brokers.html

It is a start, in the right direction.  Unfortunately many websites quote...it is "public info" or "freedom of speech."  Nothing short of a court order, will make them budge.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Doxxing defense: Remove your personal info from data brokers
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
It is a start, in the right direction.

It's somewhat in the right direction, but my suspicious mind asks:

Just how safe is it to send them a scan of your "government-issued ID" as required by "Intelius and subsidaries" for instance?

Wouldn't admitting that you exist by sending out your personal information in that manner actually be just as dangerous as being on the sites in the first place? After all, by sending your ID scan to get yourself removed, you just voluntarily put your "government-issued ID" into "the cloud," and we all know that the Internet is forever.

Anywho. I've got that question emailed to a security expert that I know.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Doxxing defense: Remove your personal info from data brokers
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »
The companies that were listed...I wouldn't send them my govt issued ID. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: