Author Topic: This Chicken Casserole is GOOD  (Read 1033 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
This Chicken Casserole is GOOD
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »
Sounds weird but it's good. I added in everything that was on the "Additional Ingredients to make it fancy" list. If there are only 2 of you, it works to halve it, and I just used 2 large chicken breasts.

http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/06/poppy-seed-chicken.html

POPPY SEED CHICKEN

FRI, 11 JUN 2010 BY CHRISTY {THE GIRL WHO ATE EVERYTHING}

The type of food most searched for on this blog is “Casseroles” which tells me that you are just like me in the fact that sometimes you just need an easy casserole to feed the troops and call it good. Now I know that casseroles aren’t fancy but sometimes you just have to get ‘er done.
I’ll be honest…somedays I’m lucky if I get a shower and others I’m more together and want to put a little more effort into dinner. So I’ve included the basic poppy seed chicken recipe which by itself is awesome…and then additional ingredients I like to add to make it a little bit more fantastic when I have the time. Oh yeah, and kids love this which makes for a tantrum free dinner table.

Print
Poppy Seed Chicken
Ingredients

5 cups chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 cup sour cream
2 (14.5 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups crushed Ritz crackers (about 1 1/2 rolls of crackers)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
Additional Ingredients to make it fancy:
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 T lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Boil raw chicken breasts with salt and pepper until done. I like to boil it with half an onion cut into large chunks to give it more flavor. Let chicken cool slightly and cut into one inch cubes. Place cubed chicken in a 9X13 casserole dish. *Note: Some people layer some cooked rice on the very bottom underneath the chicken so that it's a meal in one.
Stir together the condensed soup and sour cream. If you wish to add the additional flavorings stir in the Worcestershire, celery salt, garlic, lemon juice, and pepper to the soup and sour cream mixture. Pour over the chicken.
In a separate bowl, stir together the crushed crackers, poppy seeds and melted butter. Sprinkle over the chicken and sauce.
Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top of the casserole is browned and the sauce is bubbly. Serve plain or over rice. We like to eat it with steamed broccoli and we mix it all together.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: This Chicken Casserole is GOOD
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:59:24 PM »
It REALLY sounds good... I'm starving!  lol 

I think I will make it this Sunday.  I needed a new idea.  Thanks. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: