Author Topic: Rad Cat to begin HHP for chicken and turkey  (Read 6081 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Rad Cat to begin HHP for chicken and turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
Unfortunately today's AAFCO meeting might have a LOT to do with it:

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=4149.msg30002#new

Their methodology of testing foods might have something to do with it all.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153351554800509&id=184024450508

FDA did a presentation on their raw pet food testing - about a 45 minute presentation (and I don't believe there has ever been a presentation at AAFCO for testing of kibble foods for bacteria by FDA - I believe this is a first - will ask for confirmation on that). Roxanne Stone of Answers Pet Food bravely stood and addressed the crowd asking why USDA allows some bacteria and FDA has a zero tolerance. I asked if FDA would release the tonnage amounts of raw pet foods recalled as compared to the tonnage amounts of kibble pet foods all recalled for Salmonella (or other dangerous bacteria) - FDA didn't know. And Dr. Jean Hofve asked the best question thus far...she asked FDA if perhaps the issue FDA should be focused on is cleaning up meat. That didn't go over well either.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:16:49 PM »
Well they've already started it.  The new batches coming out are already HPP.

It's the FDA witch hunt on raw food manufacturers that has led them to do this.

Tracey's blog post:

http://radfood.com/blog/rad_cat_and_hpp.en#.Vp1wPxbVBQk.facebook

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 06:06:14 AM »
This is the link directly to Rad Cat's blog:
http://www.radfood.com/blog/rad_cat_and_hpp.en

The FDA is concerned about humans handling potentially “contaminated” food and having it sitting on dishes for their pets to eat.  Truthfully, there should be more concern about a cat that has just left the litter box, jumping on the counter or sauntering across your pillow.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:08:33 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:10:31 AM »
So, what exactly is occurring during HPP? High pressure can inactivate and kill bacteria. This is one of the main benefits of this process. Very little damage to proteins, depending on the pressure, occurs during HPP. At pressures above 400 MPa, a small amount of protein damage in meat is suspected as there occurs a lightening of the meat's color. For the most part, however, HPP does not appreciably alter the nutrient content of raw foods.³ This is in contrast to cooking, which can radically alter the nutrient content of meats. While HPP effectively kills bacteria, it is still being determined whether it is effective on viruses.⁴ HPP used under certain circumstances may kill prions, such as BSE or Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, but using it for this purpose may not be practical.

http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/high-pressure-processing-the-future-of-raw-cat-food

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 04:02:21 PM »
Mazy cat had her first meal of HPP Rad Cat chicken just now.  She ate it without any trouble, after an initial recoil because it wasn't what she expected (she usually has Cornish hen for this meal)

I still have about a month of the pre-HPP food left, but I wanted to know, before I run out, if her digestion will be able to handle the change.  So I'm going to start slow feeding her a little each day, while continuing the regular RC.  I don't have an HPP turkey to try at the moment but if she can handle the chicken I would think she can handle the turkey too.  I've going to use this batch slowly not only to acclimate her but to make it last throughout the remainder of her pre_HPP foods.  Don't want to feed her all HPP, then no HPP, then All Hpp again.

If that makes sense.

There's been a few complaints about the palatiblity both on the RC facebook page and the feline IBD raw group.  Thankfully Mazy cat isn't usually picky, it's her BODY that is picky.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 03:54:40 PM »
I'm glad to hear the HPP Rat Cat is going well.  What you said DOES make sense.  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
Well she's only had it the one time so far.  She kept it down last night, but puked up her lunch today.  However, she was overdue for a poop and I think that was her problem.  She was afraid to go downstairs because I had the carrier out this morning, you see.  I finally had to carry her down and put her in the litter box, when I got home from work.  She yelled and growled and hissed at me. I wouldn't let her leave the litter box until she settled down and pooped.  I was right.  When she finally realized I wasn't putting her in the carrier, in fact it was nowhere in sight, she had a huge poop. AND a big pee.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »
Puked her supper too. Thanks a lot Rad Cat. There are days I just don't think I can cope any more.  This is one of them.

To clarify, neither lunch nor supper was HPP Rad Cat.  But that doesn't mean the HPP food is not causing this.  this is not her normal pattern to puke her meals twice in one day.  This indicates digestive upset with a source.  My guess is the HPP Rad Cat from last night.

There is just nothing I can feed this cat enough of to keep her alive that she can keep down.  It's just hopeless

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 11:09:54 AM »
Puked her supper too. Thanks a lot Rad Cat. There are days I just don't think I can cope any more.  This is one of them.

To clarify, neither lunch nor supper was HPP Rad Cat.  But that doesn't mean the HPP food is not causing this.  this is not her normal pattern to puke her meals twice in one day.  This indicates digestive upset with a source.  My guess is the HPP Rad Cat from last night.

There is just nothing I can feed this cat enough of to keep her alive that she can keep down.  It's just hopeless

You know her better than any of us, that said, I wonder if her holding the poop and pee so long may have also contributed to her dinner coming up, along with the stress of seeing the carrier.  Really, the only way to know for sure is to give her the HPP again (without the carrier in sight  :D)  and see what happens.  If she horks multiple times after that, then you know it's definitely the HPP.

GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 06:03:38 PM »
You know her better than any of us, that said, I wonder if her holding the poop and pee so long may have also contributed to her dinner coming up, along with the stress of seeing the carrier.  Really, the only way to know for sure is to give her the HPP again (without the carrier in sight  :D)  and see what happens.  If she horks multiple times after that, then you know it's definitely the HPP.

GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes

Thank you for your insight.  Helps so much I cannot even tell you how much. kissyou

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 09:01:43 PM »
Sometimes we bang our heads against the wall so much, we feel hopeless.  It isn't.  I have faith that you will dust yourself off, get up, and figure things out.  You always do!  Pookie's suggestion is a good one!  It will give you the answers. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 10:22:48 PM »
One other thing:

It's not hopeless.  Look at where she was a few years ago, and how much better she is now, both in terms of health and quality of life.  You have come so far with her already, please try to keep that in mind on the bad days.

grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 07:36:22 AM »
Thanks to you both.  I was feeling pretty hopeless that day.  Mazy cat had another HPP meal Thursday night.  So far so good.  She will have another tonight.

My sister is coming today.  Mazy cat hasn't seen her in years, will not know her.  I'm going to give her tome Rescue Remedy.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 01:30:36 PM »
Hope you all have a nice visit with your sister!! 

Tags: radcat hpp