Author Topic: What Is Going On With Lola?  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: What Is Going On With Lola?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 09:00:48 PM »
You're welcome.  So glad I was able to help a little.  Let me know what you decide to do..Maybe Rad cat chicken and the plain chicken breast, start the probiotic  back up and see how she does for a few days?

ACK, got to get to bed... goingtobed HeadButt

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »
There were no signs of diarrhea in the litter boxes today.  I have Lola locked in the room with me, so I can monitor her output.   She is sleeping in a chair right now.  At least she moved up from a corner on the floor. 

Mazy didn't have any diarrhea either that time.  Just the tummy upset. Yes a chair is definitely a good sign compared to a corner on the floor.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 09:12:42 PM »
Saying "Thank You" sounds so... not enough. 
Thank you for listening.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 06:35:41 AM »
Saying "Thank You" sounds so... not enough. 
Thank you for listening.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you...

HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt

You're welcome.  So glad I was on! Normally have this thing shut down by then.

How's our Lola the cat this morning?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 07:35:04 AM »
Lola ate Rad Cat chicken for her dinner.  I also gave her the probiotic. 
She continued to drink water on and off for an hour or so, after dinner. 
No water pools.
She didn't sleep in bed with me (her norm when I am home), but she didn't sleep in the corner either.  She went from the desk chair to the desk top, on and off all night. 
Sometime during the night, she left a good size urine clump in the litter box. 
She is scratching and grooming herself, more than normal.   
She ate a good breakfast.
A good sign (I'm thinking) is that she wanted out of the bedroom this morning. 
She played with me.  Has been running around the house like normal, watching the birds, etc. 

To explain my fears yesterday... I have had two cats that drank massive amounts of water and hid... and it didn't end well for them.  So, I had no idea if that kind of behavior COULD end well. 

Thanks AGAIN for babysitting me, MC.   HeadButt

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 07:36:42 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 07:52:39 AM »
Ah, good I was hoping for an update before I left this morning. I don't have a clue (seems I had an opinion after all)about the excess drinking, but my theory is that something in her feline brain is telling her if she fills her belly it will make it feel better. I've read that cats who feel nausea will sometimes act very hungry, because they mistake the sick tummy feeling for hunger pangs. So I wonder, if she was having a bad tum, she hoped the water would help, and then kept spitting the water back up. Now that the med is finally leaving her system she is no longer spitting it up and on her way to recovery.  And yes, I also think the delay in feeding may have sparked the cycle.  Hunger pangs and sick tummy all rolled into one.

Also, maybe on an instinctive level, the water drinking is a way to flush her system? That may be a bit far fetched but never underestimate an animal's ability to help herself!

Makes sense to me anyway.

by the way, didn't mean to dismiss your side comments about Lucky, and hesitating over the vet.  I completely understand that, and as you know I am the same way with Mazy.  It takes A LOT to cause me to take Mazy cat to the vet.

Some people I would advise the vet right away or "first thing in the morning" But people I know, like you, people whom I know they know what they are doing and how to read their pets, I am more wiling to wait it out with.

Gotta go! Hike today!

xxx

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 08:35:54 AM »
Another POSSIBLE piece to the puzzle...
She was fed Honest Kitchen yesterday.  First time in two weeks.  I am not dogging that brand.  I would recommend it over kibble for sure, and a lot of canned foods.  It isn't one of my favorites, and I had no plans to buy more.  But there is a lot more "stuff" in that brand, than what she is used to eating... homemade raw, Stella And Chewys, and Rad Cat. 

Your opinion concerning the reason for the water intake sounds totally possible!  I remember Leonard drinking loads of water AND eating odd things (sisal rope "shavings" and furballs floating around on the tile) when his tummy hurt. 

Because of different factors (different food, late feeding, etc.) I won't know for sure if what is going on with Lola, is a reaction to that particular antibiotic.  The odds of having a reaction two weeks later are slim, but possible...from what I have read. 

I didn't think you were dismissing my Lucky and Leonard comments.  I tend to include comments and/or extra details to jog forum members' memory (if needed) and so the general public (that could be reading) understands why I am not RUNNING to the vet. 

Any guesses or opinions you have are so much better (for Lola and for me) because YOU know me and YOU know Lola.  We can skip through a lot of the "likely" scenarios and/or tests that a vet would subject Lola to. 

ENJOY your hike today!!!!  A hike sounds so refreshing right now... and I don't hike.  lol 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »
Just a thought. Does Honest Kitchen have more sodium than their regular food? If so, that would make them thirsty & cause a lot of drinking.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »
I'm sorry to hear Lola-cat wasn't feeling well, but I'm glad MC's advice was helpful.  I totally agree with her -- give a probiotic at a different time than an antibiotic, but definitely give it while they are on an antibiotic, to try to replenish (even if temporarily) the good bacteria in their system.  This goes for humans, too.  It can help prevent diarrhea, or keep diarrhea from being worse.

I think MC also might be right about Lola drinking water to flush out her system.  Dee may have a point about the food having sodium, too.

I'm glad Lola seems to be feeling a bit better, and kudos to MC for her great input and advice!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
How's she doing now?

(thanks Pookie!  :-[)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 10:22:33 PM »
Honest Kitchen has all kinds of ingredients that haven't been the norm for our furkids in a long time.  However she has eaten it before, with no issues... just not within the last two weeks while taking the antibiotic.

I started giving her probiotics again yesterday.

She isn't totally back to her normal self, BUT she is much better.  She isn't hiding.  She is eating and is sociable.  She was having scratching and licking "fits" earlier today, but they seem to have slowed down now.

At this point, if I had to pull a guess out of my ear... something in the Honest Kitchen food didn't get along with the antibiotic.   :-\

Thank you everyone! 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 10:08:40 AM »
Maybe there's something in the Honest Kitchen that she's reacting to?  Since she hasn't gotten it in a while, and has been getting raw, her system may have had an issue with the "processed" canned food?   :-\  Probiotics are always a good idea, IMO.  I gave them to Pookie even when he wasn't on an antibiotic.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 10:09:01 PM »
Sorry to hear that Lola has been feeling unwell :( I hope the probiotics help.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 04:51:38 AM »
How is Lola doing now?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth