Author Topic: How many calories in blood?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
How many calories in blood?
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:13:52 PM »
Does blood have very many calories in it? I always have at least a half-cup of blood run-off in their stainless-steel meat-bowl at the end of every batch of meat. I've been giving it to Barkly because he likes it, and honestly I don't want to have to deal with blood-beard with Vlad.

I was in the kitchen earlier though, and it just hit my head, "I bet a vampire-bat would love this." Then it hit me that if vampire bats live off of blood, there had to be calories in it.

SO, how many calories does blood have in it? Barkly's little, and he can't handle a ton of extra calories. I'm wondering if I need to lessen his ounces of meat during those meals.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: How many calories in blood?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »
I'm not sure blood has calories in it, and if it does, it's probably not much.  It would be extra moisture and iron/B-vitamins/protein, though.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »
Not sure about calories but I probably know someone who will know.  I do know that blood is high is sodium though.

I'll be back with my answer.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »
Thank you both! The only thing I can think of that I can get calories from is "Black Pudding," but that's not a good info source since black pudding contains a lot of extra fat and oatmeal added in to skew the blood info.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »
I asked in my IBD raw feeding group.  So far the answers are more annoying than helpful.  "Mix it back in the meat" is what I keep being told.  I've reiterated twice that I am not asking what to do with the blood, I just want to know the calorie content and any other nutritional info anyone might know.

Of course you could just put it back into the meal, like they keep telling me to do.  funny2

But now I am curious and want to know. Hopefully the person who usually knows the answer, or can find the answer, whenever I want to know something,  will be around sooner or later.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 08:24:03 PM »
I tried stirring it back up. It's makes it sloppy after this happens and makes Vlad's beard bloody to the point that I have to get a bowl out to dip it in--just yuck. Even using a smaller bowl that holds his beard back somewhat doesn't work because his mustache still gets in and then drips down on the rest. Yeah. Yuck.

I hope your friend can answer it too. Thank you so much for trying to find out for me!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 08:26:41 PM »
more responses:

When you buy meat in the market, the blood has been drained. What you see when you defrost the meat is not blood.... There is very little blood in it. That's literally mostly moisture loss

Are you buying a whole prey live animal, and dressing it yourself? Draining the blood out yourself? That's when you will have blood

Finally something useful, Info on beef blood:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/2589517/2?quantity=2.5

And my favorite reply:

"asking for someone else"....about the calories raw food blood. Well, we are getting close to Halloween and all, you don't have a friend named Dracula do you???

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:38:05 PM »
I thought blood was pretty important to keep in a raw diet.  You don't have to reply.  I'm just rambling. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 08:41:45 PM »
I think so too.  But if the one person is right, unless Dee is processing the food herself, that isn't really blood at all, just red tinged water.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 08:51:16 PM »
"asking for someone else"....about the calories raw food blood. Well, we are getting close to Halloween and all, you don't have a friend named Dracula do you???

ROFLMAO! You know who Vlad is named after, right?  His full name is: Liliya Vita Bodgan Vlad Dragulea Tepes Superstitie

Yep, he's got a Romanian name for the man in Wallachia who signed his name "Vlad III Dragulea." http://www.exploringromania.com/vlad-dracul.html

No it comes from a distributor already ground up and frozen. It's thicker like blood though. Not watery. Maybe it's not blood though. Now I don't know.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 08:59:03 PM »
Oh yes. I didn't have this same issue when I was getting whole pieces and chopping it up myself. But life got crazy around here with my daddy and something had to give.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »
another reply:

If it is a dog, the taurine isn't as important. But it isn't blood, and it does have nutrients in it. In the U.S., animals are bled at slaughter.

Oh I've got to share about Vlad's name in the thread.  Would you mind? (it's a closed group)

I think ground up is always going to be runnier.  I know the Rad cat is, when if thaws, much runnier than, say a chunk of chicken breast or beef.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 09:14:23 PM »
I don't care if you share it. I just found that ironic as all get out.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »
Another reply:

No, not calories. But any water soluble vitamin will be in there.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
I guess I really do need to just go ahead and mix it up then be waiting with a bowl of warm water then.

Tags: