Author Topic: Bandit has a hot spot! :(  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Bandit has a hot spot! :(
« on: January 31, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
At least, it looks like a hot spot.  I just found it.  I cleaned the spot, and used some stuff called Magic Skin that I got from our old vet for Mouse when she had some skin issues.  I am going to try to take care of this myself, but if it doesn't start to improve in a day or two, he will have to go to the vet.  I dread this, because I worry that he will blame the raw diet.

He does have a habit of scratching his back on the underside of one of our chairs.  Is it possible that he just rubbed a raw place?  I haven't seen any signs of fleas, but I guess it might be time to put some Advantage on him, just in case, but I can't do it until this spot heals up, as it is too close to the application site.   

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Bandit has a hot spot! :(
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »
  I dread this, because I worry that he will blame the raw diet.

Unless specifically asked, there's no reason to tell that he's on a raw diet. A lot of vets never think to ask if you've changed a diet. In our case, it wasn't a change for Vlad. He was weaned on raw. Barkly was a change-over, after a year, when we got Vlad.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »
Unless specifically asked, there's no reason to tell that he's on a raw diet.

And if you are asked, you can just answer that he's on an "all-wet" diet.  It is wet (it's certainly not dry), and unless they're REALLY well-educated, they'll assume it's canned.

As for the hot spot, there's something called Vetericyn that I can get at the Tractor Supply, but I never used it so I don't know how well it works.  There's one specifically for hot spots.  It is possible that he's rubbing that area along some furniture, like you mentioned.  If you can, try to keep an eye on him when he's in that room with the chair and watch when he goes under it to see if he's rubbing that area.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »

As for the hot spot, there's something called Vetericyn that I can get at the Tractor Supply, but I never used it so I don't know how well it works.  There's one specifically for hot spots.  It is possible that he's rubbing that area along some furniture, like you mentioned.  If you can, try to keep an eye on him when he's in that room with the chair and watch when he goes under it to see if he's rubbing that area.

Vetericyn is supposed to be some amazing stuff. They've got it for ears, hot spots, and other conditions. I've never used it though. I wish they'd had it around when I had Dannyboy and was going through all his issues while we figured out his food allergies.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 01:41:46 AM »
And if you are asked, you can just answer that he's on an "all-wet" diet.  It is wet (it's certainly not dry), and unless they're REALLY well-educated, they'll assume it's canned.

I know for a fact he's rubbing that area.  He's rubbing his whole back, and this is high on his back, just a bit to the right of what you would call the withers on a horse. 

Vetericyn is supposed to be some amazing stuff. They've got it for ears, hot spots, and other conditions. I've never used it though. I wish they'd had it around when I had Dannyboy and was going through all his issues while we figured out his food allergies.

I will try the Vetericyn if the stuff I have does not clear it up in a day or two.  We have a Tractor Supply nearby. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:50:42 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 08:00:43 AM »
I will try the Vetericyn if the stuff I have does not clear it up in a day or two.  We have a Tractor Supply nearby. 

If it comes to that, you might want to call Tractor Supply first.  I haven't bought it in a while, so I'm not 100% sure if they still carry it.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
If it comes to that, you might want to call Tractor Supply first.  I haven't bought it in a while, so I'm not 100% sure if they still carry it.

It's literally on the way to every other store we use, it's no problem to just stop in next time we go grocery shopping.  Honestly, I don't expect to need it.  Magic Skin is pretty good stuff, and I'm going to give it a couple more days to work.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:03:59 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »
Are you absolutely positive it is a hotspot?  I ONLY ask because a vet tech thought our Lacy dog had a hot spot, but it was likely a food allergy... per a pro raw vet.  Lacy was totally not aware of the spot.  Meaning... it didn't bother her in any way.  I don't think she even knew it was there.  She didn't lick it or anything. 
We eliminated one thing (snacks, protein, etc), for several weeks at a time. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: