Author Topic: Bad News - By Nature Organics Contains Carrageenan  (Read 6843 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Bad News - By Nature Organics Contains Carrageenan
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
Hello Lola,

Thank you for contacting By Nature® Pet Foods.

The website is correct. Carrageenan is an effective gelling agent derived from natural seaweed sources and used safely in food preparation for man and his companions for decades if not centuries.

We appreciate your interest.

Best Regards,

DEBBIE MARTIN
Customer Service Representative
World's Best Cat LitterT  |  Native® Performance Dog Food | By Nature®
OFFICE:  563.264.4790
FAX: 563.264.4788

Chicken And Chicken Liver:
Ingredients: Organic Chicken, Well Water, Organic Chicken Livers, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Carrageenan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate (Chelated Source of Zinc), Copper Proteinate (Chelated Source of Copper), Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate (Chelated Source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite.

Turkey And Turkey Liver:
Organic Turkey, Well Water, Organic Turkey Liver, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Carrageenan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate (Chelated Source of Zinc), Copper Proteinate (Chelated Source of Copper), Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate (Chelated Source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite.

Turkey And Chicken:
Ingredients: Organic Turkey, Organic Chicken, Well Water, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Carrageenan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate (Chelated Source of Zinc), Copper Proteinate (Chelated Source of Copper), Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate (Chelated Source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite.
http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/productpages/organiccannedcat.php#ccl
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:34:29 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Bad News - By Nature Organics Contains Carrageenan
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »
"and used safely in food preparation for man and his companions for decades if not centuries."

For "centuries?"  Seriously?   ::)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »
I can't comment further, at this time...I'll blow a gasket.  

MC,
I'm sorry.  As soon as you see this thread, I know it will RUIN your day...as it has mine.   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:36:11 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:33:50 PM »
One ingredient that has caught my attention lately is carrageenan.  If one does a PubMed search of carrageenan, they will find many references to "carrageenan-induced inflammation" which is very disturbing in light of how common IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) is in cats.  Please see this link (http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/292/3/G829.full) to an interesting study showing carrageenan to be an inflammatory mediator in human intestinal cells.

Unfortunately, ~80% of the commercial canned products contain carrageenan.  If your cat has chronic diarrhea or vomiting, I suggest trying to find a food without this ingredient listed.

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 01:04:01 PM »
But but (sputtering)  I got the opposite reply when I asked 4 months ago.  Unfortunately it seems to be the one e mail I didn't save.  In addition, someone in another forum called them several days ago and was told the same thing I was told, that the labels on the cans are correct, the website is incorrect and the organic line does not contain carrageenan.

There is no carrageenan on listed on the labels of the cans of By Nature Organic I have, either the last batch or the new batch.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
Since...
1. A company can legally use labels for 6 (?) months after an ingredient change.
2. Their website shows carrageenan in the list of ingredients.  (Changing info on a website would take a nano second.)
3. Their company rep. said the website info is correct.  

I'm leaning towards to believing carrageenan IS present.  

Is carrageenan gum "better" then just carrageenan?   :-\
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:38:06 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 02:20:09 PM »
Just for fits and giggles, MC, why don't you email them again just to see what they say?  I wouldn't mention anything about their reply to Lola, just pretend that you've been feeding it but see the website shows carageenan and wasn't sure which was correct.

Just an idea.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
Just for fits and giggles, MC, why don't you email them again just to see what they say?  I wouldn't mention anything about their reply to Lola, just pretend that you've been feeding it but see the website shows carageenan and wasn't sure which was correct.

Just an idea.

Oh, I did, thanks! :)  I'll let you know when I hear back.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »

Just an idea.

funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:34:39 PM »
Oh, I did, thanks! :)  I'll let you know when I hear back.

If you get a different answer, as you did before...what are we going to do then?  Pick which company rep to believe?  Ask why a VERY EASY fix of the website hasn't been done in MONTHS?  Does anyone have any "old" labels that show carrageenan listed, so that we know FOR SURE the labels, in our possession - without carrageenan listed, are the new/current ones?  It isn't like pet food manufactures have glowing reputations for trust worthiness...

I'm not yelling at you, MC.  I'm just yelling, in general. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »
I know you aren't.

Okay.  I started using By Nature Organic in January.  Every shipment from January through mid June contained the same numbers, the same best by dates, etc.  The most recent order, 7 months after I first ordered the food, contains different lot numbers and dates on the cans, but the label is the same, NO carrageenan is listed.

These are things I keep track of in the Cat Journal.  When I start a new food, it is documented.  When I start a new batch (new lot numbers) of a food I have been feeding consistently, I make a note of it.  I keep track of everything like that.

So the "new batch", which has come in more than six months after my first purchase of this food, still uses labels that do not list carrageenan.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »
I know we have a few threads going on this same topic, whether or not By Nature Organic contains carrageenan.  I hope you don't mind if I post this same post in all of them (if I can find them) so the information in each thread is up to date.

I have just heard from my contact at By Nature and here is the reply intact, except I x'd out my name :)  The bolding is mine

Hi xxxx,

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry and we do apologize for the confusion.  Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding internally, which has created incorrect information in some areas and we are very close to our website as well as all of our labels being revised and updated to reflect the correct ingredient profile; maybe that is how the confusion came about with your friend who called in, again, our apologies.  Although we have been patiently waiting for the updates to be 100% complete on our website there still are changes to be updated and I confirmed yesterday afternoon that this should take place by the end of August.

No need for any more worries; our Organic labels are correct, (there is no Carrageenan) but the website is not and it may be getting updated before the other updates, thank YOU for your continued feedback!  I wasn’t able to respond to you right away because I was waiting for our Brand Manager to let me know when the updates would be available to assure you where we were at with everything.  I greatly apologize for the delay xxxx! 

One of the other Customer Service gals received your other email through the By Nature® site so we understand how important the confirmation of this information is to you so hopefully you can rest assured that the information you have received from me is indeed correct.  Have a great weekend and thank you very much for your time and feedback, we appreciate your continued support!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »
Thanks for the update, MC. 
I guess it does make sense that a company that can't update their website, for several months, would also have misinformed company reps.   ::)

The above is exactly why I tend to NOT contact pet food manufactures.  Why I tend to not believe a pet food manufacture that states one food can be fed to dogs and cats.  The list goes on...

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »
I know Lola.  I don't trust any of them either.  But the thing is, other foods, that I know for sure contain carrageenan have caused Little Cat and Struvite Kitty problems.  The By Nature 95 % for instance, and the Merrick Before Grain.  On either of those brands LC gets diarrhea and SK regurgitates.

I have to feed them something, and so far, the By Nature Organics has not caused either of them any problems.  I DON'T like feeding only one brand, and with Little Cat, I now have her on three brands of canned (one brand one flavor, one brand one flavor, By Nature Organics, two flavors) and two raw foods (Stella&Chewy's freeze dried chicken, rehydrated, Ziwi Peak air dried Lamb). I wouldn't mind a couple more brands for her and another protein, all her foods are chicken except the Ziwi Peak air dried lamb.  I'm looking at that Hounds and Gatos now.

Struvite Kitty still needs another couple of brands and she definitely needs another protein.  I am trying to think of a way to get my hands on some Rad Cat frozen raw, Lamb.  To have it shipped I have to order at least 4 pounds of it.  I would have to buy a small chest freezer to store it.  That's a lot of money to spend out, on a chance she may or may not like it.

Well I'm drifting off topic here.  So hard to stay on topic when talking about what to feed them!

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »
MC I saw this food the other day in the store, it looks good, its freeze dried.
i may try this too
http://www.felinenatural.com/
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets