Author Topic: This has just made me sick all day  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
This has just made me sick all day
« on: May 13, 2016, 04:50:55 PM »
http://www.phillyvoice.com/katies-baby-preparing-my-fur-baby-my-infant/

The really sad part is, not just that the vet failed this 12 year old cat, this happens every day all over this country.

Hundreds of posts have been deleted by Phillyvoice over the course of the day, some were nasty, most were not. Many were educational.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: This has just made me sick all day
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »
I never declawed Lucy. She was born on a farm and I wasn’t sure if one day when I left Rittenhouse Square she would want to go outside again. I thought she would need her talons for play and protection. I thought declawing was cruel. But knowing we will soon bring an infant home meant we had to address Lucy and her claws.

And yet she had it done...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
Yes.  Hypocritical is the word.  Incidentally in the original article she named and linked the vet who did it. After the outrage started, the vet's name and link was removed from the article. They also (the vet clinic) took down their facebook page. I have a feeling the vet thought s/he was going to get a free plug.  It didn't turn out the way they expected though did it.

Even though I don't condone the nastier comments people made, I understand the rage and feeling of helplessness that compels people to make them.

Seriously, what kind of a vet agrees to something like this in the first place, you know?  I look at my Mazy cat, 12 years old, and want to burst into tears again over that Lucy kitty. The vet did no service to that cat or family, because now she wil bite.

And why didn't the vet expalin that adults are supposed to teach children how to behave around pets?

And you see her comment about research and Humane Society?  This is what the Humane Society says about declawing

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/declawing.html

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
I read the posts first and based on that, can't bring myself to read the links.  Sorry.  I just don't need to get depressed/angry these days.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »
I don't blame you at all, I should have added a warning anyway.  The Paw Project did, when they first put the post on their FB page. (provide a warning I mean)

By the way she claims the cat is "fine". Sure and the first time Lucy (cat) bites the baby, she'll be gone.

The baby isn't due until September.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »
The mom-to-be seemed to really try to do some research.  She already knew that declawing is cruel.  Who or what convinced her that it was the only solution?  And if she thinks the cat is fine... my stomach hurts.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 08:58:15 AM »
The mom-to-be seemed to really try to do some research.  She already knew that declawing is cruel.  Who or what convinced her that it was the only solution?  And if she thinks the cat is fine... my stomach hurts.

The vet of course. They have a laser machine and vets who buy lasers push declaws.  The clinic runs an ad for the laser and declawing when you are put on hold if you call the clinic.  I know this because Lori Shepler (City the Kitty) called there about declawing. She does this frequently in her fight against declawing, calls vets to ask questions about declawing. It's appalling, how commonly it is pushed still.  In spite of the growing list of vets who do not declaw.

http://www.pawproject.org/no-declaw-vets/

ETA what research?  She cites the HSUS as a source.  The Humane Society is adamantly and very clearly against declawing of cats for anything but a health complication, a CAT'S health complication.

And those pictures with her boobs hanging out are really going to embarrass her kid some day haha. Cheap shot I know,  maybe I'm just old fashioned but seriously, who DOES that?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 09:05:46 AM »

The vet of course. They have a laser machine and vets who buy lasers push declaws.  The clinic runs an ad for the laser and declawing when you are put on hold if you call the clinic.  I know this because Lori Shepler (City the Kitty) called there about declawing. She does this frequently in her fight against declawing, calls vets to ask questions about declawing. It's appalling, how commonly it is pushed still.  In spite of the growing list of vets who do not declaw.

http://www.pawproject.org/no-declaw-vets/

I figured it was her vet.  I was hoping it wasn't.  Thanks for the additional info. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 09:06:57 AM »
I edited my post with more of my opinion. :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 09:59:41 AM »
I just don't get it. Before I became allergic to them, none of my cats were made to lose their claws. I especially do NOT understand the reasoning here. If a cat can't protect itself with its claws, it's always got its mouth. I'm sure those canines could do just as much damage as claws.

So, what was the reasoning here? It just makes no sense to me. Did she have the cat's teeth all pulled out too?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 04:59:01 PM »
Before the article was edited:

If you have a pet at home, I recommend that you talk to experts and do some research about how to prepare your fur baby for your infant. Talking to Lucy’s veterinarian (http://www.kirkwoodvets.com) during the beginning of my pregnancy was incredibly helpful in making the decision to declaw her and in developing a game plan for introducing her to our son.