Author Topic: Perhaps I am wrong, but I just can't bring myself to put her through it  (Read 5829 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Mazy cat is having a flare up of her old ear problem.  What is significant here is I stopped the ACV a couple of weeks ago, because she seemed to stop wanting to eat the meals containing it.  So I figured this may mean she doesn't need it any more.  She hasn't had any increase in digestive problems, but now her ear has gone pink. 

She did have one other ear issue a while back, and I started the mineral oil drops (to loosen wax) and the saline flushes to clean it out, and the problem cleared up.

For some reason this time I decided to call my vet to ask for a bottle of tresaderm.  Wish I hadn't thrown out the old bottle now.  But I did because she hadn't had a problem in so long and it was out of date. Wish I had just left well enough alone, started the ACV again, and started the mineral oil drops and saline flushing.

My vet is on vacation, but a tech called me back to say she spoke to my vet and the vet wants to see Mazy cat before she will dispense the tresaderm.  I don't blame my vet for wanting to be cautious and thorough but I have to think about what's right for Mazy, and what is right for Mazy is as few trips to the vet as possible.

I called the vet tech back and left the message that I wasn't going to bring Mazy in to see a strange (to Mazy cat) vet, it was hard enough on her with her usual vet.  I also left a voice mail for my vet telling her I was not bringing Mazy cat in.  Tech called back and again left the message that vet will not dispense the tresaderm without seeing Mazy, and she would be back in the office on Monday and I should call and make an appointment.

Now you guys know me, and so does my vet.  When something is wrong, I don't hesitate to take the cat to the vet, EXCEPT for Mazy cat.  With Mazy I have to weigh the problem against the trauma.

It's not about money, and it's not about time.  It's about Mazy cat and how terrible it is for her to go to the vet.  I don't know if I am making a mistake or not, we'll see how the home treatment goes.  I just can't bring myself to put her through it, unless absolutely necessary.  I don't even do the six months check ups with her any more, because it's so hard on her. If Mazy cat ever has a long term illness, be it CKD, or whatever, I will not be treating her.  I am just not going to put her (and me) through the trauma. I've never had a cat other than her who has such a hard time at the vet. No cat likes it of course, but for Mazy cat is is pure trauma.

And I absolutely REFUSE to give her acepromazine.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
I totally understand.  That was one of the reasons why I didn't put Pookie through chemo -- travel was hard on him, and the stress certainly wasn't going to help.

You're thinking of what's best for Mazy, and that's what good Mommy's do.  Hopefully the home treatment will work and the vet won't be necessary.   fingerscrossed  If it does become necessary to take her, remember that the Feliway really seemed to help her the last time.  I don't remember if you also used the pet version of Rescue Remedy, but that might help, too.

Sending purrs and hugs that Mazy's ear clears up soon!  grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Thank you Pookie. I used the feliway wipes, the feliway spray and the rescue remedy.  It did help her. 

But..I am really agonizing over this.  I don't want to deprive her of needed medical treatment, but it is just so awful for her.

I am now starting to wonder if I am being really selfish.  Maybe it's just because it's awful for me that I don't want to do it.

I am making myself sick over this.  Doesn't help that I am over worked and over tired because of it. The overwork will slow down soon, I actually expected to already have done so but it didn't yet.

So I don't know even if I am making a rational decision.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
And you know, if it were some random person posting about this I'd be saying: take the cat to the vet.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
I was only suggesting the Feliway, etc. if it really became necessary to take her to the vet.  I completely understand your reasons for not wanting to take her.

See how the home treatment works.  You have at least a day to see if it improves (I don't know if your vet's open on Saturdays).  You know her better than anyone, and it's possible the stress of the trip could make things worse for her.  So give it a little time, and please, try to take care of yourself.  As you've told me before, they pick up on our stress, and that affects them, too.

It will be ok.

HangInThere

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Thank you so much! Especially for reminding me not to be freaking out here at home.  Okay, deep breath, go sit out on the porch with them.  It will be okay. Thank you thank you! (floods of grateful tears)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
We call this stuff the miracle ear treatment, and it's for cats too:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/earmed-boracetic-flush.html

You might want to try it.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/davis-earmed-boracetic-flush

As long as I used it, Dannyboy's ears stayed clear. It's a habit now to use it every week just because.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Knowing how well you care for your cats, ALL the stuff you know about cat care. and all the stress you are under... go with your home care plan.  xo
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Sender purrs that Mazy's ear looks better today.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Thank for your support everyone.  Mazy cat's ear is much improved this morning. I put the mineral oil drops in her ear three days in a row, then last night flushed it out, a good flush out, with the sterile saline solution (warmed up).   At bedtime she let me do some deep massage at the base of the ear and all around that area.  She was really leaning into it!

This morning all the redness is gone.  There are some black bits (wax) that I will wipe out for her sometime today.

I called my vet and left another message (she is still on vacation).  I told her I appreciate her caution and desire to be thorough, it was one of the reasons I loved her as my vet, but I had to make my decisions for Mazy cat based on what was best for Mazy all around.  I told her what I'd done to treat Mazy (all things recommended by her previously) and promised that if the issue came back quickly I would then bring Mazy in to be seen, but would prefer to wait until July and give her a 6 month check up instead.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
PS Thos pics were taken last night.  You can see her left ear is red. It looks so much better today, but I haven't been able to get a clear pic to show.  Because I am trying, of course!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
So glad Mazy is doing better! 
Smart... calling the vet with an update.  You constantly amaze me.   
I just want to RUB that tummy!!!  Great pictures
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
That's wonderful that her ear is getting better!  You GO girl!

I just want to RUB that tummy!!!  Great pictures

That makes 2 of us.  I LOVE tummies!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Mazy cat's ear is looking normal again.  My vet left me a message on Monday responding to the messages I had left her. She just acknowledged my reluctance to take Mazy in unless absolutely necessary and reiterated her reason for not dispensing the tresaderm without seeing her.  She was right anyway, since clearly Mazy cat did not need it.

I'm still not sure what possessed me to ask for it!

Yes, Mazy cat really has one of the Yummiest Tummies I've ever seen. So pretty with it's double row of dots, so plush and soft looking. But it is strictly off limits.  She knows I won't try to touch it, so she is very generous with showing it, now.  She wasn't always.

Tags: