Author Topic: Purevax now has a non-adjuvanted THREE YEAR rabies vaccine  (Read 5086 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Purevax now has a non-adjuvanted THREE YEAR rabies vaccine
« on: April 27, 2015, 05:09:29 PM »
This is very big news.  I am disappointed my vet did not already know this, since the dateline is July 2014 and I have seen her 3 times since them.

http://www.merial.com/EN/PressRoom/PressRelease/Pages/Merial-Introduces-PUREVAX%C2%AE-Feline-Rabies-3-YR-Vaccine.aspx

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Purevax now has a non-adjuvanted THREE YEAR rabies vaccine
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:44:59 PM »
Interesting!

I remember reading, a few years ago, that the 1-year vaccine actually was good for 3 years, but wasn't approved by the FDA for 3 year use because, if I remember correctly, not enough cats died in the clinical trial.  I guess they did more trials.  How much do you want to bet it's actually effective beyond 3 years?

Anyway, here's the press release:

http://www.merial.com/EN/PressRoom/PressRelease/Pages/Merial-Introduces-PUREVAX%C2%AE-Feline-Rabies-3-YR-Vaccine.aspx
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline TFKblog

• Tails from the Foster Kittens
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 04:56:11 PM »
and it costs three times as much - even though I'm pretty sure it is exactly the same thing

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 06:09:27 PM »
Actually, if that's the case, the cost evens out to the same. :) 

But you know what?  I don't care. If it means my cats only have to be vaccinated once every three years I'm willing to pay for it.

I'll be asking my vet about it when I am in with Mazy cat for her six month check up next month.

PS Welcome TFKblog!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 06:14:09 PM »
and it costs three times as much - even though I'm pretty sure it is exactly the same thing

It probably is.  My guess is the manufacturer did another clinical trial to obtain 3 year approval.  They had tried before but, if I remember correctly, not enough cats died so they didn't  get the 3 year approval.

There is no difference between the regular (non-PureVax) 1 year and 3 year vaccine -- they are the same, just approved for 1 year and 3 year "efficacy."  (In dogs, they've already found the regular rabies vaccine is effective for at least 5 years.  Check out the Rabies Challenge Fund for more info)

I'd be willing to pay the higher cost if it meant I didn't have to do a yearly vaccination, esp. since they're effective longer than the approved length of time.  I don't like hitting the immune system that often.  Even 3 years is too often, IMO.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:15:46 PM by Pookie »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »
From Little Big Cat (http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/vaccination/)

Killed rabies vaccines are labeled for either 1 or 3 years; but the vaccine in the bottle is exactly the same in both cases. Giving a 3-year vaccine every year puts your pet at even greater risk for an adverse reaction. If your pet receives a killed rabies vaccine, be certain that it is labeled for 3 years. For cats, there is a safer vaccine: Purevax, by Merial, is a recombinant vector vaccine that does not induce the inflammation that occurs with killed, adjuvanted vaccines. If your vet clinic does not carry it, ask if they will order it, or try to find one who does. It’s worth it.

And it's important to note:

If your pet has a chronic disease or is for any reason not completely healthy, it should NOT be vaccinated. All vaccines carry a label that states “for use in healthy animals only.” Many jurisdictions will accept an exemption letter from your veterinarian attesting to the fact that your pet is at high risk and cannot be vaccinated.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 07:55:22 PM »

And it's important to note:

If your pet has a chronic disease or is for any reason not completely healthy, it should NOT be vaccinated. All vaccines carry a label that states “for use in healthy animals only.” Many jurisdictions will accept an exemption letter from your veterinarian attesting to the fact that your pet is at high risk and cannot be vaccinated.

Yeah. They tried to tell me at the desk last month when Vlad got his tummy-upset that the rabies vaccine was okay as long as he was NOT running fever. (Yeah. They're running over 2 years now on a 1-year vaccine.) I just said, "I don't believe that's what those package inserts say."

I had a vet agreeing with me about wanting the 3-year vaccines, then what he agreed with me about changed by 6 months later, and no one here in any of the vets' offices in this county will get the 3-year vaccines.

When I DO find time to take them, they'll be going to Nashville for a 3-year one. We can't find a chance to go anywhere with my parental situation anyway. So they're not going traveling anywhere besides around here. Who's going to ask to see a recent tag?

I found this office (41 minutes-33 miles) that has it that isn't as far away as the holistic vet: https://www.caudlevetclinic.com/pet-vaccinations.html
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »

Yeah. They tried to tell me at the desk last month when Vlad got his tummy-upset that the rabies vaccine was okay as long as he was NOT running fever. (Yeah. They're running over 2 years now on a 1-year vaccine.) I just said, "I don't believe that's what those package inserts say."

thumbsup1  You GO girl!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1  And I bet if you had them titered, they'd still be covered, since the 3 year is the same as the 1 year, just approved for a longer time period.

As for the vet who changed his mind . . .  bangshead

That clinic states they have the 3 year, but they don't say if it's the PureVax or the adjuvanted vaccine.  If you want the PureVax, you may want to check with them ahead of time before you take the boys there.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:19:01 AM by Pookie »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 10:17:08 AM »

That clinic states they have the 3 year, but they don't say if it's the PureVax or the adjuvanted vaccine.  If you want the PureVax, you may want to check with them ahead of time before you take the boys there.

I thought Purvax was just for cats? Do they have a dog version now?

I just wanted to make sure everyone understood that you CAN tell them, "No," (if you think it isn't a good idea) without getting struck by lightning.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:05:07 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 11:18:08 AM »
I thought Purvax was just for cats? Do they have a dog version now?

Well rats!  You're right!  I thought they had it for both, but in searching, I didn't find an approved non-adjuvant rabies vaccine for dogs.   :(  That bites the big one!

In searching, I found this article from 2011 on Dr. Becker's site:    http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/06/21/expert-proof-most-pets-are-vaccinated-way-too-often.aspx

I asked Dr. Schultz if the 1 and 3-year rabies vaccine products are the same. His opinion is most of them are. There is also a 1-year feline rabies vaccine that has no adjuvant, but there is not at this time a similar 3-year product.

I asked Dr. Schultz why there isn't a 3-year non-adjuvanted product. His answer is the adjuvant-free 1-year feline rabies vaccine is new technology. It is a recombinant vaccine that is similar in nature to a modified live vaccine, but there's no live rabies in it. The cat's immune system sees this vaccine as live. The company that developed the adjuvant-free 1-year vaccine did studies that showed vaccinated cats were still protected 100 percent from rabies 3 years later.

However, a problem in the control (non-vaccinated) group of cats (not enough of them died) prevented the USDA from issuing a 3-year license for the vaccine. In a second round of studies, even fewer non-vaccinated cats died, so again, the USDA refused to issue a 3-year license for the product. 

Tags: