Author Topic: Arrows & ACV  (Read 34924 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Arrows & ACV
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
We are back!  I'm ready for a nap.  I swear, taking human babies to the doctor was less worrisome.  lol
Blood work and urinalysis done... will know results on Monday.  I THINK I mentioned thyroid testing.   :-[  There was something he mentioned, that he wanted to add to the test, for a "few bucks more." It would eliminate a question he may have later.  I told him to add anything.  I'd rather pay for possibly unnecessary testing now, then have to put Arrows through another blood test later.
The physical part of check-up went very well.  Arrows looks to be in GREAT shape.  No obvious lumps.  Stomach lining didn't feel thickened. 
Assuming all test results come back good... the vet is leaning towards a food allergy, even if I haven't changed brands.  Something I forgot about, that he didn't ..companies changing ingredients or batches being different. 
He suggested (we are already doing it) keeping track of what he eats when, or just feed him one brand.  You all know the drill.  If that doesn't pinpoint a brand... Pepcid.
I don't think it was food barf, but... I haven't seen food barf in a VERY long time.  I was thinking food barf would be at least a little lumpy.  The vet didn't actually see, whatever it was, so he has only my explanation to go on.
At this point, cancer isn't on the table.  I did ask about an x-ray or .... darn... the other thing that is more accurate... to remove all doubt.  Vet talked me out of it... "One step at a time." 

He mentioned Lucky.  He believes she had IBD... the worst case he has ever seen.  I have to stop there...   :'(

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 06:39:10 PM »
Well thank goodness he's not just blowing your concerns off!

Honestly, IF I found the barf again, I'd get a plastic spoon, and scrape up as much as I could into a little glass jar--like a pizza sauce jar. Yes, I save several of those things JIC. I'm always saving "supplies" for just in cases.

Then if Arrows does it again, you can spoon the barf into the jar, and take it to the vet for him to look at. Our vet was used to me dragging things in there from Dannyboy after he started all the problems when I wanted to know something that didn't seem QUITE like an emergency, but might be. . .just in case.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
Funny that you mention it, because I was actually thinking of doing that.  Would refrigerating it, keep it close to its natural state? 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
Funny that you mention it, because I was actually thinking of doing that.  Would refrigerating it, keep it close to its natural state? 

I think I'd be wanting to get it to them within 24 hours no matter what I did with it. But yes, I'd refrigerate it just in case there are any bacteria in there. Don't want them growing and taking over.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »
I was thinking I would get it there, within 24 hours...so the vet could see for himself. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 09:01:38 PM »
I'm slime for being so RUDE.  Thank you all for the prayers, crossed paws, and positive vibes.  I SO appreciate ALL of you. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 07:30:05 AM »
Ultrasound?  Is that the word you are looking for?

Saving some of the vomit is a GREAT idea!

What do you mean rude?  I didn't see anywhere you were rude?

Love to you and Arrows and all the gang. Is there a story behind his name? I've always been curious about it.  Is it a play on Eros? Or does his fur patter have Arrows?  It's the 's' at the end that keeps me wondering...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »
Ultrasound?  Is that the word you are looking for?

Saving some of the vomit is a GREAT idea!

What do you mean rude?  I didn't see anywhere you were rude?

Love to you and Arrows and all the gang. Is there a story behind his name? I've always been curious about it.  Is it a play on Eros? Or does his fur patter have Arrows?  It's the 's' at the end that keeps me wondering...

Ultrasound... that was it.  It just wouldn't come to mind, and I didn't care enough to think harder.  lol
I meant I was rude for not thanking everyone for their help and kindness.   ;D
Eros was his original name.  His FIRST mom, that dumped him, gave him that name.  I didn't like the name.  That is the only name he knew for 5-6 years, before joining our family.  So I went with a rhyme-y name, as to not confuse him.  I sing him the song "Me And My Arrow" all the time.  He loves it.   Silly7

No new liquid "piles."  We have rotated through all the foods... same batches as well.  Normally, that would be a good thing.... except it pretty much blows the food allergy theory. 
If it had only been once (and looked like food), I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought. 

It is possible the years of being fed dry, are catching up to him now that he is older. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 08:32:47 PM »
I'm having a blank moment, here, but I'm thinking regurgitated food tends to be smoother than vomited food, which has been in the tummy longer.  But I could have that backwards.

I'm wondering if he ate a bug or something (when outside?) that didn't agree with him, and it just took a couple of tries before his body got rid of it and now he's fine.  Total speculation on my part.  And I'm reaaaaallllly hoping you can avoid the pepcid.

Assuming all test results come back good... the vet is leaning towards a food allergy, even if I haven't changed brands.  Something I forgot about, that he didn't ..companies changing ingredients or batches being different. 

I completely forgot about that.   :-[  But if he hasn't had any problems since, then maybe it was a 1-time thing that he ate (that maybe he shouldn't have eaten) that didn't agree with him.  fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »
I'm having a blank moment, here, but I'm thinking regurgitated food tends to be smoother than vomited food, which has been in the tummy longer.  But I could have that backwards.

I'm wondering if he ate a bug or something (when outside?) that didn't agree with him, and it just took a couple of tries before his body got rid of it and now he's fine.  Total speculation on my part.  And I'm reaaaaallllly hoping you can avoid the pepcid.

I completely forgot about that.   :-[  But if he hasn't had any problems since, then maybe it was a 1-time thing that he ate (that maybe he shouldn't have eaten) that didn't agree with him.  fingerscrossed

That is what has me a bit nervous... it wasnt a one time thing.  He has done it several times... about once a week, for 4 or 5 weeks.  It took me a while to figure out WHO was doing it... I was never at home, at the time.  One day he came running into the room, and .... well, I figured it out.  :) 
In general, we don't have a lot of bugs.    The no-see-ums seem to hang out only in the thick grass. Lizards only come out, after dark.  The enclosure is closed off before dark.  There may be other bugs that I am not aware of. 
He has been re-fed (new word) all the foods in the cupboard... since the last episode, on Monday.  All the foods are the same cases/batches.
I don't use any chemicals.  I even limit vinegar use, on the floors, to once a week.  Hey, maybe THAT is it.  Once a week "barfing," and washing floors with vinegar. 
Hopefully, I will know more on Monday.  Actually, I am kinda hoping I won't.  Meaning nothing bad showing up on his blood work.  Especially, if it stops. 
If I had to pull a guess out of my ear :) (and thinking of Lucky's demise) I would say he probably has SOME stomach issues, from dry feeding days.  As they age, their stomachs get more sensitive.
Why are you hoping no Pepcid?  What do I need to know about Pepcid?  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:36:29 AM by Lola, Reason: speeling ;) »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
Long term use of pepcid can lead to constipation and Vitamin B depletion.  That I know from my own reading, and from Pookie.  What my vet told me is it (long term use)can cause the stomach to become too alkaline.

But it definitely has it's place in cat care.  Mazy was on it in a pulse method, two weeks on, two weeks off, for about two years. I didn't really see any difference in her patterns. Then about 6 months ago,  when I put her on it for the next round, two days in a row she regurgitated the dose (and meal that went with it of course) so I decided that was her body's way of saying the pepcid was not helping her.

(It can however help cats with diseases like CKD)

I think Pookie hit the nail on the head when she suggested Mazy's problem was lack of acid rather than too much.  I think the ACV is helping her a LOT.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »
I'm soooooooo not "into" meds, if at all possible.  But...Roxy takes 1/2 of of a 10mg a day.  She is the reason we went to 3 meals a day, instead of two.  Beef was also a trigger.  I don't feed anything that uses the word "beef."  One of the reasons I am often hesitant to feed something, other than chicken and turkey.  Those are two proteins she had the least amount of trouble with.  3 meals and no beef, helped a LOT, but didn't completely stop the regurgitating.  The Pepcid completely stops the regurgitating and projectile vomiting. 
I hate to mess with something that isn't "broke," but you have also given me something to think about.

I don't know the exact history, for most of our cats... before they joined the family.  The one thing they all have in common is... kibble. 

Offline TesterDawg

• Yapper
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »
"All of Arrows' tests were remarkably normal." 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 01:22:17 PM »
^^^^^
Sorry... forgot I was doing some testing with that ID. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »
I know I can be a worry wart, but I also know I missed some pretttttty crucial signs before.  I just don't want any repeated mistakes.  My furkids, like all of yours, are my family.  They aren't a plant...or something that can be replaced or forgotten.
I'm glad his tests were normal.  I know tests don't show everything.  I am relieved... sorta. 
I just can't imagine what would cause him to regurgitate... once a week, for several weeks. 
The vet had no suggestions, other than to move on.  Not his exact words.  Should I chalk it up to something that can't be explained... as long as it isn't continuing?