Author Topic: Bring dogs inside when temps reach 90 degrees – it’s the law  (Read 4052 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A new addition to the Indianapolis Animal Care and Treatment Ordinance defines the extreme low and high temperatures at which point dog owners must bring their dog inside a temperature controlled facility.

The new rules were added to the Care and Treatment of Animals ordinance in September 2015, and this is the first summer they are in effect.

According to the ordinance, it is now required by law to provide your dog with shelter when the temperature reaches 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and you must bring your dog inside when it’s warmer than 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

http://fox59.com/2016/05/31/bring-dogs-inside-when-temps-reach-90-degrees-its-the-law/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Bring dogs inside when temps reach 90 degrees – it’s the law
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 05:12:22 PM »
It is sad that there has to be laws... 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 05:42:34 PM »
It is sad that there has to be laws... 

There's no common sense anymore, so we have to protect the stupid from themselves, and we have to protect any under their care from their stupidity too.

Oh well, OSHA and the stupid keep people like electricians and electrical engineers in jobs, so I guess there's at least one good side, huh?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:42:40 AM »
It is pretty darn hot in my area.  Lacy THINKS she wants to go outside... until I open the door.  She can't turn back around fast enough! 
Needless to say, we aren't going on any walks these days. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 11:07:26 AM »
It is pretty darn hot in my area.  Lacy THINKS she wants to go outside... until I open the door.  She can't turn back around fast enough! 
Needless to say, we aren't going on any walks these days. 

Make Lacy some popsicle sticks like I've been doing. Take a piece of celery (or carrot) or anything else that makes an edible stick that the dog likes. Stick it into the popsicle mold, then fill with some kind of meat broth & freeze. V&B have been loving them, and I don't have to worry about trying to make them eat around plastic, mold-sticks.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »
That's a great idea!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 11:52:06 PM »
Lacy doesn't like the blasting heat.  I have no desire to coax her into staying outside, as I don't like it either.  lol 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 12:01:07 AM »
I have no desire to coax her into staying outside, as I don't like it either.  lol 

LOL. I don't like it either, but they HAVE to go out sometime, so I give them something to help cool down once we're back. They MIGHT stay out 5 minutes at a time right now. Evenings haven't been so bad at all the past few days though thanks to the storms we keep on getting every evening.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 12:29:19 PM »
LOL. I don't like it either, but they HAVE to go out sometime, so I give them something to help cool down once we're back. They MIGHT stay out 5 minutes at a time right now. Evenings haven't been so bad at all the past few days though thanks to the storms we keep on getting every evening.

Oh okay... I get what you are saying.  Dopey me...

Offline BeckPo

• Yapper
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:52:03 PM »
90 degrees isn't really that hot... my dogs prefer to stay outside at that temperature. As long as they have a shady spot under a nice big tree and some ice cold water. I let them come inside whenever they want, but usually I need to force them to come inside  :-*

These kind of situations really depend on so many things. Leaving your husky outside when it's 90 degrees is dangerous, but leaving your poodle outside with a short summer cut isn't really that big of deal. This is only valid when you've got lots of shade and grass in your yard, otherwise you need to let the dogs in for sure!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 05:13:12 AM »
What really upsets me is seeing people walk their dogs in the city or road side when it's so hot.  You can tell their paws hurt, while the human just jogs (jogging!) or walks on oblivious. Not even offering the dog a drink.  It really infuriates me.

One time, I think it was last summer I was coming back from the PO (working) and I was behind this woman who kept jerking her small dog off the grass verge back onto the sidewalk.  I finally caught up to her and said your dog is walking on the grass because the sidewalk is burning her feet.  The woman stared at me uncomprehending.  I said again the sidewalk is burning your dog's feet, that's why she wants to walk on the grass.

Three times, this summer when I observed people  ignoring their dogs' needs I approached and said "your dog needs water". One was a black old lab, the young woman was running, dragging him along on his leash! Another was, again a black dog, just a puppy and the two women were walking and yakking away, ignoring the puppy who could barely walk the little one was so hot. The third was a group of people just standing in the middle of the sidewalk, you know hoe people do and the dog kept lifting his feet, one at a time off the sidewalk and panting panting.  Gawd it broke my heart.  They were kind of scary looking people but I couldn't stand it I had to approach and point out to them that the dog was in distress.

I really don't understand how people can be so clueless.  I really don't understand it.

Offline BeckPo

• Yapper
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 02:53:43 PM »
That's terrible! If you cannot comfortably leave your palm on the ground, it's way too hot for your dog's paw!

Thank you for speaking up and helping these poor dogs  :-*

I wish they would pass a law which requires humans to take an exam before owning any animal with big fines if you skip the exam. This would probably help our shelters so much.

Tags: