Author Topic: Vital Essentials kitty cups  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Vital Essentials kitty cups
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »
http://vitalessentialsraw.com/html/products/Feline.htm

I got a free sample of the rabbit when I picked up more RadCat for Pookie.  I gave it to him last night, and 5 minutes later it was all over the kitchen, dining room and living room.   :o  Clearly, he either ate it too fast (and he only ate 1/2) or it did NOT agree with him.  *sigh*  The ingredients look good, though, so I wanted to at least let everyone know about a possible new raw option.

Side question for those that feed commercial raw:  do you find that your cat(s) tolerate some raws better than others?  Or are more willing to eat certain raws than others?  I've tried at least 5 different commercial raws, and either Pookie's not interested or he can't tolerate most of them.  Knock wood, the only ones he can handle (and is willing to eat) are the RadCat and Primal, and now he's losing interest in some of the Primal flavors.  Is this normal?  (At least as much as cats do "normal"?)   ::)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Vital Essentials kitty cups
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
Hmmmm.  I am seeing some conflicting info on this Vital Essentials kitty cups.  First...your link doesn't work.  And when I did a search and tried to access the website directly I got the same 404 error message as your link.  How did you get there?

Second, I found some info on the product here:

http://www.solidgoldnorthland.com/2013/01/09/vital-essentials-new-product-package-design/
But no ingredients listed.

Where they make the claim that this product is 100% meat, bone and organ, and nothing else. They also make the claim that the food is 45% organ, which is not balanced.  A balanced diet for a cat is 80% meat (muscle meat) 10% bone 10% organ (5% liver, 5% other secreting organ)

And third, I then found this website that sells this food and they list the ingredients thus the link is to the duck and rabbit, is that what you were feeding?):

http://www.lukesallnatural.com/essentials-distinctive-p-7576.html

Ingredients: Ground duck with bone, duck heart, duck liver, whole rabbit, boneless skinless duck breast, Duck gizzard, duck lung, raw organic goat's milk, raw organic apple cider vinegar, herring oil, d-alpha tocopherol.

They may (in the first link) be counting gizzard and heart as part of that "45% organ", but even so, it is misleading, as heart and gizzard are considered muscle meat for raw feeding, and 45% organ is not balanced.

In addition, while the first site says "nothing but meat, bone and organ" this site lists the ingredients as containing goats milk, herring oil, apple cider vinegars and d-alpha tocopherol (which is vitamin E, used as a preservative I think)

Organs and hearts being very rich, I would not be surprised about the vomiting, you would want to introduce it in much smaller amounts to start.

To answer your question about commercial raw, the only products I feed are Rad Cat frozen raw,  and Stella&Chewy's freeze dried (the chicken, and the duck&goose).  And now, the Bravo hearts, but that will only be once or twice a week.

Tags: