Author Topic: Metacam For Dogs  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Metacam For Dogs
« on: November 20, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »
I know most don't allow it for their cats. Does the same go for dogs?  If not, what is a good alternative? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Metacam For Dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
When Metacam isn't used, I think lower doses of Rimidyl are.

Dannyboy was on both, off and on, the last 2 years of his life.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
While all drugs have the potential for side effects, I don't think that metacam is such a serious issue as it is for cats.  Cats are just made differently.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
I thought it would be okay, but wanted to double check with the pros.  Thanks... as always. 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:13:16 AM »
Dr. Dobias commented about this drug here.

hope you can see it
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
Dr. Dobias commented about this drug here.

Unfortunately, those are the side effects of all NSAIDS on dogs. We talked about a lot of options when Dannyboy started having joint-pain and trouble walking sometimes. While some NSAIDS might have higher incidences of side-effects, the dog's level of pain has to be gauged when deciding which one to use. Herbal therapies can have the same effects, so natural isn't always a "safe" alternative.

Here's the veterinary warning that came out in the FDA newsletter back in 2006:

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/FDAVeterinarianNewsletter/ucm093573.htm

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »
There is no way to put this gently...  I wanted the info on the Metacam, because it was prescribed for my Lacy dog for bite injuries.  Short version... Sparky "snapped" and tried to kill her.

Lacy is home.  She looks like hell, but should be okay. 

Dog bites are brutal.  At one point, we thought Lacy was dead.  She was limp and Sparky had her by the throat and was shaking her.  They pretty much weigh the same.  Shaking means business… the dog intends to kill. 

Hubby sprayed water (from the other side of the yard), but it didn't phase Sparky this time. 

There was no food, toys, or snacks outside.  Nothing to fight over.  Thank GOD the fight was outside.  Sparky just snapped…. worse than ever.

This not being the first time, but the worst time, and her injuries (Lacy defended herself pretttttty hard for a while)... I made the decision to put her down. 

She has been an accident waiting to happen for a long time.  Often her actions could be explained away.  We thought we could fix her or that she would mellow out with age.  We were wrong.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:09:55 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
I'm sorry you had to go through that Lola. grouphug grouphug grouphug It's hard with dogs sometimes. Some just aren't good matches for companion animals. But then, with a dog that would snap suddenly, I wouldn't trust it at all--not around kids, not around other animals, not around anyone. If they can snap at any point whatsoever, they can snap at any time.

I really hope Lacy recovers soon to full health. With that kind of pain though, honestly, I'm not sure why they didn't prescribe something else stronger. Just be careful and watch for all of those NSAID adverse reactions. Check eyes regularly for yellowing, etc. Watch stools closely for darkening.  Watch urine coming out to make sure it's not an abnormal, dark color. Make sure no skin reactions occur--allergic reaction. Make sure there's not excessive drooling after giving the meds. And above all, make sure she drinks a lot of water even if you have to tease her with some chicken broth in it.

Those rules go with giving dogs ANY of the NSAIDS available to them though.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »
So sorry Lola :(
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »
Oh Lola, I'm so sorry to hear this.   grouphug
My girlfriend had a couple of German Shepherd/Chow siblings who would fight.  It took a lot of work, but they finally reached an equalibrium.  For a long time, though, they were very worried that they would have to let go of the most aggressive one.  It's a very difficult thing to contemplate. 

Again... so sorry.  Sad day.   :'(
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »
Oh {{{{{Lola}}}}!  I'm so sorry you had to go through that!  I'm sorry for your loss of your Sparky, but I can't see how any other decision could have been made, especially if she was hurt badly.

Prayers and crossed paws for lacy, please keep us posted.

Offline AnnStaub

• Chatter Bug
    • Pawsitively Pets
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 08:31:58 PM »
Oh no how horrible :( So sorry to hear about that... Another online friend of mine just went through something similar, except one of the dogs did not make it through. Very sad. Can't imagine going through the same experience. Hope that Lacy recovers well.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »
I am truly sorry Lola. I know that was a horrible experience and I know the decision you had to make was difficult. We are here if you need us.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
OMG, I am so sorry, Lola!  grouphug grouphug grouphug

I hope Lacy makes a speed recovery, physically and otherwise.  Are there any homeopathics that might help her with the pain, do you think?

I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  Sending major hugs and purrs your way . . .

grouphug grouphug grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
Any update on Lacy? 

And how are YOU doing? HeadButt

Tags: