Author Topic: How to know what meat is safe for raw feeding  (Read 5293 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: How to know what meat is safe for raw feeding
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 02:54:17 PM »

One nice development I'm noticing with the canned:  less poop!  That is a very welcome change, and I expect it to get better still when they are getting raw.  It could be that I won't need to go through as much litter as I was before, and that's money saved that can go for meat.  Lots of changes for these guys, as they're getting a litter upgrade, as well - to sWheat Scoop.  Clay scoopable was breaking my back when it was time to change out all the boxes, and I've been reading it's not good for them, anyway.

Didn't you say you have 2 dogs too? Just make sure that none of the new litters with any parts of walnut are used. It poisons dogs if they decide to get some litter box treats. A lot of litters are dangerous since they can cause blockages, but the walnut stuff is actually poisonous.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 07:46:12 PM »
:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Okay, less horrible commercial foods, then?

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I was making fun of the PFI (Pet Food Industry)... NOT you!  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 07:52:49 PM »

One nice development I'm noticing with the canned:  less poop!  That is a very welcome change, and I expect it to get better still when they are getting raw. 

Less carp in... less carp out.  :) 

They all do pee a LOT more.  That's VERY good though. 

Once you feed all raw... no poop smell at all.  For real. 

I was stunned, by the changes, when I went to all canned.  But going all raw... even more changes for the better.  Things improved that I had no idea were "wrong." 

A few things I can remember...
One cat would get eye boogers... no more.
Another would get mats... no more.
No fatties.
No dandruff.
A LOT more energy. 

BTW
I use Dr. Elsey's ultra no scent.  https://www.drelseys.com/shop/ultra/
I currently buy the 40 lb bags (more bang for your buck), but I am pretty sure my next purchase is going to be the 20 lb boxes though.  Chewy and Amazon are usually the same price, but Amazon (at least last week) only had it available from 3rd party sellers.  I am going to have to go with Chewy.  :(  I can buy it locally, but it is more expensive.  Go figure. 

PS
A cat that we thought had allergies... no more sneezing or anything, once I went to using Precious Cat.  When people mention their cats having allergies and they are using pine litters, scented litters, etc... I cringe. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:00:48 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 03:00:45 AM »
Didn't you say you have 2 dogs too? Just make sure that none of the new litters with any parts of walnut are used. It poisons dogs if they decide to get some litter box treats. A lot of litters are dangerous since they can cause blockages, but the walnut stuff is actually poisonous.

That's good to know, thank you!  sWheat Scoop is made entirely of wheat, but if it doesn't work out for them for some reason, I appreciate you letting me know about the walnut. 

Tags: