Author Topic: Tiki Cat  (Read 17992 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Tiki Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »
I just gave Pookie a can of the chicken and egg today for the first time.  He doesn't seem to care for the egg, and I'm having to put a topper on it to get him to eat it.   :(  I was SO hoping he'd like it so I could add it to the rotation.  My specialty store will be carrying it soon, so that would make things easier.  The store where I bought this flavor only had the fishy flavors and this.

For the next 1-2 weeks, my plan is to give him food without carageenan.  His bottom lip, on both sides, tends to look like it's curling inside out, and some days are worse than others (some foods I give him have carageenan, some [Instinct] don't).  I'm suspecting the carageenan may be the problem, so we'll see how this goes.  But trying to find a canned food without that stuff is NOT easy, and I'd prefer to not be dependent on just 1 brand.   :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 09:12:29 PM »
Hey, thanks for reminding me!  I'm going to check with that store I found who said they will get the Rad Cat in for me, and see if they might be able to order some Tiki Cat, the chicken only.  Still though...it does annoy me, I thinki Tiki WAY over charges for their food, and the names of the food are impossible.  So....maybe not.

Yes, finding foods without carrageenan is hard, especially if you have other ingredients on the black list, as I have many, LOL. I've learned to compromise on some things, since I DO feed a rotation of forms of food and brands, but not on carrageenan. I think we have a thread here with lists of carrageenan free foods.

That is interesting about Pookie's lip and the possible connection to carrageenan.  Keep us posted on that. My last girl who was eating carrageen foods is doing SO MUCH better now.  I slipped and gave her some Merrick before grain the other day, and wouldn't you know the next day she was scooting across my bed sheets.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 09:22:03 PM »
My last girl who was eating carrageen foods is doing SO MUCH better now.  I slipped and gave her some Merrick before grain the other day, and wouldn't you know the next day she was scooting across my bed sheets.

I'm so sorry, but I have to  funny2.  That'll teach you!   :D

Thanks for reminding ME about the carageenan thread.  I totally forgot about that!  *sigh* I just wish he wasn't so darned picky . . .

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 04:38:58 PM »
Quick update about Tiki Cat:

Duck, Beef, and Turkey varieties will hit stores in the fall.

Also, the Fish/Seafood in Tiki cat MIGHT actually be okay to feed, since it is in deboned cutlets. Most fish catfood contains the bones, which is where the magnesium and other problematic minerals come from. Tiki supposedly is low enough in phosphorus/magnesium that even the fish flavors can "safely" be fed to kidney kitties. Tiki cat is manufactured and canned in a human food facility alongside food intended for human consumption. The cans do not contain BPA, BPF, BADGE, BFDGE or NOGE in the lining. Each batch is tested for quality before being shipped out, and if you email them they happily hand over the test results without batting an eye.

I bit the bullet and purchased some as emergency food for Amber. I also got a case (8 6oz cans) for my Mom's Kitty to give him a break from the Hound & Gatos. I wish I could afford to feed him Tiki exclusively, but it is very expensive (which I understand, given the quality) and until the other flavors hit the shelves, would not give enough variety because I haven't done enough research to be convinced the fish flavors are REALLY okay, especially for a boy cat.

Oh, and one more thing people should know:
Bora Bora Luau, Hanalei Luau, Tahitian Grill & Makaha Luau are labeled for supplemental feeding only because they do not meet AAFCO's K3 requirements. The other flavors do meet the requirements. Petropics changed the label on those varieties rather than add menadione to the food.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »
Thanks, Amber!   :-* :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 01:56:22 AM »
Thanks for the info, Amber!!! 
I can only remember two reasons why I don't feed it... 1.  Too many fishy flavors and 2.  The price.  YOWSIERS. 
If I just had one or two cats... maybe. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 07:11:27 AM »
My biggest gripe aside from the price is the names of the foods. It's just too darn confusing to purchase, when you don't know what a food is.  Call it chicken or beef, for crying out loud. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 08:25:38 AM »
Well well.  I see when I first posted in this thread I mentioned I had ordered some cans of this from a website that had a sale and shipping promo going.

Well they sent me the wrong thing, (a fish flavor) so I never used it.  Long story short I got my money back because even though they do insist it was my mistake ordering the wrong product, the CSR I was dealing with was so rude to me her partner gave me a refund. (it's a very small on line retail store)

ANYway fast forward to now, and my worry about TC's weight gain, took her to the vet for blood work, and her cholesterol is high (so is SK's)  I can't cut her food back any more, she is already eating ONLY 3.3 ounces of food a day (canned and raw)

So in desperation I decided to try again on the Tiki, because it is extremely low in fat (and no carbs) She will be the only one eating it because the other two have always had issues with foods made in Thailand.

They have two chicken varieties now, I ordered some of each. I still think the price is outrageous but I console myself that the Tiki can be TC's version of Rad Cat.

Anyway I opened my first can of Tiki cat this morning.  I am not impressed.  It SMELLS LIKE FISH.  Supposedly, other than "fish oil" (and the type not identified) there is no fish in it.

Not to mention on the top of the can the food looks "fresh", but on the bottom it looks nasty.

But I so need her to have one low fat food in the rotation, I guess I will persevere. At one can a week, what I bought will last half a year, anyway.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
How is it that SK and TC have gained weight, and have high cholesterol numbers, with what you feed? 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »
The vet is not concerned with the high cholesterol, and I've read some pages that say it isn't a big concern in cats.

The weight gain:  I've come to the conclusion that they are getting too much fat, and perhaps not enough exercise.  It's been hot and I have been under a lot of stress, lame excuses, but at 7 1/2 and 9, they need more incentive to run and play.

The fat....the By Nature Organic canned is 27% fat on a dry matter basis. With the improved nutrition from the raw, if they are going to eat high fat canned food, they are going to need less of it.  Raw fed cats can be too heavy, if they get too much and not enough exercise.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »
After I buy 100 cases, you tell me it is high in fat.  lol

Thanks for the cholesterol info.  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
LOL Lola, well I wouldn't say the By Nature Organic is "high fat" certainly not higher than many other comparable brands and lower than quite a few (based on Dr Pierson's list).

The reason it became a problem for TC is the raw portions of her daily diet are so much more 'bio-available' that she ends up needing less food altogether, unless I reduce the amount of fat she is getting over all. So I am hoping the Tiki Cat can do that for her, so she can have a bit more to eat every day than 3.3 ounces.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 03:17:46 PM »
MC, Hi,
How is the TikiCat working out? Is it stil looking nasty @ the bottom?

And did you try the chicken, and/or the chicken with the egg one?   
I looked just now and didn't see any beef or new flavors yet, but will keep an eye out (? later in the Fall)  Crossing fingers for duck... do you like any other foods with duck?  Don't wanna go with any fish. 
I can't go raw (not my cat :>(

Thanks

Well well.  I see when I first posted in this thread I mentioned I had ordered some cans of this from a website that had a sale and shipping promo going.

Well they sent me the wrong thing, (a fish flavor) so I never used it.  Long story short I got my money back because even though they do insist it was my mistake ordering the wrong product, the CSR I was dealing with was so rude to me her partner gave me a refund. (it's a very small on line retail store)

ANYway fast forward to now, and my worry about TC's weight gain, took her to the vet for blood work, and her cholesterol is high (so is SK's)  I can't cut her food back any more, she is already eating ONLY 3.3 ounces of food a day (canned and raw)

So in desperation I decided to try again on the Tiki, because it is extremely low in fat (and no carbs) She will be the only one eating it because the other two have always had issues with foods made in Thailand.

They have two chicken varieties now, I ordered some of each. I still think the price is outrageous but I console myself that the Tiki can be TC's version of Rad Cat.

Anyway I opened my first can of Tiki cat this morning.  I am not impressed.  It SMELLS LIKE FISH.  Supposedly, other than "fish oil" (and the type not identified) there is no fish in it.

Not to mention on the top of the can the food looks "fresh", but on the bottom it looks nasty.

But I so need her to have one low fat food in the rotation, I guess I will persevere. At one can a week, what I bought will last half a year, anyway.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
CC:  keybor is broken (some letters not working) will reply when I pick up n externl keybor this weeken.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 11:57:28 PM »
thanks MC  :)