Author Topic: Hot topic in Albany NY  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Hot topic in Albany NY
« on: May 17, 2016, 07:29:41 PM »
In this link to the story you can vote against declawing:

http://www.whec.com/news/new-york-state-lawmakers-ponder-ban-declawing-cats/4140382/?cat=565

Please vote!

In this link you can join the discussion if you want, or just laugh at the one person posting in favor, and all his same old ridiculous arguments

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d79a9966ff6e4719aaab58030308023f/new-york-state-lawmakers-ponder-ban-declawing-cats#comment-2681143562

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Hot topic in Albany NY
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:57:59 PM »
 thumbsup1
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 12:03:25 AM »
DeeDee,
Could you get the first link to work? 
I'd ask MC, but if she got there once... she probably still has cookie access.  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:43:29 AM »
Yes. I got both links to work. Then I tweeted the first one. I didn't have to click on any ghosts or anything though they were on the page.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:43:14 PM »
Voted!

They say declawing is a decision best left to cat owners and veterinarians and not lawmakers.

While I normally would agree with that, as I don't like the government making decisions for me, in this case I have to disagree, because sadly, I doubt the owners get the full story from vets as to what the procedure actually involves, the consequences of the surgery to both cat and family, or suggestions on ways to deter the cat from scratching (like, LOTS of scratching posts and positive reinforcement).  And the veterinarians have a vested conflict of interest -- there's money to be made by suggesting it.

Yes, I'd love to believe all vets have the animal's best interest at heart.  But not all of them do.   :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »
Yes. I got both links to work. Then I tweeted the first one. I didn't have to click on any ghosts or anything though they were on the page.

I got the link to work today.  My internet speed was so slow, I didn't think it was going to make a connection.  Too many of using the internet at my house last night. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »

While I normally would agree with that, as I don't like the government making decisions for me, in this case I have to disagree, because sadly, I doubt the owners get the full story from vets as to what the procedure actually involves, the consequences of the surgery to both cat and family, or suggestions on ways to deter the cat from scratching (like, LOTS of scratching posts and positive reinforcement). 

thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Tags: