Author Topic: "Finicky" or ...?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
"Finicky" or ...?
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:32:07 AM »
...just not "ready" or hungry  -- yet?

Bearing in mind that in general, most guidelines are suggested by the manufacturers of foods they have no business consuming in the first place, also gotta wonder how far off people (in general) are in regard to just how much (or little) is necessary?  

This appears to be consistent with all the larger Felids:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar#Hunting_and_diet

A successful generalist predator, the cougar will eat any animal it can catch, from insects to large ungulates (over 500 kg). Like all cats, it is an obligate carnivore meaning it needs to feed exclusively on meat to survive. ...Kills are generally estimated at around one large ungulate (hooved animal) every two weeks. The period shrinks for females raising young, and may be as short as one kill every three days when cubs are nearly mature at around 15 months.[26] The cat drags a kill to a preferred spot, covers it with brush, and returns to feed over a period of days. It is generally reported that the cougar is a non-scavenger and will rarely consume prey it has not killed; but deer carcasses left exposed for study were scavenged by cougars in California, suggesting more opportunistic behavior.[43]

Explains why they have to add animal digest and other disgusting things to "entice" the cat to eat when it is convenient for US, but is it truly a matter of being "finicky", such as when healthier meals are introduced?   Or is "finicky" just another cliche' conjured up in our endless attempt to conform a creature into something it simply is NOT?

Cats on high fiber diets don't seem satisfied, said Dr. Greco. They don't lose weight, and they become less active. But if they're fed more along the lines of what they would eat in the wild-high protein, and less grain, they seem more satisfied. "You don't see any cats out eating carrots on their own."

Because of its biology, a cat may eat dry food constantly-its brain never responds to the carbohydrates enough to tell the cat it's satisfied. Presented with a high protein, moderate fat canned food, the same cat may take 10 bites and walk away, Dr. Hodgkins said.

"Clients say, 'I don't think he likes it,'" Dr. Greco said. But their perception is colored by knowing how much he usually eats. "Here's an idea-maybe he's full."
 http://fdlibrary.yuku.com/topic/72#.TqeMpnI0quM

Had tried googling for a cat's natural eating habits in the past only to be inundated with pet food ads, so it is my belief that most (if not all of the truth) lies with the Lions, Tigers, Cougars, etc... whose only difference is that they are larger.  ;)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: "Finicky" or ...?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »
I have two self regulators.  They eat what they need to stay alive, both are very lean, and both are finicky, it's a never ending search to find foods that aren't horrible for them that they will eat (they won't eat the horrible foods either, but aren't offered them anyway) One is 16 months old, and the other is 12 + years old.

They have two cycles.  They usually eat the exact same amount every day, no less, no more. On occasion they will eat more than usual one day and then eat half as much the next.  And sometimes half as much the next after that, too.

The other two, ages 5 1/2 and 7 + will eat until they puke, if allowed.  Yes, grain free canned included. :)

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:45:19 PM »
Cats evolved to eat many small meals a day; according to the National Research Council's Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats, over a dozen in any given 24 hour period! A cat that goes more than 7.5 or 8 hours without food will often become nauseous, sometimes to the point of vomiting (usually a clear or yellowish, sometimes foamy, liquid).

On the other hand, their digestive system is set up such that indigestible material stays in their stomachs until everything else has been passed through, and is forced out once the stomach is emptied.

This is why it's important to let the cat get hungry between feedings, but to not let him stay hungry for very long. Feeding at least three or four times a day should be the minimum; for kittens, that should be four or five times a day.

AC

AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 06:30:38 AM »
My gang gets six meals a day, minimum. :)  They do go about 9 hours without food, overnight.  My boy does get sick if he has to fast for too long, which happens when he has to have blood work.

I'm going to be away tomorrow for about 12 hours.  It's unavoidable (wedding in a distant place) and I've been fretting all week about them going so long without food, but it can't be helped.  I've got the feliway going, that will help them cope.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »
Cats evolved to eat many small meals a day; according to the National Research Council's Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats, over a dozen in any given 24 hour period! A cat that goes more than 7.5 or 8 hours without food will often become nauseous, sometimes to the point of vomiting (usually a clear or yellowish, sometimes foamy, liquid).

On the other hand, their digestive system is set up such that indigestible material stays in their stomachs until everything else has been passed through, and is forced out once the stomach is emptied.

This is why it's important to let the cat get hungry between feedings, but to not let him stay hungry for very long. Feeding at least three or four times a day should be the minimum; for kittens, that should be four or five times a day.

AC

Carp!!!  I WAS feeding 3x day...cut them down to 2 meals (same amount of total food intake) a day.   bangshead
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org