Author Topic: Dental Bones Recommended By Dr. Becker  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Dental Bones Recommended By Dr. Becker
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »
Since I like Dr. Becker...  :)  I thought about trying these bones for Lacy.  Anyone ever try them? Opinions?

http://shop.mercola.com/product/dog-dental-bones-large-12-bones-per-box-1-box,265.htm
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Dental Bones Recommended By Dr. Becker
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
I don't use those kinds of dental bones since I found out that Greenies have caused a lot of blockage problems in some dogs. If I give them any dental anything I use the CET chews http://www.1800petmeds.com/C.E.T.+Oral+Hygiene+Chews+For+Dogs-prod10443.html

Here are all the ingredients in Mercola's:

Ingredients: Organic Brown Rice Powder, Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Pea Power, Tapioca Starch, Water, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrageenan Natural Seaweed Extract), Cinnamon, Calcium Carbonate, Brewers Dried Yeast, Parley Powder, Peppermint Oil, Citric Acid, Rosemary Oil, Mixed Tocopherols (natural Source of Vitamin E)

That doesn't look much different from the new formulation that Greenies has made:

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Greenies+Dental+Treats+for+Dogs-prod10904.html

I know people say that those things work, but I have still have my doubts about it. No one has explained to me yet how carbs do NOT cause a coating on their teeth when I know carbs cause a coating on MY teeth that sends me running for my toothbrush.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »
As long as Lacy isn't prone to seizures (rosemary) and you aren't worried about the carrageenan, I don't see them as harmful. I don't know that they would actually be beneficial for dental health, but I would give one of those to Kite (my grandfather's dog) over a rawhide chew or nylabone any day.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »
Thanks for posting the ingredients, DeeDee.  I couldn't find a list, when I was looking for the info.  I found it now, but they don't make it easy!
Anyway, I went with Dr. Becker's recommendation... no soy, no by-products, etc.  I would think she would be aware of carrageenan.  :(
I don't feed rawhide or nylabones.  Haven't had much luck with real raw bones.  Lacy will swallow Bully sticks pretty much whole... scary!  Was hoping these bones would be a decent choice. 

Offline CatsAndDogs

• Yapper
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:54:33 PM »
Have you tried the curled jumbo bully sticks like these:
http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_10717_21/jumbo_curly_bully_sticks.html

or the giant braided ones like these?:
http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_8586_21/12-inch-monster-braided-bully-sticks

They seem like they would be better at deterring gulpers.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »

I don't feed rawhide or nylabones.  Haven't had much luck with real raw bones.  Lacy will swallow Bully sticks pretty much whole... scary!  Was hoping these bones would be a decent choice. 

We give ours a pressed rawhide bone every night. Barkly gets a 4" one and Vlad gets an 8" one. I buy them in bulk. As long as I keep them size appropriate, they haven't had gulping issues, but I still make them lay here right by me when they're having their nightly chew.

Raw bones. Well I'd like to give them more, but I can't give them anything but necks and backs somewhat separated into smaller bits--2 vertebrae for Barkly and 4 vertebrae for Vlad. That's the only way they'll keep them at their bowls. I can't have them dragging raw bones & meat around the house and possibly poisoning me. I get put in the hospital, they don't get the same care while I'm gone. Neither one of them did very well last year when I had pneumonia.

Have you tried the curled jumbo bully sticks like these:
http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_10717_21/jumbo_curly_bully_sticks.html

or the giant braided ones like these?:
http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_8586_21/12-inch-monster-braided-bully-sticks

They seem like they would be better at deterring gulpers.

Those are the ones I get them for special occasions and like birthdays, Valentine's and Christmas. The braided ones work best for Vlad because he's so big.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 04:06:59 PM »
I think it was Dr. Becker that said a bone can be too small, but not too big.  ??

Amber's use of the word "gulper" made me do some Googling.  I had no idea how common it is.  I've had dogs all my life, and never had one that would swallow a treat or bone, of the size, that Lacy does.  I wonder if Lacy was a sword swallower in a previous life? 

Anyway, I found a solution.  I wasn't too keen on the idea, at first.  The more I read and the more I thought about...it became a bit less weird.  I tried it.  It does work. 

I attached a vice grip to the middle of the bone.  Lacy chews on one end at a time.  When there is just a small middle piece left, I take it away.  Her teeth never come close to the vice grips. 

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
Who cares if its "weird" as long as it works? I am glad you found a solution :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »
Cool idea, Lola!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
I'll try to remember to get a picture to show you.  It is definitely odd, but...  Lacy can have bully sticks again! 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Lacy eating a bully stick... with the help of vice grips
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 02:51:47 PM »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
Genius!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
When googling about gulpers, I found the suggestion.  It has worked out pretty good! 

Tags: