Author Topic: Jackson Galaxy, on why you should think twice about...  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Jackson Galaxy, on why you should think twice about...
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »
Jackson Galaxy, your friendly neighborhood Cat Daddy, on why you should think twice about…
*toilet training your cat
*using an automated or self-cleaning litter box
*obsessively cleaning your cat’s litter box

Hmmmmm

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2012/01/18/the-politics-of-litter/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Jackson Galaxy, on why you should think twice about...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »
While I would have preferred to read an article rather than watch a video, I forced myself to watch it (I hate his theme song, LOL) to see what he had to say.

I agree with him wholeheartedly on the toilet training and auto litter boxes. I have a friend whose cat toilet trained HIMSELF, but I talked her into keeping a litter box for him too because he is prone to stones (removed by surgery) and one time he had to stay at the vet and he wouldn't use the litter they provided for him.  So now he has both, and she said, he uses both. I also have a friend with three cats with one who consistently poops in a corner.  She uses automatic boxes.  I think it's because the cat doesn't like the auto box, (and maybe takes too long to poop, possibly a constipation issue) but she doesn't want to hear me. She won't listen to me about dry food either.

However, I cannot agree with him about not cleaning the litter boxes.  My cats HATE dirty litter boxes. If I am sick or over worked, and don't dump and scrub for a couple weeks, they let me know they are not happy with their smelly boxes.  I scoop whenever I see something in them, which they also require.  And plastic holds odor.  I can't stand the smell.

I do have two who instantly mark the boxes as soon as the fresh clean ones are put down and the new litter is put in.  They do this by rolling in them.   funny2 The two who do this are The Litter Box Police and her Deputy.   The Litter Box Police also used to roll in them even when they were not so fresh but I have managed to train her out of it.  The Deputy still rolls in them when they are not fresh.  Bletch.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »
Interesting points about the toilet training... but I don't agree 100%

I've toilet trained all four of my kitties, including the one that is now 16 yrs old (she was 8 when I trained her).

I do understand his points about scenting, which is why I actually don't scrub the bowls as often as most folks.  I also tend to leave one toilet as the exclusive kitty potty.  It is true that for a few days after cleaning the bowls, I will get a few prezzies on the floor... but it doesn't last long, and I don't punish them for it.  As for scratching, they just paw at the seat and lid, and I don't discourage them from it. 

As for keeping track of healthy pees and poos, I actually find it easier with the toilet.  I would have never caught Pippin's liver problem if I hadn't noticed that the color of his pee had changed.  Also, I can hear how strong a stream is with the toilet, but would never notice a weak stream with a box... there would just be the clump of litter, and I wouldn't necessarily know whose it was.  There is no doubt when the organ meat may have been a bit rich, or the bone content a little high; the poop always tells and the toilet doesn't hinder that at all (but it definitely keeps the smell in check).

Personally, I think toilet training is all about how much patience the owner has.  It is not for the impatient person.  Kittens learn quickly, older kitties take more time.  It also takes an understanding, as Jason mentioned, of what the cat's natural proclivities are.  They do prefer to be able to smell the toilet.  Being tolerant of a slightly messy toilet is my way of "meeting them half way".

Oh yeah... we also have a "people only" toilet.. so keeps the competition down.   ;)
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
I found Jason's reasons "interesting."  Can't say I agree with him 100%.  I don't necessarily disagree with him either.  I think a lot depends on the cat.

Our red boy will run and go potty (in a dirty box), when he sees me scooping.  He never has gone outside of the box, or done any kind of improper eliminating.  I just thought he was very considerate.  :)  
I think as long as there are no little box issues or improper eliminating with any of the felines, I'll continue my ways.  

FMM, sounds like the use of the toilet works for your furkids AND you.  If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't change it either.  MC made an interesting point.  What if one of your kitties had to stay somewhere else...would they use an actual litter box?

Our boxes are scooped at least once a day. 
They are emptied and cleaned in rotation.  When one box gets low on litter, the litter is dumped into another.  The one that had low litter is cleaned and filled with new litter.  The rotation makes it so that all boxes get cleaned and new litter in a timely manner. 
All boxes are numbered for record keeping.   Bumpurr1
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:20:19 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »
I like your system Lola.  I'm very close to being completely clumping litter now.  I might adopt something like that. It's the boxes that smell, not the litter. Plastic just holds odors and stinks.  I have a unusually high sense of smell, unfortunately so I am always smelling bad smells that no one else can smell.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
I like your system Lola.  I'm very close to being completely clumping litter now.  I might adopt something like that. It's the boxes that smell, not the litter. Plastic just holds odors and stinks.  I have a unusually high sense of smell, unfortunately so I am always smelling bad smells that no one else can smell.

The litter can get stinky if little pieces are left behind.  I tend to scoop much more thoroughly, than the other scooper in the household.  But I also tend to be anal.   :D

I do agree with you about the plastic being the main culprit of stink. 

I am also VERY sensitive to odors and such.  Hubby says I was a bloodhound in a previous life. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »
Hubby says I was a bloodhound in a previous life. 

cryingfunny

P.S.  Nice to know I'm not the only person in the world who's anal.   :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:51:18 AM »
The litter can get stinky if little pieces are left behind.  I tend to scoop much more thoroughly, than the other scooper in the household.  But I also tend to be anal.   :D

I do agree with you about the plastic being the main culprit of stink. 

I am also VERY sensitive to odors and such.  Hubby says I was a bloodhound in a previous life. 

Having this super-sniffer is a curse.  I can't go anywhere without suffering sensory overload, and smells (and noise) are the worst part about it. As I get older it only gets worse.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
Having this super-sniffer is a curse.  I can't go anywhere without suffering sensory overload, and smells (and noise) are the worst part about it. As I get older it only gets worse.

Why is that?  I had HORRIBLE allergic reactions, when we got our first cat.  The more cats...the more my system became immune.  Why do I not become immune to perfumey smells and such as well?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 07:17:32 AM »
Why is that?  I had HORRIBLE allergic reactions, when we got our first cat.  The more cats...the more my system became immune.  Why do I not become immune to perfumey smells and such as well?

I don't know. For me, I have a sensory intolerance disorder. Smells, noise, lighting or other vision issues (such as I get sea sick if I have to look at someone wearing stripes or checks or dots) touch (certain textures make me cringe) taste (anyone who knows me knows I can't bear anything with strong flavor)

The Fibromyalgia has exacerbated this sensory intolerance but I have had it all my life.  Other family members have one or two issues, my older sister it's noise and smell, my mother it's noise, and I suspect my brother may have problems too.  I have a nephew also has has intolerance to smells.

I know I am not alone in my intolerance for smells.  Isn't it astounding how many people walk around smelling like they dumped a bottle of perfume over themselves?  People like that must have NO sense of smell at all!  funny2

Tags: