This And That - Often Non Pet Related Topics > General Discussion

Replacing Cable TV with Hulu Live TV or ?

(1/2) > >>

Lola:
I have been thinking about ditching cable TV for a VERY long time.  Getting the hubby onboard to make the change... not so easy.

We already have Apple TV and Chromecast, so not much to change on our end.

I am curious how much my internet usage will spike though. 

Has anyone "cut the cord?"

DeeDee:
I don't know about doing that. I know for a fact that we get 1024 gigs a month (2 months over that without charge), so I suppose it depends on how much your TV is actually on. Here at the house, the one here in the living room is on 24/7, because if we're not watching it, it's set for the dogs.

We just got back from a place where the only thing our digital receiver would pick up was 4 PBS stations--2 for adults and 2 for children. We ended up using the wi-fi of the park and had Comcast.net streaming through our computer to watch a few things at night.

Streaming only at night from about 7:30 to 9:30, Monday through Thursday night and an hour of news in the morning for the weather, we ended up using 20 gigs in our comcast internet account according to the monitor I just looked at. If my exhausted brain is right, we used 20 gigs for around 15 hours. We'd go way over those 1024 gigs if we were streaming something all the time.

I'll leave the math up to you for a whole month since I don't know the hours of your watching habits.

Lola:
I thought about the internet usage going up, but haven't done the math.  I did wonder if it was more for people that have their TVs on for an hour or so... very little usage. 

If it was just me, I would go with an antenna and leave it at that.  Silly7

Middle Child:
I haven't had tv since February when TW went digital.  My TV is too old to be hooked up to digital cable box so I have no TV.  I don't miss it at all, I never watched it anyway. I'm still paying for it though because I was told I have a "bundle" price and if I drop the TV my phone and internet will double.

ThreeStep:

--- Quote from: Middle Child on May 26, 2018, 06:45:15 AM ---I haven't had tv since February when TW went digital.  My TV is too old to be hooked up to digital cable box so I have no TV.  I don't miss it at all, I never watched it anyway. I'm still paying for it though because I was told I have a "bundle" price and if I drop the TV my phone and internet will double.

--- End quote ---

You may want to revisit with your provider and ask to speak to customer retention instead of minimum-wage-cue-card-reader. Do you have options as far as providers are concerned?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version