« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:28:21 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: B.F.F.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:52:25 AM »
I asked the makers of BFF (Weruva) why so many flavors that include tuna.   <---ERROR...That wasn't my question to Weruva. 
My question was....I know fish is a controversial issue. I also know that SOME fish is okay...just not sure which ones, or why. Could you explain? Thanks

Their response:

Weruva understands this concern and We recommend a rotation of proteins! As far as the fish goes that we use - We use only Skipjack Tuna and other small breeds of fish - they are the lowest in mercury and other pollutants. We also hand clean all of our tuna to remove as many bones as it possible (virtually bone free!) this reduces the amount of harmful minerals (MG PH) that can contribute to crystals. You should always read those levels on your can!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:23:00 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:16:09 PM »
Ummm . . . that didn't really answer the question as to why they have so many flavors with tuna . . .  have they considered having more flavors without it?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 04:21:17 PM »
Ummm . . . that didn't really answer the question as to why they have so many flavors with tuna . . .  have they considered having more flavors without it?
In Weruva's defense, I didn't ask them why so many fish flavors.  My exact question was:
I know fish is a controversial issue. I also know that SOME fish is okay...just not sure which ones, or why. Could you explain? Thanks

Their response:
Weruva understands this concern and We recommend a rotation of proteins! As far as the fish goes that we use - We use only Skipjack Tuna and other small breeds of fish - they are the lowest in mercury and other pollutants. We also hand clean all of our tuna to remove as many bones as it possible (virtually bone free!) this reduces the amount of harmful minerals (MG PH) that can contribute to crystals. You should always read those levels on your can!

HUGE apologies for MY error.   :-[ I corrected my other post as well. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:23:41 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:07:41 PM »
Fed the tuna and chicken flavor.  BIG hit with all the felines, but one.  (No surprise there...always one.) Bumpurr1

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »
Fed the tuna and chicken flavor.  BIG hit with all the felines, but one.  (No surprise there...always one.) Bumpurr1

Would that one, by any chance, be the Cookie Monster (from the dinner table pic you posted)?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »
Would that one, by any chance, be the Cookie Monster (from the dinner table pic you posted)?

Yup.  I think Roxy is still mad that I chased her down, and wouldn't let her eat the stolen Christmas cookie.  There was probably less questionable ingredients in it, then there is in foods mfg. for pets.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 05:32:35 AM »
I know that tuna is problematic, and I really debated with myself about it, but I will admit that I got some of this food to drizzle over or lightly mix with raw when someone is reluctant to eat (new protein source, blander protein source, etc.)  I'm talking about maybe half of a 3 oz. packet, divided between six cats in the course of a day, if that.  It has worked well as a sort of "seasoning," and has been particularly helpful with Jenny, was the most reluctant of all the cats to accept raw.  One thing I do like about it is that the consistency makes it difficult for the cats to pick out little pieces and leave the raw food behind.  I have nine pouches left, and am hoping I won't need any more when they are gone.  I'm doing some research now, to see if I can find something more suitable if more "bribe food" is needed at that point.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
From what I remember, you can get away with using tuna the way you're doing it, CatGirl.  The issue is with making it a regular part of the rotation (as a main food) or ONLY feeding that protein and nothing else.  So I think you're fine doing what you're doing.  It's not like you plan to use it all the time.   Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 07:53:49 PM »
What Pookie said. 
Since you are monitoring weight.  I BELIEVE the packets are more calories.  Just throwing that info out there. 
Any topper that I used that was a healthy alternative, when transitioning ... none ever worked. 
You are transitioning...save yourself some money (and frustration), use a topper that you know works.  :)