Author Topic: Coconut Oil  (Read 10503 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Coconut Oil
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
I've ordered the Nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil to try for hair balls.  I like that it can be given with (or without food).  I like that it's not full of junk like hair ball remedies are.

I asked my vet about using straight vaseline and she was against it.  Even after I pointed out that it's the same thing that is in the hair ball remedies, she maintained that vaseline is not meant to be eaten and she would not feed it to any cat.

But..I HATE giving them the laxatone, petromalt and cat lax, and they hate getting it.  I hope they like the coconut oil.  I've read such glowing things about the health benefits, and usually I am very skeptical of things that have such a "cure all" reputation. But I have just had enough of this hair ball gunk.

Thing is, I'm going to have to cut back on the hair ball gunk gradually, as I do this time of year anyway.  So, if someone who uses coconut oil would please post how much to give and how often, I would appreciate it.

If it turns out to be a good thing, I guess I'll be including a tube of laxatone in gift packages to my friends who have cats this year, since I tend to stock up.  LOL!

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »
I give it to my cats, same brand. I have posted about this on here somewhere before.
You can just give them a few licks off your finger every day for a week, then a few times a week thereafter.
Here is a link about it.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Nutiva-Organic-Coconut-Oil-Dog-Cat-Supplement/255005.aspx
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:27:54 AM »
Thanks Shadow.  It may have been a post from you who got me thinking about it in the first place.  I bought that same brand but I got it at Amazon for half the price, plus free shipping, since I signed up for auto-ship. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-15-Ounce/dp/B001EO5Q64/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_1

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
Thanks Shadow.  It may have been a post from you who got me thinking about it in the first place.  I bought that same brand but I got it at Amazon for half the price, plus free shipping, since I signed up for auto-ship. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-15-Ounce/dp/B001EO5Q64/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_1

Yes it was probably me, I did not get mine from this site, I got it at my local health food store for only 10$ :)
I use it on my skin and hair too. :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »
Hmmm product looks interesting. 

We only have one feline that horks up hair balls from time to time.  It seems to be just a few months out of the year.  Are there certain times of the year that are more hair ball-ish?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »
Shedding season where I live is from March through October.  But my senior boy gets very sick from ingested hair.  He always has, but the illnesses are getting more frequent, in spite of my efforts, as he ages.  I suspect a motility issue but he can't take cisapride because he takes phenobarbital for seizures.

His fur is so fine, it just seems to build up and coat his insides.  Then he gets diarrhea, inappetence and vomiting for several days until he finally passes all the fur.  When he starts to pass it, it comes out in long flat mats, that's how I know it's in there coating his guts.

He has liver damage from the phenobarbital, and I am just hating having to put this hair ball stuff in him every other day.  It's so full of icky things, you know? He's been getting these episodes most of his life, but they've progressed from two or three times a year to every five weeks, and now, as of today, only four weeks have passed since the last episode.  I know how to take care of him, when he stops eating he gets large doses of the laxatone three or four times a day, and sub q fluids to keep him hydrated, until he passes the stuff and starts eating again.

I keep thinking I am resigned to these illnesses of his, but it takes it's toll not just on him, but on me too. Not just the worry over him either, but the work involved. Cleaning the carpets, because of vomit and tracked diarrhea, the constant cleaning of the litter boxes, giving him the sub q fluids, (which he does not allow willingly) worry worry worry. I'm not complaining, I don't begrudge the work, though it is hard on me, it is what it is, but if I can find a way to make it easier on me, and on him,  I could use the respite.

All the hair ball stuff has artificial things in it. For a healthy cat, maybe not a big deal, but for him, it can't be good. And he hates it. He's a lamb about taking it, but oh how he hates it.

I am pinning a lot of hope on the coconut oil.

I'm paying $14.71 for a two pack, (15 oz jars) no shipping fees or tax,  so I think that's a pretty good price. :)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »
Hi MC!

Have you considered giving him canned pumpkin?  For some reason, Pookie had a LOT of hairballs this year, despite getting combed every night, and since I don't like the products out there, I started giving him about a teaspoon-tablespoon of canned pumpkin every night and it really helped move things along.  I kept waiting for Pookie to decide he didn't like the stuff, but he kept eating it, so I kept doing it.  Now that it's cooled off here in the Northeast, and he's not shedding nearly as much, I haven't been giving it to him and ((knocks wood)) he's been fine.

Just a suggestion.   grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
Thanks Pookie.  Pumpkin has long since been rejected in this house. :)  Coconut oil is my last hope.  Poor boy he's so sick tonight, he wasn't even able to keep the laxatone down.

The good news is, he isn't hiding away in his Safe/Sick Spot.  He's found a warm corner here in the living area (I turned the heat on tonight, as it is a cold wet night) where he can see and be seen.  He likes me to know how pitiful he is, when he's feeling poorly, but not really really bad.  If he's really really bad he hides away in his Sick Spot under my bed. I'll have to try again with the laxatone again later tonight.  And Sub q fluids.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
Hi MC!

I was searching for something else but found this and thought you might find it helpful.  I don't know if you've tried the Slippery Elm but maybe that would help?  As for the rest, I only skimmed through it but it also mentions Laxatone which you're already using.

http://www.facekitty.com/2009/03/home-remedies-for-hairballs-in.html

Sending hugs and purrs that things improve!   grouphug grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
 Thanks for the link Pookie.  I read the article.  I was so shocked that some people advise putting a human hair conditioner on cats.  What are people thinking?  I don't even like to use hand lotion around my cats. What goes on the cat goes in the cat.  Sheesh!

I've heard of using slippery elm for constipation problems in cats, which is not my boy's problem.  I do have one, possibly two with some constipation issues (one has always had, the other, my c/d eater, is recently starting to have trouble in that area) but the coconut oil supposedly is good for that too.

I'm also rethinking my grooming tools.  I used a regular comb for years, then switched to a furminator knock off, but I've read of so many people who now use the zoo groom, I'm going to get one and see how it goes over.

My main goal is cutting down on the amount of hair ball remedy the cats have to take, especially my senior boy, if not eliminating it altogether.  I still don't know if the coconut oil should be given every day..or how it's going to work for them.

The coconut oil, so I've read is good for me too, and can be used as a hand lotion, so now I will be able to put lotion on my hands at home!  bananamiddlechild

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 09:01:35 AM »
My vet had some concerns about the coconut oil. 

She found two references., not to coconut oil specifically, but to medium chain fatty acids/triglycerides. What she found out is that cats should NOT have medium chain fatty acids. I did exhaustive searches before starting the coconut oil, but never used just the right terms to bring up what my vet found. Well her findings were from veterinarian websites that I did not have access to.

So do not use coconut oil for hairballs in cats.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 02:07:09 AM »
My vet had some concerns about the coconut oil. 

She found two references., not to coconut oil specifically, but to medium chain fatty acids/triglycerides. What she found out is that cats should NOT have medium chain fatty acids. I did exhaustive searches before starting the coconut oil, but never used just the right terms to bring up what my vet found. Well her findings were from veterinarian websites that I did not have access to.

So do not use coconut oil for hairballs in cats.

Do you have the links for that??

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 07:05:35 AM »
It's a vet only site www.vin.com

I took a picture of the page she gave me see the section that says contraindications.  Also down at the bottm under dosages "do not use in cats"

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 07:13:12 AM »
PS I think the other site she used was the UC Davis University Vet site.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »
Im going to look into this more, thanks for the photocopies :)

Tags: