Author Topic: High carbs = Smelly poops!  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
High carbs = Smelly poops!
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
I'm starting to see the pattern now!  I am feeding a combination canned/raw diet to my girls. The status quo is approximately 50 percent raw (commercial and prey model) and 50 percent canned daily, with slight variations depending on the cat.

Most of the canned foods they eat are very low in carbohydrates, 2-3% max.  But there are three foods, I call their "McDonalds" that are very high, 22-23% carbohydrates if not higher.  I don't feed those three very often, but because I do believe in rotation, they still get them one or two meals a week.

And MAN, the next poops after they have had a high carb meal, PEE EWWW!

At first I didn't realize what was happening.  I just noticed every few days there would be a series of really stinky poops. I kept thinking, why are they having these smelly poops, when they are eating 50% raw?  It wasn't until I dropped those high carb food meals from every few days to once or twice a week, I finally started to notice the pattern.

I guess maybe I'll keep those meals to once a week now. I don't want to phase them out altogether, at least not yet, because I really do believe in keeping a variety of brands going, and these three, while high in carbs, do not have carrageenan or menadione bisulfates. Phew!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: High carbs = Smelly poops!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:25:37 PM »
Sorry about the stink.   ;D 
It seems low carbs OR carrageenan free.  Can't have both.  I've been leaning more towards lower carbs.  Still a variety of brands though.  We have a few that could be a bit more lean.  They probably would be, if I would stop dinking around with brands.  I need to stick to a system, so I know better as to what amounts to feed.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: High carbs = Smelly poops!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:01:56 AM »
When I was feeding all canned food, at one time I fed some holistic select, omc!! stinky poops after that, actually after eating Evo cat and kitten its stinky too.
Wilson has no Stinky poos, Shadow is still a Stinky poo most of the time, get my drift on who is being naughty!! mol!!  bangshead
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Tags: